X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Review: Big Jim : A World of Adventures

As a kid of the early 1970s, Big Jim rocked my world. I'm also happy I have video evidence of me receiving a Big Jim for Christmas in 1974.

As you can see, I'm pretty happy with the guy. As a lover of collector books, i've always felt Big Jim was kind of ....underserved. (more after the jump)

I have beautiful books on GI Joe, Star Wars, Mego etc but Mattel's man of action never got much love. That's why I'm so excited about this, even if it's entirely in French.

Yes, Big Jim: un Monde d'Aventures is from France, not surprisingly though considering that after leaving US toy shelves in 1976, Big Jim would enjoy massive success in Europe for another decade, becoming a Spy, a pirate, a cowboy and eventually heading off into outer space.

Despite this language barrier ( Trust me my French is at a "D student in ninth grade" level) I still heartily recommend this book because it is just wall to wall eye candy!

Author Pascal Pinteau has gone above and beyond with this and created a 286-page publication that explodes with colour. Toy pictures, catalogs, comics all merged into a buffet that I'll admit, had me checking eBay.

All of Big Jim's eras are covered including his early development at Mattel including a fun part about how he was marketed in the United Kingdom as a spy known as "Mark Strong: The Man from M.A.T.T.E.L". Mark Strong even had his own comic book and this wouldn't be the last time Jim got a comic in foreign countries.

The Wolf P.A.C.K era (one of the most popular iterations of Big Jim, especially if you're me) gets loving coverage and includes several prototype items that didn't make it to market. I had never seen this stuff.

Pascal has tracked many former Mattel employees and interviewed them at great length, you get a wonderful visual window into this lines origin, different incarnations and even what the future held. There are so many little fun surprises here, I don't want to spoil them.

Fans of "Masters of the Universe" will really enjoy the many connections Big Jim had to the line, from character designs to just plain old recycling (Mattel is the king of that), it's a fun bit of history.

But that's not it, Pascal also spend hundreds of hours creating fun dioramas, These beautiful shots give the book a wonderful "Wishbook" feel and well, it truly adds to the charm. Here is a behind the scenes shot of one of those dioramas and below is an exclusive widescreen shot.

Pascal has clearly written the best book on Big Jim ever done but more importantly, it's one of the nicest collector publications I have ever seen. The attention to detail on this book is an example of how much love was put into this, if you like Big Jim, you should get this.

Click this link to order Big Jim a World of Adventures

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some interviews to try and translate.

New Six Million Dollar Man Shirt in our Redbubble store!

Don't forget to join our new facebook group.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Awesome! I grew up a huge fan of PACK with Big Jim and Dr Steel remains an all time favourite of ANY toy line.
    May have to pull the trigger on this after seeing those pics. Wowzers!
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I should have my copy in a few weeks, I'm very excited. It will be on the shelf beside Holcomb's WGT and Eury's Captain Action.

(Now if only we could get the creator of the Vintage 3D Joes site to do a book!)

I wish my French wasn't so atrophied, I'll have to mostly content myself with Pascal's beautiful pictures.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Looks like a wonderful book. I have an appreciation and affection for Big Jim because of the Barbie and MOTU connections. I also admire the care Mattel put into their sculpts of that era. The head sculpts have an amazing level of polish. The never look sloppy or rushed and convey a great deal of personality. Beside the PACK era I really like the 80s space and spy stuff.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I love the spy series, thought it's mostly eluded me. And you're right, the craftmanship of the line is beautiful--it's aesthetic tops all lines of the era IMO, the faces are so expressive.

Pali, do you recall the childhood Big Jim you received in the video? I'm straining to see it and can't make out the package. You really tore into it, happy day!
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 3, '19, 11:37 AM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

The spy line is by far my favorite. The color scheme is perfect

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡