X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Colouring Book Theatre: Shazam!

In searching for the now mythis Superman colouring book, I found this oversized Shazam Book. Cover image borrowed from Treasury Comics.com.

Shazam was one of my favourite characters as a kid, it probably didn't hurt that I was like 3 years old when he made his return/merchandising blitz.

I got this in a lot of Treasury Comics, it had been used somewhat so I gave it to my son and from what I can see, he coloured two pages and it got put away.

The book is very well done, trying to emulate that classic C.C. Beck art style and tone, which was always a shock for a kid who got introduced to the character via the popular Filmation TV series.

The book opens with Captain Marvel beating the snot out of some bank robbers, one escapes but is found by Cap's evil nemesis, Dr. Sivana. Sivana puts "Bummy" in a device (that no doubt shaves uni-brows) and he's a dead ringer for cap. Great nickname, "Bummy" I'd be thrilled with that title.

So Sivana kidnaps a girl with the help of his Bummy Marvel and the real Cap investigates. Budget concious Sivana has made use of the discarded Eye brow hair from earlier.

Cap is now a wanted man so he consults the Wizard for advice, note that somebody has decided to add a little hilarity to the situation.

Out of no where an orphan boy shows up but wrong, he's a midget looking to cut himself in. I have met many a little person in my life and none have ever fooled me into thinking they were a ten year old.

Cap shows up finally and to prove who the real Cap is, he lays a royal beating on Bummy. It goes on for three pages! I would have never suspected Captain Marvel had anger issues.

Cap then turns into Billy, who then takes on the bad guy midget for two pages, what the hell? This is more violent than the Batman book. Billy then comments how easy it was and turns into Captain Marvel to bring his carcass back to the authorities.

Got a colouring book you'd like to guest review? Drop me a line!

Previous Colouring Book Theatre Entries can be found here.

Coming Next Week: Superman! (I ain't promising)

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

very cool,I love the cover
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

That book is very cool.
      I really love the pic with the good Shazam! fighting the Evil Shazam! Great stuff.
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

I only knew Shazam thru the Filmation series, as well. Later on, my kid brother borrowed the cartoon video series from the library. (I like Filmation better). When I was a kid, I had the Isis coloring book. I wish I still had it.
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

I love Shazam!....I have two grocery bags jam-packed full of my childhood coloring books stashed away in my trunk. Lots of them you've reviewed here. Brings back memories.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
            Museum Super Collector
            • May 18, 2007

Wow that brings back memories! That was one of four giant superhero coloring books in the series with the other three being Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. I had all but the WW one but the Shazam was my favorite. I will never forget drawing horns and genitalia on Billy Batson because I thought he was a dork but I loved Captain marvel. In retrospect I am lucky a psychiatrist never got a hold of that book after I was done!
            - Sweep

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

What is it with Whitman and making little people criminals disguised as kids? I have an old Batman coloring book (originally from the 60s TV show era) where the Penguin employs a midget to impersonate a kid and attack Batman and Robin!

Someone had a thing against short people at Whitman...

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by Sweep Secondhand
                Wow that brings back memories! That was one of four giant superhero coloring books in the series with the other three being Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. I had all but the WW one but the Shazam was my favorite. I will never forget drawing horns and genitalia on Billy Batson because I thought he was a dork but I loved Captain marvel. In retrospect I am lucky a psychiatrist never got a hold of that book after I was done!
                I have the Wonder Woamn one. It's at my school. One of the former employees found it on the street in a pile of junk, and gave it to me. Some of the pages are colored. I use it to make copies for my kids.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• monkey tennis
                  "Kiss my face."
                  • Jun 8, 2007

Nice.

I also love Treasury Comics.

Glad the Wizard knows everything about nookie...

"I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎