Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Ok, that's really COOL! Looks like DC might be finally putting things right.
    sigpic

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

And word is, this issue has been delayed for a month, just as every issue in this series it seems. The book went form monthly, to bi-monthly to accommodate Frank's ability to get it done well, but just about every issue has slipped an extra month since then, so it's been more like a quarterly book. I decided to wait for the trade on this one, so the delays don't affect my experience of the book's story, but a year's wait to get a 12 issue series in trade is looking like it's going to be more like 2 1/2 to 3 years at this point.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^And some of DC's other books seem to be undermining the point of Rebirth and this, namely Heroes in Crisis. I don't think DC has any idea what they are doing these days. I hope I'm proven wrong.
        sigpic

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

And for the fourth week in a row, Dc has announced this issue has been pushed back another week, and now won't be released until April 24th (unless they announce next week it has been pushed back another week making it 5 weeks in a row they push it back a week.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by MRP
            And for the fourth week in a row, Dc has announced this issue has been pushed back another week, and now won't be released until April 24th (unless they announce next week it has been pushed back another week making it 5 weeks in a row they push it back a week.

-M
            Now pushed back into May, 5 weeks in a row of extending the delays and counting.

-M

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

6 weeks in a row now, they announced today it was pushed back another week from May 1 to May 8. How long can the streak go?

-M

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Maybe it's a meta connection to Watchman's constant delays? Geoff Johns WANTS to be Alan Moore REALLY bad.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                  Career Member
                  • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Maybe it's a meta connection to Watchman's constant delays? Geoff Johns WANTS to be Alan Moore REALLY bad.

Chris

He should have settled for HARLAN ELLISON!

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
                    Johns has built an entire career out of standing on the shoulders of giants and capitalizing on their work, beginning with Richard Donner and moving forward in every step of his career, so that's not surprising.

-M

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Oh look, pushed back yet another week... https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04...-slip-further/

The streak continues...

-M

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

I didn't update last week, but yest it got pushed back, and today it got pushed back another week, so the streak continues. #11 also got pushed back, this time three months and won't be coming out until August at the earliest (I expect the delay train will hit that one too once #10 actually does come out and keep pushing it back. At this rate, the hardcover, which is scheduled for November will have to be pushed back because #12 won't have been released by then (assuming #11 is out by then even). I made a decision before this came out to trade wait on it, and it looks like it will be 2020 before I can buy it in trade at this rate, which is sad considering the first issue was released in late 2017.

Something of this magnitude should have had at least 6 issues in the can before #1 was released, if not all 12, considering Frank had continuous delays doing the Batman Earth One OGNs that needed to be completely done before they could be released. Delay don't usually get me riled up (I have no problem for example with Image series taking breaks between arcs to get ahead on the next arc, that actually shows planning and consideration on how your customers will receive the product), what gets me riled up is the seeming total lack of planning that went into this before it was released and the myopic attitude editorial had about the reality of the production rate of the creator's involved. If this was something your entire publishing plan was to be centered on, you needed to do it right. But because they didn't, it looks like the entire publishing plan around Doomsday Clock got shot to hell, and it is no longer a centerpiece of a direction for the line, and is now just another vanity project that will fail to stand up on its own two feet to become an evergreen seller the way the series it is trying to cash in on was (i.e. Watchmen) because no one had the foresight or ability to schedule or manage the project properly.

It is this lack of basic editorial and publishing competence that drives me nuts about modern DC. They tantalize you with things that look like it could finally break into the mass market (Black Label, Ink, Zoom) and actually find new audiences/readers for comics, or things that could reinvigorate readership in the traditional direct market customer base (like Doomsday Clock), but then through mismanagement of scheduling and lack basic project management competency sabotage those projects and fail to stick the landing, alienating more customers than they gain in a market that is already losing customers to entropy by the bucket loads and hasn't been able to draw new customers to replace that attrition for going on three decades now because they have become a niche product in a niche market sold only in destination shops that someone who is not already an existing customer will not set foot into if they can even find one or live in an area where there is one despite super-hero stories being more popular now than at any point in history.

The problems with Doomsday Clock scheduling are a symptomatic example of the total lack of vision and ability to capitalize on the surge of popularity of the super-hero genre. If people were simply going to flock to comics because of movies and tv, it would have been happening since 2000 when the first X-Men movie hit, but it's been 19 years now and the "if you build it, they will come" approach isn't working, hasn't worked, and won't work. Two decades of failure to capitalize on the rising popularity of super-heroes in pop culture. Two decades of declining unit sales (and don't let reports of minor increases in revenue fool you, those measure dollars not units and the percentage increases in revenue are smaller than the percentage increases of cover prices, so in effect they are selling fewer units at a higher price not actually selling more, if they were selling more units (or even the same units) at the higher cover price, the percentage increase of revenue would at least equal the percentage of price increase) as sales or super-hero products in every other category increases.

They need to look at format, pricing, publishing schedule, lack of interest in periodical products in the marketplace, lack of success of niche destination shops in the mass marketplace, etc. etc. to find a way to capitalize on the gift horse they have been given in the surge of popularity in super-heroes, because as popular as super-heroes are, monthly periodical comics are still not a product the general public wants. There are comic stories that do extremely well in the mass market-but they aren't released as serialized periodicals, they hit the market when the publisher says they will and can be bought where the customers already are not in places they have to make a special trip to (if such an outlet even exists in their area), and are a product in a format that gives value for its price-none of which is true of the output of the major direct market publishers these days, and almost all of those successful products are not put out by publishers whose main customer base is the direct market, they are usually imprints of the major book publishers who know the market and how to put out product consumers will buy and be satisfied with (and most of them have a vastly different compensation model for creators to allow them to turn in completed projects and allow publishers to attract top tier talent for publication via advances and royalties, and retaining rights to what they create rather than meager page rates in a work-for-hire environment. Doomsday Clock #10 has just become emblematic to me of what is wrong with the way the direct market publishers are currently doing business and why they cannot capitalize on the popularity of their IP in other media and translate it into sales success in their publishing divisions.

-M

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Based on what was just revealed in Heroes in Crisis #8, either DC has absolutely no clue what they are doing in the long game... or they've decided to court the old fanboys again by promising a return to "greatness", only to pull the rug out from under us...again. I fear for the eventual return of the JSA, and what they will do to those characters. Nothing is sacred to this new breed of comic creator. If others are enjoying it, more power to you, but I'm not going to support it.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

I'm of two minds on Heroes in Crisis... not fond of what they are doing with Wally right now (we'll see how the final issue resolves this or not).

But I am enjoying the return of the Beetle and Booster team. (I don't even know how Ted Kord is alive again after Max Lord shot him in the head a few Crisis' ago)

Also some acknowedgement of Beetle and Barbara's Birds of Prey friendship.

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

I'm liking Doomsday Clock well enough, but I'm LOVING Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt from Dynamite Comics right now. Essentially an unofficial Watchmen sequel that takes the story into rather Meta Multiversal territory after initially setting up the concflict between the protagonist Peter Cannon and his antagonist parallel universe Peter Cannon (Who is basically Ozymandias post-Watchmen). The covers really don't indicate what kind of story this is and the cheeky subversive content inside.

the current issue is a homage/love letter to Eddie Campbell's Alex
                              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎