X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C.H.O.A.M.
    learning all the time
    • Sep 15, 2010

any alternatives to Man-Thing omnibus?

it blows me away how much that thing is going for.
    all the oop omnibuses (omnibi?) are astronomical actually.
    is there any series of collections that approach what the Man-Thing omnibus offers?
    I don't want any b&w but paperback is ok
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Not quite everyhting the Omnibus had, but there is the 2 volumes of the Man-Thing by Steve Gerber Marvel put out as trade paperbacks. They retailed at $40 each but Lonestar has them for less than cover right now...

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=32786024

Volume 1 - 1st printing. Collects Astonishing Tales (1970-1976) #12-13, Fear (1970-1975) #11-19, Marvel Two-in-One (1974-1983 1st Series) #1 and Man-Thing (1974-1975 1st Series) #1-8 - plus material from Savage Tales (1971-1975 Magazine) #1, Fear (1970-1975) #10 and Monsters Unleashed (1973) #5.

Volume 2 - 1st printing. Collects Giant Size Man-Thing (1974) #1-5, Daredevil (1964-1998 1st Series) #113-114, Man-Thing (1974 1st Series) #9-18 and material from Monsters Unleashed (1973-1975) #8-9.

for comparison this is what the Omnibus collects...

Collects Astonishing Tales (1970) #12-13; Fear (1970) #11-18, and material from #10 and #19; Man-Thing (1974 1st Series) #1-22, Giant Size Man-Thing (1974)#1-3 and material from #4-5, Incredible Hulk (1962-1999 1st series) #197-198; Incredible Hulk (1962-1999 1st series) #68; Marvel Two-in-One (1974 1st Series) #43; Man-Thing (1974 1st Series) #1-11; Doctor Strange (1974 2nd Series)#41; and material from Savage Tales (1971 Magazine) #1, Monsters Unleashed (1973)#5 and #8-9, and Rampaging Hulk (1977 Magazine) #7.

Hope that helps.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Personally I'd just go for low grade originals. They're pretty cheap and a whole lot easier to read. I sold all my Omnibuses just because they were so ridiculously hard to handle. Reading in bed was out cause they weigh like 30 pounds. LOL

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by enyawd72
        Personally I'd just go for low grade originals. They're pretty cheap and a whole lot easier to read. I sold all my Omnibuses just because they were so ridiculously hard to handle. Reading in bed was out cause they weigh like 30 pounds. LOL
        Fear #19 with the first appearance of Howard the Duck has gone through the roof, even in low grade, since Howard appeared in the post-credit scene of Guardians. It used to be an affordable book, but it got the movie bump that is the industry norm now for back issue pricing, and is now a bit cost-prohibitive. Some of the GS Man-Things with early Howard appearances have gotten a bump too, just not as much as Fear 19. A low grade copy of Fear 19 could run you as much as one of the trades now, a high grade, more than the omnibus would cost, especially if slabbed. With the recent announcement of a Howard the Duck series on Hulu, it's only going to get worse.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
          learning all the time
          • Sep 15, 2010

thanks for that MRP!
          I've seen those but thought they were in b+w.
          not as complete as the omnibus but not too shabby...

and enyawd72, I've been selling off my comic collection on ebay and reallllllllllllllllly don't want to start buying any more!
          the omnibuses aren't perfect (I think the colors are too bright) but I love having all the issues in one place. you're right, they are very heavy but they only take up a small amount of room on the shelf
          Last edited by C.H.O.A.M.; Feb 21, '19, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by C.H.O.A.M.
            thanks for that MRP!
            I've seen those but thought they were in b+w.
            not as complete as the omnibus but not too shabby...

and enyawd72, I've been selling off my comic collection on ebay and reallllllllllllllllly don't want to start buying any more!
            the omnibuses aren't perfect (I think the colors are too bright) but I love having all the issues in one place. you're right, they are very heavy but they only take up a small amount of room on the shelf
            The story from Savage Tales #1 is probably in b&w as that was it's original format. The rest is in color.

The Savage Tales story is also reprinted in the Infernal Man-Thing trade. Infernal Man-Thing was a mini featuring Gerber's last Man-Thing story that was unpublished until 2012. Kevin Nowlan did the art. I got the mini as it came out, and it's good read, but should have been collected with the other Gerber stuff. It's a$20 trade, but Lonestar again has it for less, about $8.

-M

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

Most comic cons have dealers that sell the trades and hardcovers and omnibuses at usually 50 - 70% off the price on the book. I found out through a few friends that Diamond does a warehouse clearance special where they offer up skids of trades and hardcovers and omnibuses at a set price and you really don't know what is on the skid...but the books are literally maybe 20 - 25% of the price on the books themselves. Probably going to a few comic cons in the next 3 months...did you want me to keep an eye out for them for you? Let me know and I will see if I can hook ya up

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                learning all the time
                • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                Most comic cons have dealers that sell the trades and hardcovers and omnibuses at usually 50 - 70% off the price on the book. I found out through a few friends that Diamond does a warehouse clearance special where they offer up skids of trades and hardcovers and omnibuses at a set price and you really don't know what is on the skid...but the books are literally maybe 20 - 25% of the price on the books themselves. Probably going to a few comic cons in the next 3 months...did you want me to keep an eye out for them for you? Let me know and I will see if I can hook ya up
                wow thank you!
                only, wouldn't shipping it to me be a pita?
                for the prices some of the different omnibuses are fetching, you maybe should buy a few titles for yourself to resell for a profit!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by C.H.O.A.M.
                  wow thank you!
                  only, wouldn't shipping it to me be a pita?
                  for the prices some of the different omnibuses are fetching, you maybe should buy a few titles for yourself to resell for a profit!
                  Where are you located? If you are in Europe that might not be a problem. I have an Aunt here from Italy right now and she is probably going back in April. She could take it home with her and then ship to you if you are in Europe.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                    learning all the time
                    • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                    Where are you located? If you are in Europe that might not be a problem. I have an Aunt here from Italy right now and she is probably going back in April. She could take it home with her and then ship to you if you are in Europe.
                    ha no, I'm in the US.
                    I just meant it's a big heavy book.
                    I appreciate the offer, and honestly, you might do well to buy one if you see it cheap just to resell it.
                    if I do buy one online in the next few months I will pm you

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎