Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

it was pre-orders that sold out. they likely only had a certain allotment that they could do pre-orders on

Comment

• RonnyG
      Career Member
      • Apr 23, 2014

Those bring back memories because I collected these figures as a kid. I still have the figures, but I sold the playsets and vehicles on ebay a few years ago to free up space and make some money. I think Jawa was the hardest to find because, if I remember correctly, the first Jawa came in a "plastic" robe and sold out quickly (or was recalled) because I have the "cloth" robe version. I think I got the display base through a cereal promotion???

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I'd love it if Hasbro would reissue the original o-ring RAH GI JOEs like this.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• RonnyG
          Career Member
          • Apr 23, 2014

I just noticed on my figure display (above) that they spelled R2D2, "Artoo Detoo, and C3P0 as "See Threepio." LOL Did any of the early carded figures spell their names that way???

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Yes, that was very common with those characters at that time. Trading cards, press information... they all spelled it phonetically and with the numerals and letters. I liked it, because it was unique for the most part to the first film. They got away from that in later years. I also liked "Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi"

Comment

• SeattleEd
              SynthoRes Transmigrator
              • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by RonnyG
              I just noticed on my figure display (above) that they spelled R2D2, "Artoo Detoo, and C3P0 as "See Threepio." LOL Did any of the early carded figures spell their names that way???
              Pretty how I was introduced and grew up with this nomenclature of characters. It was on the carded figures and activity books and other toys. Brings back memories. Mission accomplished.

Comment

• RonnyG
                Career Member
                • Apr 23, 2014

The new Han Solo figure on the Target website has "bangs", but my original Han Solo has his hair parted in the middle????
                han.jpg

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

I just noticed this thread.

Wow! Those are probably going to sell like crazy. I won’t be surprised if they end up being tough to get. They’re neat!

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

What's really interesting is that this is not the first time Hasbro has done this. What's even more interesting is that the reaction is completely different this time.

Back in 1995, they released the Classic 4 Pack to very low sales, and very little interest. In fact, just the opposite. Fans were angry. They wanted new figures, not re-pops. To this day, serious Vintage collectors look on these with disdain because they devalue originals, can be passed off as original, blah, blah, blah.

Personally, I love the classic 4 pack. It's just fun to open up a new reproduction of a classic figure and do what you want with it without worrying about damaging a real vintage figure.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

^ You know, I recall those now that you have mentioned and showed them. I must have seen a photo, like this, of them.

I can’t tell what the “Star Wars people” over at Yakface think of them, overall. It seems pretty well mixed.

- Ian

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

There will no doubt be a wave of angry elitist collectors screaming about how these reproductions will devalue their precious investments. To them I say...tough.
                        One upon a time toys were actually TOYS, not collectibles to invest in.

If the sold out pre-orders are any indication, these are going to be a HUGE hit. I know I'll be getting them all. My vintage originals be damned. I'm just happy to be able to buy Kenner Star Wars again.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I'm inclined to agree. I'm happy with all sorts of repros if the quality is good.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            If the sold out pre-orders are any indication, these are going to be a HUGE hit. I know I'll be getting them all. My vintage originals be damned. I'm just happy to be able to buy Kenner Star Wars again.
                            I went whole-hog on the Black Series 40th and I roped in the original 12...plus the bonus R5D4 and I got the most incredible deal on a Land Speeder. Anyway, that was a lot of fun to be on the hunt again and feel that sense of completion......however, these are the figures I was chasing, thought they didn't exist at the time.

So once more unto the breech, dear friends, once more.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

I agree with what you guys have said. On top of that, the vintage figures are pretty darn expensive, even loose, in good shape. So, yeah, these are most welcomed! Pick them up and enjoy!

- Ian

Comment

• jwyblejr
                                galactic yo-yo
                                • Apr 6, 2006

I'm hoping they do the buy 2 get 1 free deal. Then I'll be more than likely to buy them.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎