X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

For the Collector!

I had a display like this back in college but with 40oz malt liquor bottles, I called it the "Wall of Shame"

Don't forget to join our new facebook group.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • MysteryWho
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 16, 2008

I had a collection of beer bottles and cans as a lad. I used to look for them everywhere, including the trash. I made my dad pull over in case I saw some on the side of the road. My dad went to the beer store and asked for some of the rare cans on the wall. I'm just fully processing as I write this how strange this would seem to people today. At least for a child to do it, anyway. However, this catalogue page proves it wasn't bad parenting but just something kids did back then. I can't wait to tell my psychiatrist!

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

You know you're the son of a redneck when ……….

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

my dad drank out of stubbies and was a major germ-o-phobe, there is just no way I could have gotten into this hobby as a kid.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

6th grade me had a collection of beer signs that was actually quite impressive. My mother was dating a sales rep for Shasta beverages at the time. Whenever he made deliveries to bars or restaurants, he'd grab a beer sign for me. I had light-up signs, clocks, 3-D displays... some really neat stuff. I'm not sure why no one ever questioned the appropriateness of giving these to a kid OR what kind of message I was getting since this guy was an alcoholic!
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• tay666
            Career Member
            • Dec 27, 2008

I used to have an extensive beer can collection. It eventually took over the entire shelf unit in the basement.
            I dreamed of having those wall holders.
            I had old-rare cans. Flat tops (the ones that required an opener), T-tops, etc.
            I used to carry a bag with me, when I went on bike rides, or walks. Would find them in ditches along the road, old dump sites I would find in the woods, you name it. Lots of kids collected. We used to bring them to school and trade them. (this would have been Jr High school). The school library even had one of those collecting books / price guides.
            I even had a bunch that were unopened. Including 2 cans of Billy beer. My dad and his friends had tried it, and hated it. So I got the 2 remaining ones from the 6-pack.
            I had somewhere around 250-300 cans when we moved from the house we were in at the time.
            No room at the new house, so they all went out to the trash.

I was ok with it. By then, I had sort of moved on.
            I had also emptied just about all the full cans I had had in the collection. My friends and I would sample them while playing pool in the basement when my parents weren't home :D
            (would still love to run across some old Schmidt's Tiger Head Ale. I had one full can in the collection, and it was the best one I tasted)
            Last edited by tay666; Feb 28, '19, 5:54 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

My Grandpa used to save me the Schmidt Beer cans from Wisconsin with the wildlife paintings on them.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• tay666
                Career Member
                • Dec 27, 2008

That reminds me of the 7-Up bicentennial cans with the states on the front, and when stacked the backs made an image of uncle sam.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

funny thing is the cans in the add are all from really crappy beers, LOL

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎