X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Impromptu interview with Marty Abrams at Toy Fair

Ran across this where Marty talks the future of the line and what to look for and answers a lightning round of questions about properties in play...

some highlights
    -other Kiss characters coming
    -more Trek including TNG and DS9 are in the works and coming
    -more focus on sci-fi/horror/action toys with more play value and less on nostalgia TV moving forward
    -in talks with Kroft for licenses (Land of the Lost was specifically asked about) but nothing definite yet

it runs about 10-11 minutes, and there are lots of little tidbits in there

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

It's a good video that gains a lot of ground although I was floored by the rudeness of one of the fan questions. It could have been phrased a lot better.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• scott metzger
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
      It's a good video that gains a lot of ground although I was floored by the rudeness of one of the fan questions.
      Yeah! So what if you can't get the actual licenses to do super heroes like in the old days! Do it anyway!!!!!

One humorous moment was when he was asked about Supernatural, and didn't realize they were talking about the series and not the genre (and I think that series is a prime candidate for the Mego treatment).

I had previously commented that we really didn't see anything new, but we did find out a lot here. Most important, I think, is the revelation that Mego has the full original timeline Trek license. That is an ENORMOUS reservoir of popular characters. While I still want the original line, along with the original aliens (Talos, please!), this opens up a big door. Next Gen is easily as popular as the original series, and there's only been a smattering of retail figures from any of the Trek properties for years. Mego really has an open field here.

To me, that's the big news, but knowing that things like Oz will likely be continuing and that they are at least pursuing things like Steve Austin and Jamie Sommers as new licenses gives me good hope for the future of the lines. Also glad they are done with Target after this current exclusive wave; the frustration of dealing with that retailer as opposed to the ease of ordering the rest of the figures being offered now doesn't help the line.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by scott metzger
        Yeah! So what if you can't get the actual licenses to do super heroes like in the old days! Do it anyway!!!!!

One humorous moment was when he was asked about Supernatural, and didn't realize they were talking about the series and not the genre (and I think that series is a prime candidate for the Mego treatment).
        Yeah that but also, their actions already speak for themselves, not one license they've shown at Toyfair didn't have a likeness. Not one classic sitcom has been announced or even continued. It feels like the course correction is happening already.

Even though I don't care for "Impractical Jokers", it serves as a good example of the company trying to branch out of the nostalgia market and take a shot at something new.

I just think it was tersely worded and well, moot.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• newlyknighted
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 21, 2010

When should we organize the parade for Marty, and his Mego team?
          When he says more Trek is coming including Quark, one of his favorite characters, I could not be more pleased. Now, maybe our dreams of a Mego produced shuttlecraft being shared by Spock, Riker, Worf, Seven of Nine, Quark, and Data can become a reality!
          I cannot wait for more tv series and movie era 8" Trek.
          Hopefully Mego builds us a new bridge playset at the Utopia Planitia Shipyards for NCC-1701-D.
          I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• Spectator
            Museum Patron
            • Feb 4, 2019

Originally posted by newlyknighted
            When he says more Trek is coming including Quark, one of his favorite characters, I could not be more pleased.
            He said Quark?!

Wahoo! There's no way they're doing Quark without also doing Sisko!

And that's my dream.

Comment

• danadoll
              Micronaut Nut!
              • Apr 11, 2005

Great interview, I like that Mego will be moving away from the sitcom stuff (thank you), but that was to appease Target, anyway. I love that they'll continue in the sci-fi and horror/monster area and in the area of action TV/movies. Maybe they'll do something in those areas that I'll like....I hope.

Dana
              "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• GordoCrisp
                Museum Super Collector
                • Nov 1, 2012

Krofft products, please oh please!

We're not getting any younger over here!

Comment

• Treadwell
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Dec 31, 2018

I love how he has to add the unnecessary phrase "the answer to that question is" before the actual answer.

Personally I don't foresee $4 superballs becoming the next Pog craze but I wish him luck.

Comment

• Spectator
                    Museum Patron
                    • Feb 4, 2019

Originally posted by Treadwell
                    I don't foresee $4 superballs becoming the next Pog craze
                    And I've never bought a Funko Pop, but apparently somebody has.

Comment

• Artistix
                      • Apr 9, 2012

The rambling question about not liking TV show figures was odd...& so was Marty's response to it - 'We agree'

What did that mean?

I hope they won't drop lines like Married with Children & Facts of Life when we are soo close to completing them!

Comment

• Treadwell
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Dec 31, 2018

Well the question said it: that there isn't much playability in characters from sitcoms, compared to superheroes and the like. His answer suggests to me that kind of thing was done at Target's request and is not the direction he would've chosen to go in himself.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Artistix
                          The rambling question about not liking TV show figures was odd...& so was Marty's response to it - 'We agree'

What did that mean?

I hope they won't drop lines like Married with Children & Facts of Life when we are soo close to completing them!
                          The answer wasn’t odd. It was very direct. Those lines are done, including The Brady Binch and Happy Days.

Anyhow, I think it was a very good interview. It may have seemed slightly sloppy, but it covered a lot of ground and in a short amount of time. And, I think the Super Balls are nice. It’s a good idea and maybe they’ll be a hit. Mego has to branch out and try new things. Some things will be misses, but others will be hits.

- Ian
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

I thought Marty flat out nailed that "interview." It can't be easy to run the booth and be at the mercy of every wannabe with a GoPro who wanders up. I thought it was a classy move to let the interviewer off the hook with the response of "we agree."

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 15, 2010

More from Toy Fair and Mego/Marty:

https://trekmovie.com/2019/02/19/toy...-qmx-and-more/

"NOTE: The heads of Kirk and Spock are temporary, they’re from Mego’s old Star Trek: The Motion Picture product line, and are not the final product."

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/02/sta...s-models-mego/

"These four 14″ figures are still in the development stage, with the illustrative examples shown at ToyFair built using old Star Trek: The Motion Picture character heads, and preliminary packaging which inaccurately measures the dolls at only 8″ in its text."

Barnabas Collins

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎