X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by VulcanFanatic
    I agree with that too. The original belts held the phaser without a rubber band and the new ones should too.
    That's the same issue I have with the line. Other than that my figures have been pretty good.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

The EMCE/Diamond Select Trek figures also used the rubber band, made the mistake of taking it off and I had to put the phaser on backwards in order to keep it from falling off, I had to buy a few original belts off ebay, to fix it up.

Comment

• VulcanFanatic
        Banned
        • Jan 24, 2009

After many years I purchased a 1974 Mego Star Trek bridgeset from eBay. I owned this as kid in the 1970's and really enjoyed it then. The set that I bought included a complete original Spock and Kirk that are in great condition. Taking a new look at original mego figures as compared with the new Mego's produced recently, it made me realize on another level that the newer figures from mego are just not the same quality at all. I am ecstatic to get new Mego's , but at the same time I am a bit disappointed that quality is so much worse than the originals are. Headsculpts, facial details, Star Trek uniform shirt collars, the change from a snap to the Velcro that doesn't go all the way down the rear of the shirt. The belt not being able to hold the phaser in. I hope they will start paying more attention to these things in future figure offerings.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Few repros are as nice as the originals. And the new Megos are out at a very low price, mass-market price point. Some design elements are sloppy, some are a result of that price-point.

I think BBP Ventures, DST/Emce Trek And Universal Monsters, and some FTC like Hanna-Barbara are indicative of better quality. And new Mego has done some beautiful figures, too. But IMO, their Trek releases are all over the place in terms of quality.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 27, '19, 4:24 PM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• tllgn
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 6, 2010

LT Uhura can be fixed as well the orignal mego is better then the new mego which is better then the emce .the tunic is not as well done as good as the orignal .and if their going to screen print the emblem which
            is good they should include the inner symbol like they did with the bif bang pow big bang theory trek figures .

Comment

• VulcanFanatic
              Banned
              • Jan 24, 2009

I understand the price point they are being sold at right now, but how well do you think these figures will hold up in 45 years? Look at the original Mego's figures from 1974, if it's MOC its most likely going to look as great today as it did in 1974. When mego started trying to go cheap in the early 1980's, we got STTMP, Chips and Dukes of Hazzard figures with blotches on their faces due to using inferior quality plastics I believe. I would rather pay a little more and get better quality than buy into a whole line of figures that start degrading after a short time. I hope they will try to improve quality going forward. Some of the Star Trek figures look great, but others could stand improvement.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by VulcanFanatic
                I understand the price point they are being sold at right now, but how well do you think these figures will hold up in 45 years? Look at the original Mego's figures from 1974, if it's MOC its most likely going to look as great today as it did in 1974. When mego started trying to go cheap in the early 1980's, we got STTMP, Chips and Dukes of Hazzard figures with blotches on their faces due to using inferior quality plastics I believe. I would rather pay a little more and get better quality than buy into a whole line of figures that start degrading after a short time. I hope they will try to improve quality going forward. Some of the Star Trek figures look great, but others could stand improvement.

I just really hope I care how they've held up 45 years from now. I just really hope I care about anything 45 years from now.

Comment

• VulcanFanatic
                  Banned
                  • Jan 24, 2009

Hopefully they used good quality plastic in the new figures or you may find out in 5 years rather than 45 years.

Comment

• Eric
                    Museum Patron
                    • Jan 11, 2008

Forty-five years from now, when I'm 102, I do hope that my 2018-19 Megos are still in good shape. But for the moment, I'm more concerned about things that worked 45 years ago but are wonky today, like belt phaser holders that held the phasers and tunic black collars that stayed down.

Comment

• VulcanFanatic
                      Banned
                      • Jan 24, 2009

Yes, the belt not holding the phaser and collar issues are big for me too. I guess I am looking beyond these issues and hoping these shortcuts or flaws are not indicative of further ranging shortcuts or flaws that could impact collectors over the years. Many people buy these figures just to enjoy, and many buy multiples as an investment for later down the road sales or trades. I am thrilled that the Mego figures of the early to mid 1970's have held up so great and I'm hoping that the current Mego's will be as long lasting as the original

Comment

• phil
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 11, 2007

Is there a simple way to get the collars to lay more flat?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by phil
                          Is there a simple way to get the collars to lay more flat?
                          Very small amount of hot glue along the seam line, maybe.

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                            Very small amount of hot glue along the seam line, maybe.
                            Thank you.

Comment

• onesixthscale
                              • Mar 23, 2019

The black collars lifting up stain the necks of the figures, too. I predict the new Megos will eventually increase the value of original Mego Trek figures in very good, excellent and like new condition. They are better quality/better value right now. If Mego released Scotty or a generic Security red shirt, Nurse Chapel they would sell out fast for customs.

Comment

• phil
                                Persistent Member
                                • May 11, 2007

I finally got around to making a scarf for my Mirror Spock figure and was disappointed at how poorly the shirt fits on the figure. His hands barely show.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎