Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

I actually like Crawfords reviews. I was goofing on the suddenly silent OP, in case it came off otherwise.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah my goofing was reacting to the OP as well. I've got no illwill towards mC (actually I didn't even know he went by Captain Toy).
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
        While I disagree with his review, these attacks on Crawford are beneath us.
        The only thing I am "attacking" is that terrible Clayface figure.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Artistix
          • Apr 9, 2012

Originally posted by sprytel
          While I disagree with his review, these attacks on Crawford are beneath us.
          Agreed. I used to look at his reviews all the time, though mainly for the pictures. He is a good guy!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I enjoy his reviews, but he usually caters toward high-end product like Hot Toys or One:12. Of course he does a lot of Marvel Legends too, but it's all aimed at that modern collector aesthetic. I don't think he's totally wrong about New Mego, but I do think it deserves different consideration as it is still trying to evoke an old-school toy vibe, and his other subjects for the most part are not.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• rykerw1701
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              I enjoy his reviews, but he usually caters toward high-end product like Hot Toys or One:12. Of course he does a lot of Marvel Legends too, but it's all aimed at that modern collector aesthetic. I don't think he's totally wrong about New Mego, but I do think it deserves different consideration as it is still trying to evoke an old-school toy vibe, and his other subjects for the most part are not.

Chris

I think this is well said. I very much like Crawford's reviews as well, but he missed the mark on his assessment. The new Mego figures shouldn't be looked at with only the same lens as high end collectibles. There needs to be a nostalgia lens applied. But yes, there have been some duds. So what?

Anyway, I will continue to enjoy Crawford's mostly spot on reviews and look forward to seeing more. The guys knows his stuff, but he's wrong sometimes, just like all critics.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

It's easy to put a $10 figure next to a $300 figure, and say the expensive one is much better. You'll probably be right.
                And as he was picking out the worst, indeed, I have to agree, some of the new Mego figures aren't so great.
                He could have, for balance, shown some of the nice ones, and acknowledge the fact that they are affordable (let's say it, they are cheap!), and that not all of us have his wallet.
                I have always enjoyed looking at his photos (for years now), the man does indeed has quality visual aids (what a surprise), but I can't play in his league. For example, I love the Colorform aliens, but the re-issues, for their height, are overpriced. For him, never an issue, maybe he gets them free for reviewing purposes. We should all be so lucky.
                The only thing I have to agree with, purely my own personal taste, is that some of the figures, like Married, aren't well made. Al Bundy? Really? This makes it so easy for people to put "worst" on it...
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

He's full of ___ when it comes to that Penny Robinson figure.

All it needs is it's hair in a pony tail and it will be perfect

Comment

• scott metzger
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 9, 2007

I've read Crawford's stuff; sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. As folks have pointed out many times, things are already changing on the things he had problems with.

Comment

• Steeler80
                      Mayor of Strunk
                      • Jun 29, 2001

I follow his reviews, which make good reading for the most part, and have corresponded with him over details on some toys. From my understanding, he is a fan of old Mego but I'm not sure he gets the new iteration. To me, Mego is more a nostalgic line and should be viewed as such. They are not made to be hyper-realistic like Hot Toys and we're not paying $200 plus for them either. But like he said at the outset of the review, our opinion is just as valid as his. My only problem is his reviews do carry some weight and he wasn't too even on the line by picking the worst of the bunch to touch on. There are some good properties that I hope people don't dismiss out of hand based on the some of Target's choices of properties.
                      Last edited by Steeler80; Feb 26, '19, 6:08 PM.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                        valar morghulis
                        • Mar 8, 2005

MWC has been doing his awesome reviews for YEARS, and there's no one who does it better. And a very nice guy, ta boot

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

I'd have no problem if he didn't just make it sound like there is nothing great in what Mego is offering and that it's all garbage.

Comment

• Obibob
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Jul 27, 2007

Originally posted by Mikey
                            He's full of ___ when it comes to that Penny Robinson figure.

All it needs is it's hair in a pony tail and it will be perfect
                            Actually, he’s not too far off on Penny. I have that figure myself and there’s just...something...off...with the figure. Same thing with the Will Robinson figure...it too is “off” The Penny likeness isn’t spot on, but that’s not really it. He liked the Bloop (he didn’t call it that, I believe he had a typo) but it’s way out of scale for the 1/6 Robinsons. Funny that you mentioned it, but I tried the pony tail (at my wife’s suggestion) and it didn’t help all that much! Still, I never thought I’d own 1/6 scale Lost in Space figures to begin with, so I’m happy to have them at all.
                            Last edited by Obibob; Feb 27, '19, 3:17 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Wasn't Penny's space monkey named Debbie?
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Obibob
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Jul 27, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                                Wasn't Penny's space monkey named Debbie?
                                Yep, Debbie the Bloop.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎