Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Agent4125
    Museum Super Collector
    • Aug 23, 2007

I was waiting for a nice anniversary or commemorative line with repro figures on repro cards for many years.
    But I am disappointed of what Hasbro has presented now.

I don't like the "shelf wear" design of the cards. And the huge "sticker" is ugly.
    The card backs could have been nicer, too.

According to articles such as this one on jedibusiness.com the "sticker" is not removable (printed on).
    And they say that the figures are Target exclusives (except for Tarkin). That's not good.
    (yeah, no problem for people in the U.S. But a problem for us overseas fans )
    Last edited by Agent4125; Feb 18, '19, 1:48 PM.

Comment

• powersthatbe
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 27, 2010

there was approx. 60 or more vintage figures correct? so I can't see why not they can't be all remade. Tarkin gives me hope that we will see never before figures like luke in ceremonial jacket and ANH rebel trooper.

Comment

• jimbutsu
        Memory *is* RAM!
        • Apr 11, 2002

There was about 100 vintage figures and some of them would be absolute dogs if they got remade (though interest in vintage SW is so high, that's probably not true anymore).

I'm torn on this - I have minty vintage examples of all the figs they're releasing, and multiples of a few (all loose, not carded), yet I'm still disheartened that the preorders sold out so quick and I'm expecting these to be a mess to track down. I think it's the allure of having some vintage figs that I can rip open and not feel the least bit compelled to baby.

"New" vintage aside, I love that there's the promise of figures that never got made beyond Tarkin though - that's just really enticing to me.
        "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jimbutsu
          There was about 100 vintage figures
          If you add in the Droids and Ewoks cartoon lines you get even more. I hope this line goes on for years.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jimbutsu
            Memory *is* RAM!
            • Apr 11, 2002

Also - Am I the only one who thinks that the Tarkin figure looks like John Deacon?
            "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Chris
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
              There will no doubt be a wave of angry elitist collectors screaming about how these reproductions will devalue their precious investments. To them I say...tough.
              Yep. The hardcore collectors are upset. There is always the POTF2 line. Nobody will be recreating that. Hahaha.
              My original SW figures are deteriorating/melting so bring it on!
              If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                Veteran Member
                • May 15, 2012

I am also hoping that the "repro"-hating Star Wars collectors will avoid these. These will still be a pain to find at Target. They are already being listed on eBay (pre-order) for 4 times the MSRP. If I can't get them when they first come out, I'll wait it out. Learned that lesson with the 40th anniversary black figures. They were $450+ for the set, and now have dropped to around MSRP.

The escape from the Death Star game is pretty fun, too. My daughter enjoys playing the original.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

The boardgame is starting to hit Target and its been confirmed the retro sticker does come off. Just be careful doing it.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

I have a vintage board game that was given to me years ago and had never even been played. don't think I have ever played it either, LOL. my kids have played a couple times though

Comment

• Figuremod73
                      That 80's guy
                      • Jul 27, 2011

So these will start showing up at Target by the end of next month? I hope availability is better than it was with some of the Mego waves.

I also have wanted these for years. In fact, just the other day I came close to buying an vintage Vader for around $30 bucks at a comic store.

It's a good thing I saw this thread.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        The boardgame is starting to hit Target and its been confirmed the retro sticker does come off. Just be careful doing it.

http://starwarscollector.com/8-front...is-not-so-easy
                        That is great news. I didn't want to buy these with that massive sticker ruining the look of the card.
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• alex
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jun 15, 2009

Just read with what care U have to remove the sticker, I dont think Ill be attempting it.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Figuremod73
                            So these will start showing up at Target by the end of next month? I hope availability is better than it was with some of the Mego waves.

I also have wanted these for years. In fact, just the other day I came close to buying an vintage Vader for around $30 bucks at a comic store.

It's a good thing I saw this thread.

Target's website is saying around May 12th.

Comment

• chunky B
                              Museum Eclectic Collector
                              • Apr 9, 2009

I found the game while running errands at lunch.

IMG_8067.JPG

It was at Target in San Antonio, TX. It was not located in the action figure aisle, it was on an end cap that was facing the other games and puzzles, the end cap was an assortment of board games.

It was stocked so the end was facing the aisle and not the front of the package. It was almost like it was just put there, like that was just where an employee thought it should go, but I am no expert. The other games on the end cap were all front facing. They had about five of these in stock, and it rang up for 19.99 (plus our sales tax).

The action figure aisle did not have any of the single carded figures, the Star Wars section looked a lot more picked over than usual, I did not see any of the shelf tags with the Retro collection noted, they looked like they may be doing a reset, again no expert. The clearance section had several SW related items on it's shelves that leads me to believe they may being resetting the section at this store or just making some room for other stock.

I just grabbed the one, I never had this game as a kid and have always wanted to get one to give it a play, so I will probably be opening the game and displaying the carded Tarkin with my vintage collection.

My personal opinion on the weathered look, I get why they did it, I just don't care for it. But, it is what it is. I hope this helps others looking for it.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                                Museum Paramedic
                                • Aug 31, 2005

I can’t see the weathering in the picture...maybe I’m just overlooking it. Anyhow, it looks excellent. From what I can tell, the figure is quite nice.

- Ian
                                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎