Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Peter Tork (The Monkees and Shoe Suede Blues)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

RIP Peter Tork (The Monkees and Shoe Suede Blues)

Peter Tork of The Monkees (and his latter day band Shoe Suede Blues) has passed away from Adenoid cystic carcinoma (in short, cancer of the salivary glands)... He was 77, having just celebrated his birthday on 02/13...

RIP Peter, hope you meet up with Davy Jones on the other side...
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

From Peter Tork's family:

A Statement From Peter Tork’s Family

We are all saddened to share the news that Peter Thorkelson -- friend, father, husband, grandfather, philosopher, goofball, entertainer -- died peacefully this morning at a family home in Connecticut. Peter succumbed to a 10 year bout with adenoid cystic carcinoma, a rare cancer of the salivary glands. Peter’s energy, intelligence, silliness, and curiosity were traits that for decades brought laughter and enjoyment to millions, including those of us closest to him. Those traits also equipped him well to take on cancer, a condition he met with unwavering humor and courage.

We are all still raw, and still have much to process, but we are also feeling appreciation for Peter’s contributions. We are grateful that we have an extended support network thanks to the attentive energy and dedication of Peter’s fans worldwide. We want those fans to know with absolute certainty that your spirit and goodwill fed Peter with continued energy and force (and of course humor).

With that, we ask that our family have time and space to grieve in privacy.

We are asking fans who would like to make contributions in Peter’s name to donate to the scholarship fund at The Institute for The Musical Arts in Massachusetts, a nonprofit that provides young women with music education, music recording, and music community.

More info can be found here: In the Name of our Mothers – I.M.A.

For media inquiries, please email: publicity@petertork.com

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

From Michael Nesmith on Facebook:

Pardon me if I am being dogmatic -- but I think it is harder to put together a band than a TV show -- not to take anything away from TV shows. These days I watch MSNBC -- mostly aghast at what I see -- and what I am missing is "madcap".

Peter Tork died this AM. I am told he slipped away peacefully.

Yet, as I write this my tears are awash, and my heart is broken. Even though I am clinging to the idea that we all continue, the pain that attends these passings has no cure. It's going to be a rough day.

I share with all Monkees fans this change, this "loss", even so.

PT will be a part of me forever. I have said this before -- and now it seems even more apt -- the reason we called it a band is because it was where we all went to play.

A band no more -- and yet the music plays on -- an anthem to all who made the Monkees and the TV show our private -- dare I say "secret" -- playground.

As for Pete, I can only pray his songs reach the heights that can lift us and that our childhood lives forever -- that special sparkle that was the Monkees. I will miss him -- a brother in arms. Take flight my Brother.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

LOVE The Monkees...he'll be missed.
        sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

The Monkees are one of my strongest Saturday Morning memories and I was flat-out goofy for the MTV re-airing in 1986. Gut-punch, just like it was when Davey left us.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

RIP

m

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎