Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will you miss from the Target Mego Offerings?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

What will you miss from the Target Mego Offerings?

As I walked through the destroyed action figure aisle in Target this morning, I had a nostalgic feeling come over me for the Target Mego offerings. Like many of the vocal critics, seeing figures from sitcoms of old, like The Brady Bunch, Married With Children, and Charlie's Angels, didn't excite me as much as just seeing a Mego toy line in retail stores did. I immediately gravitated to the 14" DC Super Hero figures, and my 8" purchases were mostly Monsters, Star Trek to augment my EMCE Toys Repros, and figures with custom ideas and swaps down the road. In some cases, those latter purchases were even easier when the likenesses of the figure was generic.

But some of the licences did excite me and I was happy to pick up figures I thought I'd never see in, and sad that will probably be it for these licenses.

What licenses from Target that appear to be done will you miss? If any?

First, I will miss The Wizard of Oz. *Maybe* it's not done, but if it is, I will be disappointed that we didn't get the rest of the core group, of the Tin Man and the Scarecrow. At least there is the option to go back and get the vintage Mego versions.

Second, getting Bewitched was extremely cool! And to get three characters from the show? Amazing! Alas, there will be no Darrin forthcoming, or a second Samantha wearing regular clothes.

That's all for me. I was happy to get "I Dream of Jeannie" too, but that works as a one off for me.

I feel bad for those that cannot complete their "Facts of Life" students, or add a Bud Bundy to finish off the "Married With Children" family; so close! And it's too bad to not be able to add anymore "Cheers" characters to their LaserMego bar. At least the original "Charmed" sisters are complete, and Farrah gives "Charlie's Angels" some sense of completion.

But I do much prefer where Mego is going with the 8" line! I can live without a "Bewitched" Darrin
  • Mego-Amigo
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 22, 2011

I wanted more I Dream of Jeannie, Happy Days and Charlie's Angels ( with actor likeness ) as I love all those shows. As much as I love Universal Monsters, Star Trek and KISS I think there's room for different things in my collection.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I wanted more Cheers, Bewitched, and Jeannie.

Comment

• tllgn
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 6, 2010

^^^ agree i love jeannie bewitched ,i watched those shows growing up after school every day ,i got them on dvd ,i also would like them to have completed OZ ,a couple more happy days .i thought the sit-coms were
        rather nice ,i bought all of them a few more bradys would have been nice ,i have the FTC bradys and would have liked a complet mego bradys with ps brady to actually have the whole family .FTC only did
        two gilligans island figures ,would have been cool if mego did that whole cast .

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

When were all these line drops confirmed? Are we going be the list of releases or did Paul/Marty say so and I missed it?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Marty all but said so at Toy Fair, minus a few iconic TV series, that Mego thinks will have a broad enough appeal to be financially viable. He does want to GAH, so that my be his baby. I’m not certain if it has broad appeal, but there is a lot of interest within this community.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• danadoll
              Micronaut Nut!
              • Apr 11, 2005

I guess Paige and maybe a Leo from Charmed. An Uncle Arthur and a Darrin (or two) from Bewitched?

He did say that they were releasing more OZ figures, if you're into those.
              Last edited by danadoll; Mar 3, '19, 8:41 PM.
              "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Lethalp
                • Aug 6, 2017

The Cheers line. Getting a Sam Malone was a missed opportunity. Sam over Woody would of made more sense.

Comment

• Mego Newbie14
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 25, 2018

Cheers, Married with Children, and Happy Days but I’m not sure Happy Days is done cause Marty did say there is a new Fonzie coming.

Comment

• megowgsh
                    Customego HoF Curator
                    • Nov 19, 2003

For my money, the most fun I had as an adult chasing down figures at retail stores was when Mattel and Dr Mego collaborated on the DC Retro line. I remember going into every Toys-R-Us and every "mini" Toys-R-Us and then every Marshall's and TJ Maxx and Five Below and Gordman's... Now THAT was an adventure for me.
                    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Five Below had RA's?

I did the Maxx/Marshall hits. Found most of wave 2 surprisingly. I found a lone Wave 3 WW at a TRU.

Comment

• MEGO Kid
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Nov 5, 2018

I did want to see a Sam Malone. And Rebecca with her hair up to put into a Saavik uniform when those come out. And a Dr Crane with a beard so he could have been that one Captain from the TNG episode. That would have been cool

Comment

• TRDouble
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by megowgsh
                          For my money, the most fun I had as an adult chasing down figures at retail stores was when Mattel and Dr Mego collaborated on the DC Retro line. I remember going into every Toys-R-Us and every "mini" Toys-R-Us and then every Marshall's and TJ Maxx and Five Below and Gordman's... Now THAT was an adventure for me.
                          LOL! I was hitting up TJ Maxx and Marshall's, looking for cheap, extra DC Retro figures. We didn't have Five Below at the time.

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Was hoping to Ralph & Potsy for my Happy Days collection.
                            sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

I thought we were getting a Pinkie figure. I was hoping so.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎