X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1975 Mighty Marvel Mail Order Catalog

This wonderful package was likely handed to every attendee of the 1975 Marvel Comics Convention it includes a program which we'll get into but it also includes the Might Marvel Mail Order Catalog.

This wonderful catalog features Marvel merchandise from Fleetwood, Mego. Durham, Aurora and more. The historical significance is that Marvel would eventually abandon the mail order practice and selling it to the man who created it, Ivan Snyder. Ivan would then move the business to New Jersey and call it "Heroes World"
    The 1975 Marvel Mail Order Catalog is more fun than a Giant Sized Man Thing!

Don't forget to join our new facebook group.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

That Conan Belt Buckle (and the Conan coins) is something I am always on the look out for and have never seen in person.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

Oh man, I just *l❤️ve" stuff like this. It's deliciousness for the eyes.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

I generally do not attend many panels at conventions, but time-travelling me would have been at almost everyone. It would be so cool to hear those names talk about the business.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

OK, I need a first hand account of the "Planet of the Apes Slideshow" that was held on Sunday, March 23, at 2:00 PM in 1975!

Which one of you superhero maniacs was there!?!
          Last edited by Confessional; Feb 22, '19, 11:35 AM. Reason: … show me the Ektachrome!

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
            I generally do not attend many panels at conventions, but time-travelling me would have been at almost everyone. It would be so cool to hear those names talk about the business.
            Yeah I've read like one Conan comic in my life but I'd be all over Neal Adams, Gil Kane and Roy Thomas talking about him for an hour.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
              OK, I need a first hand account of the "Planet of the Apes Slideshow" that was held on Sunday, March 23, at 2:00 PM in 1975!

That totally peaked my interest as well.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

^^ as it was '75 somebody had to be traipsing about with a killer Bell & Howell rig… or better yet, Etkachrome slides of the slide show.

C'mon, who took a snapshot of the room?… maybe Mike Ploog was there?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

...and then in the 90s, Marvel bought Heroes World, and made them their sole distributor...which helped to send Marvel into bankruptcy. So weird.

But this is great! And the call the Megos (GASP!)...DOLLS!!!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Confessional

I followed the link to Plaid Stallions before I read any comments here and the POTA Slideshow caught my attention, as well. I remember being caught up in all of the Ape-y goodness of that time and it made me wonder if 1975 was "Peak Ape" or if we were maybe just a little past it at that point but still on the high-part of the bell curve. Marvel's "Adventures on the Planet of the Apes" was pretty close to being released (cover date of October 1975 and possibly what they were promoting, as well as the Curtis B&W) and the Saturday Morning Cartoon hit TV a little later in the year. The live action TV show would have juuuusst ended. Power Records were out in 74 and 75 along with Mego POTA being a top seller in those two years. I don't remember Apes being too much of a big deal past 1976, but my guess is this was pretty much the thick of it (?).

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

Great stuff! Thanks!

That kite is cool. I have not thought of a kite in a long, long time. What a wonderful feeling!

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

I like the Conan picture, looks like he's up at bat and waiting for the pitch.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎