X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

It's time to de-power Batman.

I was thinking about how much I once loved the character of Batman, especially in the 1970's. It seemed a lot of those stories focused more on the detective aspect of the character, something that's sadly lacking these days.
    IMO, Batman has become so ridiculously over-powered, he's impossibly boring. He's reached the point much like Superman once did when he could simply blow out a star like a birthday candle.

Batman is now TOO capable, too invincible. He is so invincible in fact, that the bat-suit itself becomes almost unnecessary. I mean, it's entire purpose was to give him an edge over REGULAR criminals...something he NEEDED. He's so powerful now, does he even need the suit? The answer of course is no. It's time to dial it back, power him down and make him interesting again.

What if Bruce Wayne, aside from his keen intellect, is just a little above average physically? Make him a capable meat and potatoes fighter, but nothing special. Think young Captain Kirk. Able to hold his own in a hand-to-hand fight, but needing to rely on the BAT image to give him the edge. Go back to the bad guys and police alike not knowing whether he's human or not. Keep him in the shadows and allow him to use his brains more than his brawn to fight crime.

Batman should not be in the same league with such hugely powered characters like Superman. He needs to be humanized again...that's what made him interesting. The fact that he could be killed at any time by even a mugger with a gun or knife.
    Those stories had a sense of danger to them, and THAT Batman was much more believable, more interesting, and more FUN.
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

I gotta agree with you on this point, Dwayne. Batman has become far too powerful in the current DC Universe to really even be considered a “regular human male in the best, possible physical and mental state.” Instead, What Batman has become is sort of a love-child of Iron Man, Reed Richards, The Shadow, Sherlock Holmes and a Sherman tank. He has become the DC Universe’s deus ex machina, basically the solution to almost any situation where no one else can save the day.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
      I gotta agree with you on this point, Dwayne. Batman has become far too powerful in the current DC Universe to really even be considered a “regular human male in the best, possible physical and mental state.” Instead, What Batman has become is sort of a love-child of Iron Man, Reed Richards, The Shadow, Sherlock Holmes and a Sherman tank. He has become the DC Universe’s deus ex machina, basically the solution to almost any situation where no one else can save the day.
      Yep. And to add to the debate further, his physical condition hasn't been handled very well, IMO. He is often depicted as being so bulky and muscular he couldn't possibly be an effective martial artist or hand-to-hand combatant. He wouldn't have the needed range of motion, would be too slow, and forget about stamina. Imagine a bodybuilder in a boxing ring. They'd get beaten in short order. I think the last, best physical interpretation of the character in comics was Batman: Year One.

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by enyawd72
        I was thinking about how much I once loved the character of Batman, especially in the 1970's. It seemed a lot of those stories focused more on the detective aspect of the character, something that's sadly lacking these days.
        IMO, Batman has become so ridiculously over-powered, he's impossibly boring. He's reached the point much like Superman once did when he could simply blow out a star like a birthday candle.

Batman is now TOO capable, too invincible. He is so invincible in fact, that the bat-suit itself becomes almost unnecessary. I mean, it's entire purpose was to give him an edge over REGULAR criminals...something he NEEDED. He's so powerful now, does he even need the suit? The answer of course is no. It's time to dial it back, power him down and make him interesting again.

What if Bruce Wayne, aside from his keen intellect, is just a little above average physically? Make him a capable meat and potatoes fighter, but nothing special. Think young Captain Kirk. Able to hold his own in a hand-to-hand fight, but needing to rely on the BAT image to give him the edge. Go back to the bad guys and police alike not knowing whether he's human or not. Keep him in the shadows and allow him to use his brains more than his brawn to fight crime.

Batman should not be in the same league with such hugely powered characters like Superman. He needs to be humanized again...that's what made him interesting. The fact that he could be killed at any time by even a mugger with a gun or knife.
        Those stories had a sense of danger to them, and THAT Batman was much more believable, more interesting, and more FUN.
        That sounds cool.

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

I agree wholeheartedly. I think the power-creep begins when the stakes have to raise because the hero has already faced off and won against regular bad guys. You can only go to that well so much before things have to escalate.

I’d like to see Batman go back to his 1940’s roots. There’s something about those early stories that feels more dangerous for the villains than the Batman that we know who will always do the right thing.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Yes, de-power Batman, it’s really getting ridiculous.

Great thread...
            sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

Couldn't agree more. I was reading Superman annual #11 (1985) and Batman sat it out against Mongul because he was too powerful. I'd love to see that again. Street level heroes like Daredevil shouldn't be fighting Thanos level villains.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Some kind of change is needed for sure. The Bat-Men are all starting to blur together into a mush of something non distinct. Although everyone has a preference, I like the Neal Adams style Batman. Lean, tough, muscles, but swift and smart. AND still able to dress up like Santa and smile.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I think, in considering Batman's power-levels, you also have to consider his foes. All of his rogues fit a thematic niche in a neo-noir, Dick-Tracy sort of way. Very few are physically powerful, though sci-fi and fantasy elements intrude. Batman has become so powerful, so equipped, that almost none of his classic foes pose a challenge. Yet the very fact that they exist establishes their formidability. It's Batman's ever-increasing capability that devalues his rogues.

Batman used to be my favorite hero, but the human, theatrical, adept character I loved has been replaced by a paranoid version of Tony Stark, where the gear, gadgets, and hauteur are everything. I agree with what's been said here: It's time for a Batman "re-set."
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎