Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CAPTAIN MARVEL: The SPOILER Thread

Images

CAPTAIN MARVEL: The SPOILER Thread

With CAPTAIN MARVEL set to open this week, I figured it was time to launch threads, spoilery and non-spoilery, to discuss what has become, for some and to some, MARVEL痴 most divisive film. As stated above, this thread would be for spoilery discussions and reviews.

As a strong lover of female superheroes, be they DC, MARVEL or any other publishing house, I知 personally looking forward to seeing CAPTAIN MARVEL on the big screen. I値l be curious to see how they approach her powerset, her backstory and seeing Goose the cat (since I知 also a cat-lover).
    Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Images
    I'm not going to get political...but I really hope this film doesn't spend all it's time shoving identity politics down our throats. I just want to unplug, sit in a theater and enjoy a movie for a couple of hours without being "preached" at. Ya know what I mean?

They already did that with Black Panther.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bat View Post
    I'm not going to get political...but I really hope this film doesn't spend all it's time shoving identity politics down our throats. I just want to unplug, sit in a theater and enjoy a movie for a couple of hours without being "preached" at. Ya know what I mean?

agree 100 percent!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bat View Post

I don't think politics will be the problem. I think it's going to be the kitschy 90's setting. I keep pointing out no straight-laced model-looking chick was wearing a NIN shirt in the 90's. Hot Topic did not exist and those girls were nowhere near an alt-industrial show. She would be sporting Hootie or Dave Matthews, but that scene hasn't aged well, so it would make her look like a trendoid. I knew a girl who was a lot like this Danvers; cute blonde who joined the air force. She was the most straight-laced girl alive. There was nothing edgy about her and certainly not a smartass.

So I haven't seen anything authentic about Danvers, not in the way Stark, Rogers, T'Challa and Strange have traits that are credible to their characters.

hedrap, when I saw the trailer for Bumblebee, the first thing I noticed was the young girl playing the lead was wearing a Motorhead shirt... I immediately laughed and said to the wife, "yeah, because every teenage girl in the 80s wore a Motorhead shirt!"
    Last edited by cockyhoskins; Mar 5, '19 at 10:19 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cockyhoskins View Post
    hedrap, when I saw the trailer for Bumblebee, the first thing I noticed was the young girl playing the lead was wearing a Motorhead shirt... I immediately laughed and said to the wife, "yeah, because every teenage girl in the 80s wore a Motorhead shirt!"
    It's annoying as hell, isn't it? Every Motorhead dude I knew looked like the lead singer for Monster Magnet.

Those of us listening to any of these bands at that time were given a constant "ugh" reaction. I keep waiting for the Marilyn Manson revisionism. The guy was practically the devil.

Quick edit: I had some chick on FB try and push back by saying she listened to NIN in the 90's. I said "yeah, but did you look like Brie Larson"? Crickets.

I’ve just seen the film.

She steals the shirt to cover up her alien costume. It’s not that Carol Danvers is a huge NIN fan in 1995.
    PLEASE HELP ME WITH THESE CARDS:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cockyhoskins View Post
    My sister wore one, she got me into Motorhead and she was one of the most popular people in her school. It happened.

Images
    Good grief. My sister had a Motorhead T-shirt and I had Dio. I will now go back to avoiding this section.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Blog Entries
    I also cry BS on the NIN thing, I knew plenty of female fans in '93 and I even married a woman who played "March of the Pigs" non stop. It was commonplace on my campus. Come on, we're better than this.