X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darklord1967
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2008

Adjusting height and anatomy of Zica Yvonne

From the moment that Zica toys first introduced the highly poseable “Yvonne” action figure, I was grateful to have a 1/9 scale female body that was a considerable upgrade from the standard MEGO female.

I am still very grateful.

But while Zica Yvonne, was a structural improvement over the MEGO female (nicer ball joint articulations for far better posing), she was nevertheless only a marginal improvement in terms of the depiction of an athletic female’s anatomical proportions

With a fit, athletic female form, the predominant weight mass is situated in the lower portion of the body (hips and upper thighs). This is opposite from a fit athletic male form which carries its predominant weight mass up top (broad shoulders, chest and muscular arms.

Like MEGO female, I found Yvonne to be overly tall and lanky, with limbs that were thin and and spindly. Her very slender arms and legs only looked marginally acceptable when used with her smallest bust torso. When used with her medium or large bust torsos, her arms and legs configuration looked completely disproportionate. She became inappropriately top heavy, with virtually no predominant weight mass in her lower mid-section.

Years ago, I had begun to develop my own 1/9 scale body that would allow me to depict an athletic female of approximately 7 inches in height (approximately 5’ 3” tall real life female).

But I abandoned my work on my own female body when Zica Yvonne came on the scene.

And now I have decided to adapt the athletic, toned arms and shorter, better proportioned legs that I developed for my own 1:9 female to the Yvonne head, Torso and pelvis resulting in a female body anatomy and height that I think looks magnitudes better than the awkward And lanky MEGO and Zica females.

My female arms are kit-bash / re-sculpted from two different action figure sources, while the legs have been painstakingly kit-bashed / re-sculpted from no fewer than four different action figure sources.

I’ve spent the last 2 weeks making additional sculpt changes to these limbs to make them compatible for Zica use.

Now I’m just about ready to mold and cast these limbs into final, useable arms and legs.

Just like the Female body I was developing years ago, this “adjusted” Zica “athletic female” stands 7” in height... a perfect size for petite athletic female characters like Supergirl, Batgirl, Poison Ivy, or Harley Quinn.

Last edited by darklord1967; Feb 28, '19, 9:02 AM.
    I... am an action figure customizer
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

Oooohhh! Very nice!

That's very nice indeed! I love it!
    JediJaida

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Awesome! A Mego version of the Matty DCUC/Marvel Legends builds!

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

If this were in mass production I'd get at least ten. Even the head looks to be in perfect proportion to the body.
        JediJaida

Comment

• Boywonder0
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 29, 2007

Great job like always sir! It was very missed!

Comment

• noelani72
            27inaleon
            • Jun 25, 2002

love that millput ;-)

Comment

• boss
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 18, 2003

Very nice. I’ll buy a couple sets if you ever sell any casts.
              Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by boss
                I'll second that!

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

I'll third it!
                  JediJaida

Comment

• darklord1967
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by noelani72
                    love that millput ;-)
                    You KNOW it, brother!! That’s some magic stuff right there!

Originally posted by JediJaida
                    If this were in mass production I'd get at least ten.
                    Originally posted by boss

I’m going to mold and cast up a dozen or so pairs of these specially-developed legs and pelvis for sale at MEGO meet this year.

I’m still trying to figure out how to offer the updated athletic arms since the inside of the toro requires adaptation to accept the pins.
                    Last edited by darklord1967; Feb 21, '19, 1:35 PM.

Comment

• darklord1967
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 27, 2008

If this were in mass production I'd get at least ten. Even the head looks to be in perfect proportion to the body.
                      Yes, I find that meatier, curvier female thighs balance out the anatomy considerably, making the (typically over-sized MEGO-esque) cranium appear smaller and better proportioned. Of course, the kind folks at Zica went a LONG way toward addressing that problem with Yvonne, by reducing the size of her cranium (compared to vintage MEGO women) by quite a bit!

But in the overall analysis, I saw a serious need to smooth out the Zica female pelvis by sculpting away the two strange raised vertical lumps along the front / sides. I also completely hollowed out the pelvis and re-shaped the pelvis leg openings into rounded sockets that would accommodate the larger rounded upper thighs on the legs I developed.

I really wanted to eliminate Yvonne's conspicuous, unsightly angular gap spaces in her pelvis leg sockets. I believed that would go a long way toward softening her female appearance.
                      Last edited by darklord1967; Feb 21, '19, 1:43 PM.

Comment

• JediJaida
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 14, 2008

Did you sculpt that head yourself? It looks great.
                        JediJaida

Comment

• darklord1967
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2008

Did you sculpt that head yourself? It looks great.
                          Thank you again, Jedijaida!

The short answer to your question is no... and yes. LOL!

I believe this head sculpt began life as a 6 inch scale Marvel Legends JUBILEE sculpt. This was the original figure.

Back in 2015, I purchased a resin copy of this head (along with several other female heads) from Russell Pitman while working to develop a suitable Barbara Gordon / Batgirl head sculpt for the custom 1:9 scale figures I was developing

It has always been my intention to create Barbara / Batgirl as two separate custom figures, but have them BOTH with rooted red hair and a Removable cowl for Batgirl. After looking at the various sculpts i purchased from Russel, I selected Jubilee as my Barbara Gordon "starting point". I thought she had the most attractive features, would look best with rooted hair, AND would look most convincing wearing a Bat-cowl.

Evidently, Russell performed a size expansion on the original 6 inch scale sculpt, converting it into 8 inch (1:9) scale, suitable for use with Zica female bodies (the ultimate basis for my own final custom female body). These are what he was offering for sale.

Jubliee was sculpted by Marvel Legends with a full solid head of hair AND a pair on goggles resting on top. Fortunately for me, most of her EARS were sculpted to be free and clear of her short hair style.

Essentially, I needed to turn jubilee into a "bald woman" by very carefully hand-sculpting away those goggles and all of her hair... working around her ears. I sculpted the tips and backs of her ears out of the solid sculpted hair that was covering them.
                          Last edited by darklord1967; Feb 21, '19, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• JediJaida
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 14, 2008

Okay, we definitely need vinyl heads like yours in the proper scale, in different colors.

The revamped Gracie figure sculpt just looks angry. Yours looks like she means business, but isn't angry at the world.
                            JediJaida

Comment

• darklord1967
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 27, 2008

LOL! I know what you mean Jaida!

Finding a pleasant looking female sculpt in 1:9 scale CAN be a pretty big challenge!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎