X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego Episode 4: Ultraman Leo from Japan

This week we talk about the very rare and somewhat mysterious Ultraman Leo figure from Japan. The figure is actually on a Mego type one body but we know precious little about it. Was it made by Mego or did Miura just buy some bodies? Are there other characters in the series? These are…

More...
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

That's something. Maybe with this put out there, maybe we'll acquire some new info on this figure. Love the videos!

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• newlyknighted
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 21, 2010

Any Mego like figure with a removable cowl says~Buy Me Now!
      I'm always learning something new about Mego, and "Mego like" toys on this forum, and this is another fun and informative video that always leaves me wishing there were an actual Mego museum I could visit on any day of the week.
      I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Or maybe we might even find find other figures from this company. It seems odd that they would only make one.

Is it possible this company simply used a factory that had "borrowed" the dies ad tools from Mego's contracted manufacturer?
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Treadwell
          Museum Super Collector
          • Dec 31, 2018

Very interesting, thanks for the video!

I think Wee67 could be on to something. We all know how often tooling gets reused without permission.

Also, the 1974 date is interesting, given that was when they were switching over to the T2 bodies. Could Mego (or, again, the factory without permission) have dumped a bunch of T1 stock?

The press stud doesn't look like what Mego used; nor did Mego use Velcro at the time, did they? So I'd agree that the body was probably the only link to Mego.

Loving these videos.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I can't completely dismiss the possibility that a factory "borrowed" the dies but it's odd that Mego was still actively using them at the time.

I conjectured that they merely purchased the bodies based on an interview with a Denys Fisher employee who said the Doctor Who figures were not entirely produced in Hong Kong, a lot of the manufacturing and assembly was done in the United Kingdom.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

Leo rocks!… love all things Asian-Mego-related!

Maybe there should be standing threads for Vintage Mego and Toy Ventures, instead of intermixed into others?… the content is cool and special to lots of us/other vintage collectors. Nice to keep the halls of the Museum clean and pretty, in perpetuity.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I should probably merge the older ones but I do like that the RSS feed for the blog hits buzz.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Great video, and a fascinating figure. The material of the costume reminds me of the earliest Mego WGSH suits, so maybe Mego was more involved than we think? Or they sourced the same material provider?

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• comicmike
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 22, 2009

I'm over-the-moom happy to see this video. It is well done.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎