• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Krypt0nite
    Radioactive!
    • Feb 13, 2010

Hawkman!

The Winged Wonder arrived today!

Great headsculpt, relatively in-scale. The wings are much thinner than I expected and probably won't stand up to much play. The wings attach via Velcro and can be positioned in many configurations. All in all, a very good entry by FTC.
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

looks great. I am thinking might look better on a Zica body though

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

Mine is on the way. Can't wait after seeing these pics. WOW!
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Boywonder0
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 29, 2007

Hawkman looks awesome! Can't wait for mine to arrive. Great job FTC!
        Thanks for the pictures!

Comment

• Krypt0nite
          Radioactive!
          • Feb 13, 2010

Here he is after tucking his pants into his boots and tinkering with the wing placement.

Comment

• rodkeith
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 16, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            looks great. I am thinking might look better on a Zica body though
            I agree, a more buff body would help. Other than that (which is easy to fix), I like!

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

I cannot wait to get this once we can get in parts. I want to make many Hawkmen & Hawkwomen!!!
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

Thanks, Krypt0nite! Mine will be here on Wednesday.

I like him! I'm still a bit torn on how I feel about the wings; they look better in your last picture, but they look smaller than maybe I am used to seeing on Hawkman. The thinness makes sense; if they were heavy, he might have problems standing.

As is (and without having my own yet), I'm happy with Hawkman, but I look forward to seeing what tweaks people do. I may switch him to a Type-S body, depending on how the skin tone looks.

Comment

• comicmike
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 22, 2009

Thanks a lot for the detailed pictures of Hawkman

Comment

• scott metzger
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 9, 2007

Opened up mine last night. Head is good, but what is with that black mouth line? It doesn't look open, it's too thick to be closed; should have just left it unpainted or used white. The sculpting is some of the best we've seen in a while, though, and they didn't truncate the head wings to fit the package like they did with Firestorm's flame hair. The harness on the chest is well done, too, a good use of the standard stretch elastic used for the Robin belt, so it fits the style perfectly. The hawk emblem is a little small, but still looks good and finishes the classic Silver Age look quite well. The pants/trunks also look good, and the belt works just fine with the way the trunks are done. But the flesh chest piece is really cheap, not even hemmed along the arms, and looks terrible. First thing I did was pull it off and use the top half of a Tarzan flesh suit instead. At least now it looks...finished. I wasn't worried about attaching the wings because, oh, lordy, those wings. They look even worse in person. You have to set them ridiculously low to avoid entangling them with the mask wings, and then they just...flop there. There's no body to them, and they look like something I would have made out of construction paper when I was a kid, then decided even my 8 year old self couldn't give them a pass. I'm not sure how Mego would have done it, but I can't see them doing something this cheap and outright embarrassing. I held them in place to see if I could fudge them somehow and just sew them on the back and...I couldn't do it. I've got a pair of the Doc Mego gray wings on the way, and I'm glad I got them.

So I think this can turn into a good figure, but it definitely had some major problems out of the package. He's already redone in more classic Mego style with the full flesh top and a pair of classic red boots, and the coming wings should finish him off nicely. I'll have a solid "Mego" Hawkman, but he didn't fully come out of the package that way.

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

A couple of people have said to change the body. I am a purest. If it came on that body, it should be on that body.

I like Mego figures to stay original - and mego like figures to do likewise. It is part of the appeal.

If your collection is mainly customs though, I could see the change as a positive.

And the mouth line Scott mentioned - I don't know. At first glance at least in this photo) l like it. Other than AJ, Trek variants, I can't remember any other white human male faces with lip treatment. Those are all pink lips though, so not really the same.

As far as what Scott says about the wings - they do look cheap. But what would Mego have done?

-The only precedence I see is Falcon. So sew on cloth wings with feather lines dyed on. Sewn at shoulder blades but not to sleeves (obviously).
                      OR
                      -Maybe similar to FTV but in thin plastic (these look like foam craft paper. ???)
                      -Maybe a slightly thick plastic contoured instead of drawing feather lines? Probably no second articulation. Micronauts style attachment?
                      -Maybe a vinyl cape split (or in two pieces) sewn on. -With or without feather markings

The wings will always be a sticking point.

I'm glad he is out there. And as someone who didn't just accept SHAZAM in all his inaccuracies, but LOVED him, I think I will give Hawkman a pass on his issues.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

It's very Mego-esque. The panel lines on the mouth are strange, but FTC seems to be doing comic figures, so those show up on a lot of their new stuff. Definitely not something Mego would have done, but seem par for the course with FTC's figures.

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
                          Museum Patron
                          • Apr 3, 2015

Nice, thanks for the pics. Mine is out for delivery today!

Comment

• powersthatbe
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 27, 2010

just got mine in the mail today(and Farrah too from target).I think the head sculpt is great, yeah i can see issues with the wings , but I imagined them to be soft e like falcons so not a big thing for me, as long as they stay on for display purposes . and I was able to put that pesky part of the belt that sticks out under his yellow harness.

Comment

• Type Two
                              Career Member
                              • Sep 20, 2010

I have been meaning to post pics, but can't find my Doc Mego soft rubber wings.

It really has become an obsession trying to find those wings. I know I have them somewhere!

The wife and kids think I have lost my mind as I have been mumbling "Where are my wings? Where are my wings?" for the past week.
                              Type Two: The Mego body, not the disease.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎