X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

CAPTAIN MARVEL: The NON-SPOILER Thread

With CAPTAIN MARVEL opening this week, I figured it was time to launch threads, spoilery and non-spoilery, to discuss what has become, for some and to some, MARVEL’s most divisive film. As stated above, this thread would be for non-spoilery discussions and reviews.

As a strong lover of female superheroes, be they DC, MARVEL or any other publishing house, I’m personally looking forward to seeing CAPTAIN MARVEL on the big screen. I’ll be curious to see how they approach her powerset, her backstory and seeing Goose the cat (since I’m also a cat-lover).
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I have no problem whatsoever with Carol Danvers or a female Captain Marvel...the only thing I'm tired of is the media beating us over the head with it already.
    They even have to display the word "HER" in the trailers. Yes. She's a woman. We get it.

These people act like there's never been a female lead character in a movie like this. Guess they never saw Aliens, Terminator 2, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Underworld, Kill Bill...

I also think it kinda dismisses the contributions of all the other female Marvel characters we HAVE seen just because they weren't the star of the show. Black Widow, Peggy Carter, Gamora, Nebula, Scarlet Witch, Okoye, even Pepper Potts and Jane Foster, have ALL been great.

I'm still hoping for my two favorite Marvel ladies to get their own movies...Spider-Woman and She-Hulk.
    Last edited by enyawd72; Mar 6, '19, 2:14 PM.

Comment

• knight errant00
      8 Inch Action Figure
      • Nov 15, 2005

I have just one spoiler-free answer I'd like to get from any of you who see the movie opening week:

Does anything happen in it that I need to see before the next Avengers?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Somebody starts a "non spoiler" thread, first poster posts a spoiler.
        Last edited by LonnieFisher; Mar 6, '19, 2:30 AM.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

^Don't know how they missed the big bold Non Spoiler in the title.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

It’s an okay film, but somewhat unremarkable.

The 3D was spectacular. There’s just something about the tone that was off.

I don’t know. Not as good as I wanted it to be. There’s humor, but I didn’t find myself thrilled with the giddy smile I usually have with these things.

Nick Fury is really wonderful though.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Man, I have never read a comic featuring Captain Marvel in any gender. I only know them from Twinkies ads.

That's a new one for me, going cold into a Marvel movie.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Pretty much the same for me. I remember reading my big brother's Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel... which, (I could be wrong) was the very first premium format "adult aimed" book called a Graphic Novel, which in those days of Marvel was a magazine sized book on good paper with a card stock cover. Jim Starlin's art both impressed me and freaked me out.

But I really know next to nothing about the comic character in any form.

Comment

• Godzilla
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 3, 2002

I agree, I 100% know the character from covers and never read a comic. I'd love to hear more reviews. I'll likely see it with my kids in a couple of weeks.
                  Mortui Vivos Docent
                  The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

I'm a little bugged by a couple of things from the media and social chatter that ultimately have nothing to do with why I am generally "on the fence" in regards to this movie. Those reasons are purely my own and independent of the chatter.

First, there is a narrative (that all of you will see through, as well) that this is a female first for comic book movies and we all know "Wonder Woman" was an awesomely fun movie and a commercial success....WITH A KNOWN CHARACTER.

Second, I have ZERO knowledge of this incarnation of the character and the whole thing plays like Green Lantern, to me.

Third, the best selling Comic Book character of the Golden Age of Comics....the first Superhero to make it to the Silver Screen (at least before Batman, Captain America, or Superman)....was Captain Marvel. But not this Captain Marvel, who is actually a derivative of another Captain Mar-Vell, and holy-sh*t this gets complicated and I wind up throwing my hands up because, don't care.

And THAT Captain Marvel has a movie called "Shazam!" in just a few more weeks and I am far more excited about that than I am about this movie.

In summation, I WAS more involved with Marvel Movies because DC was so damned dark. And then Wonder Woman flipped the script and Marvel movies, in response or by coincidence, chose to phase 2 into something that doesn't remember, "Hey, it's a damned comic book movie!".
                    Last edited by Makernaut; Mar 8, '19, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

This is actually Marvel’s Captain Marvel...

sigpic

Comment

• knight errant00
                        8 Inch Action Figure
                        • Nov 15, 2005

So, back to my question: Does anything happen in Captain Marvel that I need to see before Avengers Endgame?

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Nope, not really. Can't be 100% sure about Endgame, but it does tie to Infinity War. I don't think it's a spoiler to suggest that Captain Marvel herself will play a role in Endgame, so I would want to know about her before seeing Endgame. But you could likely skip this film and still get what you need for Endgame.

Comment

• pmwasson
                            Maker
                            • Sep 12, 2007

Looks to be a hit:

'Captain Marvel' Delivers a Massive $153M Domestic Opening and $455M Worldwide
                            With an estimated $153 million, Captain Marvel proved a massive success, bringing in the third highest March opening of all-time, and don't be surprised to see actuals push the film's total a bit higher come Monday afternoon.
                            I just got back from seeing it and really liked it.
                            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎