X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

New Lego horror theme Hidden Side

Transformable sets haunted by AR ghosts.

As much as we like to shake our metaphorical canes at kids and lament how they're all about Minecraft and Fortnite these days, the truth is that they're still really big into physical play too. Children still love Lego, both the plastic bricks and the worlds they can create with them. However, the company is now going to try to unite all these different aspects -- building, video gaming and storytelling -- with its new AR-based line, Lego Hidden Side. Kids can construct sets and bring them to life using their phones, with a continuing narrative to keep them coming back for more.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

My daughter will love this.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Godzilla
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 3, 2002

Interesting idea. I'm curious how fun the games will be.
      Mortui Vivos Docent
      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

Negating the modifying and rebuild aspect of LEGO won't last, I don't think. The AR might have interest for a while, but breaking out the same LEGO kit to see if you have unlocked more levels of play can only really go so far, especially if it is the kids placing the real-life 'hidden' objects that the AR is telling them to seek out. These sets would need some massive transformability for this to last, plus LEGO would then cut into revenue from their next release cycle if kids were still playing with the older kits. Fun idea, but I think it needs some serious tweaking in order to flourish.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎