X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Did you learn to play Chess?

if so what age were you when you started and if you have a about story of your favorite game or move in the past please feel free to share it.
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

I did, but I was never very good. My great uncle was a several time state champion of chess an checkers in Connecticut in the 40s and 50s, and kind of inspired my interest. Whenever we would visit there were literally hundreds of chessboards set up in their (unused) dining room, all with different games in progress that he would play by mail with various different people he knew. I learned how to play from a cousin when I was in 6th grade, and even joined the chess club in 9th grade, but they were all about beating the younger players to make themselves feel good rather than teaching or celebrating the game, so I quit after a year. I haven't played regularly in decades though, and never was better than mediocre at it. When I moved to Ohio in '03, I left behind all the people I used to play with, and haven't really found anyone here to play, so outside of playing a computer I haven't played at all in years, and I don't miss it much (now missing my cribbage buddies back in CT is a whole different story).

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

As a Christmas gift in the late 70s I received a starter chess kit with the possible moves of each oversized piece stamped on it. I was never good at it, but I could still play today if needed. I was always too aggressive and a risk taker. I had the same style with Stratego, Risk and Axis and Allies with similarly disastrous results.
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
        if so what age were you when you started and if you have a story of your favorite game..
        A couple of friends and I picked up Chess when we started High School. There were 3 of us and there was always a lot of smack talk and a penalty for the loser. The most memorable game pitted me against one of the other 2 knuckleheads. I won and he had to drink "God's Creation". This was an ice cream scoop w/ trigger filled with every disgusting thing I could find in the fridge. Topped it off with a ton of salt and pepper. The next day the loser of the match said he wasn't able to sleep and had severe chest pains the entire night. I thought that was funny back then......it's damn near hysterical now.
        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I learned to play in first grade.

During recess a chubby kid in my class always used to sit on the sidelines of the playfield and played chess with himself … One time to be nice I sat by him and asked him what's he playing ….. He showed me how to play over the course of about a week.

From then to now I don't think I've ever won a game

I know how to play, but the ahead of time strategy bores me so I play without thinking.

Comment

• YoungOnce
            Career Member
            • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Mikey
            I learned to play in first grade.

During recess a chubby kid in my class always used to sit on the sidelines of the playfield and played chess with himself … One time to be nice I sat by him and asked him what's he playing ….. He showed me how to play over the course of about a week.

From then to now I don't think I've ever won a game

I know how to play, but the ahead of time strategy bores me so I play without thinking.
            That’s me. I play; learned the game in grade school. But I can’t forecast far enough ahead to beat anyone with a game plan. Although I’ve beat a few better players from time to time because my moves are so erratic and irrational, it busts their template. How’s the saying go... “a million chimps with a keyboard, given enough time...”

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

I assume most of us learned HOW to play. The question might be who got into the game and became good at it.

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

It was a class in my elementary school with Mahjong and one other game. It was an "elective" class we all took. I enjoy playing it and taught my kids.
                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• alex
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 15, 2009

Went to a boarding school in the Uk when I was around 10, my Dad taught me chess, and ended up being the chess captain for a couple of years. We'd invite and go to schools mid week to play.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                    Still Old School
                    • Feb 14, 2008

I always wanted to learn but thought it was too complicated. Over Christmas break my 12yr old son taught me in five minutes. I’ve since practiced online and even scored a win over the computer. I like it.
                    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• LordMudd
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 22, 2011

I learned Chess, checkers, and Chinese checkers as a kid from my mom. She used to stomp all over her dad and his friends when she was a kid, so they stopped playing with her. I almost learned 3 dimensional chess in high school.

CCC.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

I learned how to move the pieces, didn't really learn how to play.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎