X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

CAPTAIN MARVEL: The SPOILER Thread

With CAPTAIN MARVEL set to open this week, I figured it was time to launch threads, spoilery and non-spoilery, to discuss what has become, for some and to some, MARVEL’s most divisive film. As stated above, this thread would be for spoilery discussions and reviews.

As a strong lover of female superheroes, be they DC, MARVEL or any other publishing house, I’m personally looking forward to seeing CAPTAIN MARVEL on the big screen. I’ll be curious to see how they approach her powerset, her backstory and seeing Goose the cat (since I’m also a cat-lover).
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

I'm not going to get political...but I really hope this film doesn't spend all it's time shoving identity politics down our throats. I just want to unplug, sit in a theater and enjoy a movie for a couple of hours without being "preached" at. Ya know what I mean?

They already did that with Black Panther.
    sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by The Bat
      I'm not going to get political...but I really hope this film doesn't spend all it's time shoving identity politics down our throats. I just want to unplug, sit in a theater and enjoy a movie for a couple of hours without being "preached" at. Ya know what I mean?

agree 100 percent!

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by The Bat

I don't think politics will be the problem. I think it's going to be the kitschy 90's setting. I keep pointing out no straight-laced model-looking chick was wearing a NIN shirt in the 90's. Hot Topic did not exist and those girls were nowhere near an alt-industrial show. She would be sporting Hootie or Dave Matthews, but that scene hasn't aged well, so it would make her look like a trendoid. I knew a girl who was a lot like this Danvers; cute blonde who joined the air force. She was the most straight-laced girl alive. There was nothing edgy about her and certainly not a smartass.

So I haven't seen anything authentic about Danvers, not in the way Stark, Rogers, T'Challa and Strange have traits that are credible to their characters.

Comment

• cockyhoskins
          Career Member
          • Jan 13, 2009

hedrap, when I saw the trailer for Bumblebee, the first thing I noticed was the young girl playing the lead was wearing a Motorhead shirt... I immediately laughed and said to the wife, "yeah, because every teenage girl in the 80s wore a Motorhead shirt!"
          Last edited by cockyhoskins; Mar 5, '19, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by cockyhoskins
            hedrap, when I saw the trailer for Bumblebee, the first thing I noticed was the young girl playing the lead was wearing a Motorhead shirt... I immediately laughed and said to the wife, "yeah, because every teenage girl in the 80s wore a Motorhead shirt!"
            It's annoying as hell, isn't it? Every Motorhead dude I knew looked like the lead singer for Monster Magnet.

Those of us listening to any of these bands at that time were given a constant "ugh" reaction. I keep waiting for the Marilyn Manson revisionism. The guy was practically the devil.

Quick edit: I had some chick on FB try and push back by saying she listened to NIN in the 90's. I said "yeah, but did you look like Brie Larson"? Crickets.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

I’ve just seen the film.

She steals the shirt to cover up her alien costume. It’s not that Carol Danvers is a huge NIN fan in 1995.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cockyhoskins
                My sister wore one, she got me into Motorhead and she was one of the most popular people in her school. It happened.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Good grief. My sister had a Motorhead T-shirt and I had Dio. I will now go back to avoiding this section.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I also cry BS on the NIN thing, I knew plenty of female fans in '93 and I even married a woman who played "March of the Pigs" non stop. It was commonplace on my campus. Come on, we're better than this.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                      Banned
                      • Jun 23, 2001

I enjoyed the movie and all I have to say are these 3 things:

If you are going to the movie to see the Captain Marvel of "Thanos" fame...then don't go see this movie. You will be disappointed. I am a DC fan more than a Marvel fan an absorbed the "Thanos" Captain Marvel stuff through my brother Wannabemego. I know he will be disappointed in the movie. I wasn't because I knew it wasn't going to be that movie but the movie that was made...a fun movie that fits in the grand scheme of Marvel's flowchart/Phasing.

THIS is the Green Lantern Movie that DC failed to make with the Ryan Reynolds movie they put out...and that's all I am gonna say...you will see what I mean when you go see the movie.

Last but not least FLURKIN!!!

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

This is a good time, but not a great one. There's a certain something I can't put my finger on, that this film was lacking. I enjoyed it, but didn't find my heart thrilled with joy the way some of Marvel's more recent efforts have done. It does feel a bit dry in spots, and some of the action doesn't quite ignite. Maybe a few more watches and I'll love the characters more, but I found the non-linear backwards telling of the origin to be detrimental. It's the story of Vers finding out she is Carol Danvers, but I don't know... I guess it isn't easy to warm up to a character who doesn't know herself, and the filmmakers don't present in a way that you immediately are rooting for. It's more challenging, to be sure, but I'm not sure it's more enjoyable.

It is definitely a film for lovers of cats, like myself. The post credits scene is screaming to become a meme or gif.

I too thought it seemed like the Green Lantern Corps.

The Stan Lee cameo is absolutely wonderful and so smart given the 1995 time period. Bravo!

For me, Jackson is the reason to watch. It's far too easy given his proliferation of film roles and appearances to dismiss him and say, "Oh there's Samuel L. Jackson again doing his thing." Not so! This is a completely different Nick Fury than what we see in the present day set films. His ability to retain the character's core, but portray a young and optimistic Fury are a real credit to the actor, of course enhanced by the digital makeup. I was really impressed.

Did I mention the 3D was jaw droopingly excellent? Marvel's conversions are just getting better and better. I've already preordered the REGION FREE 3D Blu Ray from the UK (Since Disney no longer sells 3D Blu Ray in the US). With shipping, it will arrive to my door for about $21, which is amazing.

Here's where I ordered:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                          Moderation Engineer
                          • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          Good grief. My sister had a Motorhead T-shirt and I had Dio. I will now go back to avoiding this section.
                          I wish I could find my Dio shirt. I also wish I could still fit into it. Probably in the box with my 28" acid washed jeans.

I don't really watch movies looking for anachronisms, but now I'll probably be obsessed. I won't be too disappointed if the movie doesn't blow me away. I love the toys that it's spawned.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                            I also cry BS on the NIN thing, I knew plenty of female fans in '93 and I even married a woman who played "March of the Pigs" non stop. It was commonplace on my campus. Come on, we're better than this.
                            Better than what? You want me to dismiss the hundreds of hours I spent around these bands, and not just in the audience. I'm talking about the mix of traits they made for Danvers. An ace test pilot who could be a model? OK. In the 1990's? Maybe. And she's listens to NIN cuz she's got 'tude? Uh, no.

Let's make it anecdotal. My wife modeled til she got told she wasn't tall enough. During college, she wanted to join the Army, got talked out of that and into Air Steward school. Then she met me, who took her to see NIN on the Broken tour, and she wore her black leather jacket. I'd seen them several times by that point with my friend who knew them from their days at the Phantasy, pre-Hate Machine. All those similar traits to Danvers and at no point did she ever throw on my NIN shirt or pose as a fan.

Were there female fans? Of course. One girl I always ran into wore a spiked dog collar and would stand on the edge of the pit. If you hit her, she maced you. Every show. She looked like Lori Petty, not Lori Singer. Another one, the super hot one who was a biker/bikini model, was a magnet for all the bands. I used to run into her at shoots and couldn't talk to her, because I knew she messed around with fugly slobs like Chuck Billy. Why? Because they all smoked weed at minimum.

Does Danvers get drug tested? Because you better damn well believe some old-*** superior officer in the 90's, just coming out of the 80's drug war, would have ordered it. The NIN image of the 90's is not the Johnny Cash/Fincher soundtrack image of today.

The male version of this is the forced kowbunga-ness to Aquaman. Kewl over authentic. Cast Ronda Rousey as Danvers or put Brie in a Pearl Jam shirt, and I'd buy either in a sec.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

i surrender, you know more than me and my experiences and perspective aren't as valuable as yours. She should be wearing a Cardigans shirt, wrecked the whole darn movie.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎