Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***** The Wrecking Crew -- Wrecker, Thunderball, Piledriver, and Bulldozer *****

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

***** The Wrecking Crew -- Wrecker, Thunderball, Piledriver, and Bulldozer *****

The Wrecking Crew (created by Len Wein and Sal Buscema) is comprised of super-villains—Wrecker, Thunderball, Piledriver, and Bulldozer—whose first appearance is in The Defenders vol. 1, #17 in November 1974.

The Wrecking Crew are formed when Dirk Garthwaite—the Wrecker—is approached by Dr. Eliot Franklin in prison and asked to retrieve a gamma bomb Franklin had designed, with the intent of ransoming New York for millions of dollars. The Wrecker had formerly been a violent criminal who demolished crime scenes with his crowbar, but gained his power when he was mistaken for Loki and given godly powers by the Norn Queen. Garthwaite manages to retrieve his enchanted crowbar, and during a lightning storm tells Franklin and fellow prisoners Henry Camp and Brian Calusky to grip the weapon simultaneously. A lightning bolt then strikes the crowbar and transforms the four men into the Wrecking Crew.

They promptly escape from prison and in the course of searching for the gamma bomb are defeated by the Defenders and Luke Cage.

Over the years the Wrecking Crew have followed a very familiar cycle—escape prison, fight and subsequently lose to superheroes, and return to prison. The Wrecking Crew have battled the Avengers, Captain America, Iron Fist, the Runaways, Spider-Man, the Sub-Mariner, the Thing, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, Alpha Flight, She-Hulk, X-Men and their main foe, Thor. When the Wrecking Crew first battle Thor, they are confident that it will be a quick victory. Thor, however, infuriated by the fact that one of the Wrecker's offensives has killed an innocent bystander, defeats them all in moments and critically injures the Wrecker.

The team is later chosen by the being known as the Beyonder to participate in the Secret Wars against a team of select superheroes.

The Wrecking Crew's most notorious act was to participate in the near-fatal beating of the hero Hercules during a siege of Avengers Mansion by the super-villain team the Masters of Evil.

This is the second set of customs of the Wrecking Crew I have created. The first were based on the original drawings from Sal Buscema and Dan Green (as seen in the first picture). This set is based on the cover of Thor 304 as drawn by Keith Pollard and Joe Rubinstein and the Bowen mini-busts seen below.

The Wrecker is built on an original Mego Type 2 body with LJN swivel arms; Type S gripper hands painted purple; belt and cuffs from CTVT painted purple; Castaway Toys purple boots; crowbar from Marvel Legends Wrecker action figure; suit by me; head re-sized from the Bowen mini-bust Wrecker with paints by yours truly.

Thunderball is built on an original Mego Type 2 body with LJN swivel arms; Type S gripper hand painted yellow to hold his wrecking ball and chain purchased on eBay; yellow pirate boots, yellow cuffs, and repro yellow Mego Robin belt from CTVT; suit by me; head re-sized from the Bowen mini-bust Thunderball with paints by yours truly.

Piledriver is built on an original Mego One Million B.C. body with CTVT Caucasian muscle arms; CTVT pirate boots and belt painted blue by me; suit by me; head re-sized from the Bowen mini-bust Piledriver with paints by yours truly.

Bulldozer is built on a Doc Mego tall muscle body with hands painted flesh tone; original Mego Conan belt and cuffs enlarged to fit and painted silver; CTVT 12" Evel Knievel boots painted silver with cuffs adapted from enlarged original Mego Conan belt; suit by me with chest piece an exact duplicate of the Bowen mini-bust; head re-sized from the Bowen mini-bust Bulldozer with paints by yours truly.

Team Photo

Taking on the Mighty Thor!

(I have been using this background to take pictures of my customs for years and never has it been more apropos )

Recently, I had the honor and privilege to meet the artist for the cover of Thor 304, legendary Marvel master Keith Pollard at the Great Lakes Comic Con. Here is a picture of he and I holding up a tabloid sized print of that cover which he so graciously autographed. I was also able to show him photos of my Wrecking Crew customs and thank him for the inspiration. It was a proud "geek" moment for me.

And, then I ran into Joe Rubinstein at C2E2 and he also signed it. Pretty cool!

This project took the better part of eight months from start to finish and if you would like to see additional photos of how this project came together, please check out this photo album on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/megowgsh...31070200277534

I hope you enjoy my customs as much as I do, and, as always, Thanks for looking!

Peace, Love, and Megos!

Austin
    Last edited by megowgsh; Mar 29, '19, 8:46 AM.
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms
  • Boywonder0
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 29, 2007

Another masterful piece! Straight from the comic book pages and factory made!

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Sharp-looking team, I particularly like the detailing on Bulldozer.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Great group of figures Austin!!
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

Austin I know this one was a labor of love for you and they couldn’t have turned out any better! Absolutely brilliant!
          These may be my favourite customs you’ve EVER made (and that’s saying something).
          Great job! So much thought and planning and skill involved here. Respect.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Impressive, Austin. Have to say this may be your best work yet.

The Piledriver and Thunderball heads have a strong vinyl aesthetic to them. The Bulldozer boots and cuffs is clever craftsmenship. I like the use of 1MBC to add height but not muscle mass as a way to distinguish Piledriver from Bulldozer. And the tightness of the fabric on Wrecker really makes him seem bulkier than a normal LJN swivel would appear to be. Kudos!

Comment

• newlyknighted
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 21, 2010

Astounding Austin. Fantastic customs. I remember thinking the first ones were great. Someone please open the door to the Custom Mego Hall of Fame. Usher these 4 Marvel customs in today.
              I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

Wow such a labor of love that went into these. I love the detail of them. Super job on this team.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• danadoll
                  Micronaut Nut!
                  • Apr 11, 2005

Wonderfully made customs, Austin!
                  "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Goblin19
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 2, 2002

Great lineup. Very attractive looking figures.

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

Very nice clean looking, colorful and sharp, great looking line up, beautiful work.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Just perfect!

Comment

• ScottA
                          Original Member
                          • Jun 25, 2001

These are absolutley awesome.
                          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 18, 2015

Pretty cool how you're able to use heads sculpted for statues. Now that takes ingenuity!
                            The hands that grip.

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Nice work...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎