X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

The Umbrella Academy on NETFLIX

Anyone else here watching this? I've never read a single issue, but I binge-watched the entire ten-episode series in two evenings and I have to say I was massively entertained. I've heard some grumblings coming from across the Interwebs that it deviated too far from the source material, but since I've never read the books, as stated above, I can't address that particular bias. What I will say is that it had some tremendous acting from Ellen Page as a character named Vanya, Emmy Raver-Lampman as Allison, Mary J. Blige and Cameron Britton as Cha Cha and Hazel and especially Robert Sheehan as Klaus and Aidan Gallagher as Number Five. If you've got the time and impetus, I highly recommend checking it out....
    Last edited by emeraldknight47; Feb 20, '19, 2:24 AM.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Watched the first episode, looks interesting. I must admit what really grabbed me was that the donut shop fight was in my old neighborhood.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

I'm halfway through and am really enjoying it.
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

I will get to it (so many things to watch). I've only ever read the Free Comic Book Day issue that the team debuted in many moons ago, which I found interesting when it came out, but that was at a time where my comic budget was extremely limited and I never followed up on it (again some day I will get to it via trade or library borrows). The clips I have seen looked really good though.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

I meant to mention in my initial post that the music for the show, both score AND multi-generational, multi-genre songs choices, are fantastic. I’ve already downloaded both from Apple Music for my listening pleasure.
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
            I meant to mention in my initial post that the music for the show, both score AND multi-generational, multi-genre songs choices, are fantastic. I’ve already downloaded both from Apple Music for my listening pleasure.
            Does Gerard Way do any of the music? He created and wrote the comic, but he was also the frontman for My Chemical Romance?

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

Wife and I are about 8 eps in. It's no "Russian Doll" but it's fun - we both dig it. I didn't read the comics either.

Originally posted by palitoy
              Watched the first episode, looks interesting. I must admit what really grabbed me was that the donut shop fight was in my old neighborhood.
              Yup! Half the fun for us is figuring out where they shot stuff and trying to place all the Canadian actors.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by MRP
                Does Gerard Way do any of the music? He created and wrote the comic, but he was also the frontman for My Chemical Romance?

-M
                Gerard Way actually contributes two songs to the soundtrack that come into play at fairly crucial points in the show. One is a remake of "Hazy Shade of Winter" and the other is a version of "Happy Together."

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                  Gerard Way actually contributes two songs to the soundtrack that come into play at fairly crucial points in the show. One is a remake of "Hazy Shade of Winter" and the other is a version of "Happy Together."
                  Thanks for replying.

-M

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

read the first two stories, neat mashup of Village of the Damned and the XMen. Probably won't ever see the series as I am over Netflix. It was a really good comic, I was skeptical since Gerard Way's music career is kind of hacky and cringe worthy.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

I am about halfway through. it is interesting but I am not really captivated by it at this point. if I wasn't home sick with the flu I probably would not even continue. I don't mean ti say it is not a good show, I am just not getting drawn in as I thought I would from reading all these posts

Comment

• pmwasson
                        Maker
                        • Sep 12, 2007

I finished the series and thought it was cool. The last 3 episodes really up the game.

One question that may be spoilery:

What time does this take place in? I thought they said it was contemporary, but nobody seems to use a cell phone, computer or modern car. Maybe the main story is in an alternate timeline?
                        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

i actually think they made a point of not showing a year on anything, including news papers. an alternate timeline might be the best answer. I enjoyed the show overall but I thought they left way to many unanswered questions. maybe in season 2? I had never heard of the comic so have no reference for the storyline. I just thought it weird they never explain the mass birthing by un-pregnant woman. and never mention all the other kids that the father did not get to buy off the mothers and adopt. are they super powered also?

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

I’m going to start watching it...
                            sigpic

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by pmwasson
                              What time does this take place in? I thought they said it was contemporary, but nobody seems to use a cell phone, computer or modern car. Maybe the main story is in an alternate timeline?
                              I believe it's purposely vague - the universe in Wes Anderson movies seems close.

EDIT - just noticed Nostalgiabuff already answered!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎