Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Uh... you may have missed my post where she wears the shirt to blend in, when she comes to Earth, so she doesn't stand out and look alien. It's not like she's a hardcore fan.

Why am I posting here?

This thread got weird.

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

Okay, back to the movie. I agree. It was good, not great. The first half felt rushed leaving me fairly unfeeling toward the characters. There’s just not enough development. the banter between Danvers and Fury was a bit forced for me. The second half picks up once the real story kicks in and the true villain emerges. I know very little about Captain Marvel so this worked for me. I’d give it a soft thumbs up.

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

And my experience with NIN was that a tone of girls liked them. I was introduced to them by two girls who I went to college with. They were both pretty, popular girls. Though, as mentioned by others, it’s a fairly irrelevant point as she only takes the shirt as a cover.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji

This thread got weird.
          Got weird? Dude, where have you been? The thread started out with complaints that the teenage girl in the Bumblebee movie had a Motorhead t-shirt. Then came the girls can't really be fans of bands like Motorhead or NIN followed up by the there were no Hot Topics in the 80s and 90s stuff. It has been weird from the start.

I mean, yeah, there were no Hot Topic stores when I was a kid. But wayyyyyy back in the 80s there was this store called "Spencer Gifts" (along with Disc Jockey and Musicland) where you could buy posters and T-shirts of your favorite Bands. BTW: that's where I got my Ozzy Ultimate Sin tee.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

My family and I liked the movie.
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

I somehow got past the huge t-shirt issue to enjoy the movie. It was a lot of fun and really placed Captain Marvel as one of the most powerful characters in the MCU. I especially enjoy how Marvel continues to weave together all 21 of their films. Each has more than enough to stand on its own and to be enjoyed by the non-Marvel fans, but they still manage to overload them with plenty of easter eggs to keep nerds like me feeling like I'm in on the secret.

And not to digress too much, but my wife was a huge NIN fan in the 90's. She wore the t-shirt. She wasn't a pilot, but she was a Division 1 scholarship athlete, clean cut and did no drugs or alcohol. She did wear the t-shirt, though. She was not an alien who simply wore it to fit in. And she saw them for the 5th time when she was a Foreign Service Officer stationed in Brazil.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

I really wished that the "Comics Gate" morons would stop already. They have hurt feelings because it's not "THEIR" version of Captain Marvel (Thanos storyline) and are blaming the fact that Carol Danvers female version of Captain Marvel on the PC police. They need to light up a fat one and get on with their lives...seriously. They haven't even seen the movie yet...but it is some vast conspiracy. THEIR Captain Marvel DIED!!! 30 + years ago of cancer...but yet it is a vast conspiracy by the PC Police/Comics Gate. They want to pick and choose what suits them...They can accept the Nick Fury reboot as a black man but can't accept Captain Marvel as a woman??!!?? But it is a vast conspiracy by the PC Police. I just don't get it. These people really need to get a life. I said it earlier in this thread...Forget the Captain Marvel of Thanos fame and go see the movie and judge it on what you see. Carol Danvers has NOTHING to do with the old Captain Marvel. It's not rocket science.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Look, didn't Marvel specifically reboot Carol Danvers a few years ago as Captain Marvel? Isn't that what this film is inspired by? IIRC the reboot comic did well. Warbird/Marvel has been a significant presence in comics for decades, one of Marvel's female A-listers and probably the most powerful.

I personally would have preferred she remain Ms. Marvel, as the only Captain Marvel I acknowledge is the Big Red Cheese. But I have almost no investiture in this "fight", I'm fairly traditionalist with my comics and not a Marvelite. To me the films are Elseworlds and stand or fall on their own merits.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

What's truly odd, is that I don't think she is ever referred to as "Captain" at any point in the film. Correct me if I'm wrong. It may has well have been a Ms. Marvel film.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                      Banned
                      • Jun 23, 2001

What's truly odd, is that I don't think she is ever referred to as "Captain" at any point in the film. Correct me if I'm wrong. It may has well have been a Ms. Marvel film.
                      I think you are right. I don't remember her being called Captain Marvel.

Comment

• Wee67
                        Museum Correspondent
                        • Apr 2, 2002

The only reference to "Captain" is in the end credits.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        I personally would have preferred she remain Ms. Marvel, as the only Captain Marvel I acknowledge is the Big Red Cheese. .
                        Maybe I read too much into, but when Danvers is changing the color of her suit, I thought there was a Shazam/Captain Marvel reference. Before hitting on the green and white (a reference to the original 60's Marvel Captain Marel) and landing on the blue and red, she briefly stops on a red and yellow version. She and Monica look at each other like red and yellow is not a good combo for Captain Marvel. Then again, I may be looking for a reference that's not there.
                        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                          I think you are right. I don't remember her being called Captain Marvel.
                          The little girl calls her captain at the end when she gives her back her flight jacket.

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 18, 2007

My wife and I saw it tonight. She liked it better than Aquaman, and Wonder woman.
                            I enjoyed it but went into it not knowing much about her. When I started it, I was disappointed because I thought she was human and not alien, then I realized they were bouncing around the time line. Not knowing much about Captain Marvel, I would have enjoyed a little more straight forward origin story. That would have gotten me invested in the character much sooner. I really liked the story and the characters, but would have liked a little more development of the Danvers character. Her flashback sequence at the end about her always getting back up seemed to be the major reveal of who she was.

Hey great show, I wanted to stay in my seat and see it again. Outside the theatre (Alamo) they had two actors dressed as Captain Marvel and Captain America taking pictures with kids and families. Super fun.
                            As to the NIN T shirt, never heard of them before, I was irritated by the backwards N, which is the only reason I even know about what the great debate is over. Also I agree the complaint has no merit as if you see the show you know why she is wearing it. That's as deep as I will go into that irrelevant argument.
                            See the movie, it was fun and that's what these movies are for everybody. insert smiley face here.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Mar-Vell's been dead for close to 40 years, they need to get over it. I don't recall him even showing up in Infinity War either. Its not a PC thing, Danvers is a legit character in her own right.

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                              I really wished that the "Comics Gate" morons would stop already. They have hurt feelings because it's not "THEIR" version of Captain Marvel (Thanos storyline) and are blaming the fact that Carol Danvers female version of Captain Marvel on the PC police. They need to light up a fat one and get on with their lives...seriously. They haven't even seen the movie yet...but it is some vast conspiracy. THEIR Captain Marvel DIED!!! 30 + years ago of cancer...but yet it is a vast conspiracy by the PC Police/Comics Gate. They want to pick and choose what suits them...They can accept the Nick Fury reboot as a black man but can't accept Captain Marvel as a woman??!!?? But it is a vast conspiracy by the PC Police. I just don't get it. These people really need to get a life. I said it earlier in this thread...Forget the Captain Marvel of Thanos fame and go see the movie and judge it on what you see. Carol Danvers has NOTHING to do with the old Captain Marvel. It's not rocket science.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• JDeRouen
                                Author of Small Things
                                • Jun 14, 2001

This thread is about the movie, not politics. STOP.
                                --
                                Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎