X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Monster Memories... 1979-1980

A collection of my most prized childhood monster items...

A beautiful unused Universal Monsters lunch box, a set of mint Remco Mini Monsters, and an unread copy of the Wolf Man hardcover book from Crestwood House.

School days were magical then...taking my lunch in that beautiful box, which usually also smuggled a Remco monster or two! I remember Frankenstein peeking out from behind my peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

And the Crestwood House Monster series were my favorite library books, checked out in constant rotation two at a time...what great memories.

• PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I cherish some of those same items. Those Crestwood books were wonderful. Nice picture, D.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Lovely, lovely photograph. I can almost smell the school library whenever I see those monster books.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Love the lunch box, I'm not sure but weren't the figures also available for a limited time at Burger King back in the day?

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

No, the BK figures were similar scale figures that came out around 1996 I believe? Completely different figures, although a few looked somewhat similar.

Comment

• comicmike
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 22, 2009

What a great snapshot of pure magical nostalgia. Really takes me back!
            Last edited by comicmike; Mar 2, '19, 7:04 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

The art on the lunch box is wonderful and it's one of the few times they got the Bride's hair color right.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• newlyknighted
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 21, 2010

Awesome collection! Great photo!
                I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  The art on the lunch box is wonderful and it's one of the few times they got the Bride's hair color right.
                  ^Yes! She looks so much better with auburn hair. The lunchbox is also the only non-paper appearance of Tarantula.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
                    ^Yes! She looks so much better with auburn hair.
                    I agree. My lunchbox is well-used and has no thermos, but I'm glad I still have it. I store extra 9" Remco monster parts in it!
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      I agree. My lunchbox is well-used and has no thermos, but I'm glad I still have it. I store extra 9" Remco monster parts in it!
                      It's a shame really that Universal is so absolutely clueless when it comes to the monsters. The people in charge know very little about them or their history, or how to properly market them.
                      There are so many incorrect things in the official style guides. Bride with black hair, Frankenstein with green jackets...they even released the 1932 Mummy on DVD with a picture of Lon Chaney Jr. on the back incorrectly identified as Boris Karloff.
                      The worst offender though was a Dept. 56 "Torbet" Castle...the home of the Wolf Man, Larry TORBET.

Even that book in my photo above misidentifies the Werewolf of London as the Wolf Man!

Comment

• Wee67
                        Museum Correspondent
                        • Apr 2, 2002

Is that lunchbox vintage? It is in amazing condition. I love the memories of carrying your figures in it. And I completely relate to having the favorite library book.
                        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• acrovader
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 19, 2011

I never really was interested in these classic monsters during this era. Don't know why. Everything for me revolved around Star Wars, Micronauts, Shogun Warriors, etc. Now as an adult, I really like the 3 3/4" monster action figures and would like to collect them one day..
                          I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Wee67
                            Is that lunchbox vintage? It is in amazing condition. I love the memories of carrying your figures in it. And I completely relate to having the favorite library book.
                            Thanks! Yes, it's vintage, but it was unused store stock. It's pristine inside and out. Still had the tags and original price sticker on it when I bought it. I carefully removed the sticker as it was right on Frankenstein's forehead.
                            I'm going to do a complete photo shoot of it this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎