Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obi
    • Feb 1, 2010

Custom 1966 Batmobile to better scale?

I know there was a member who custom manufactured a 1966 Mego scale Batmobile from a model of the original Futura car as a base. He had all of the parts increased in scale. I've long thought this was a brilliant idea but it took a lot of money and a long time to do.

With the advent of 3D Printing I would think this might be achievable now for much less money if a source of the kit was available. There is a die-cast model of the 1966 Batmobile available that might work for this.

Does anyone have any experience with 3D printing that could offer an opinion on the feasibility of such a project?
  • Ivaniski
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 24, 2007

Sounds like a very clever idea. May even work....I'll be the 1st to purchase one.

Comment

• darklord1967
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by Obi
      I know there was a member who custom manufactured a 1966 Mego scale Batmobile from a model of the original Futura car as a base. He had all of the parts increased in scale. I've long thought this was a brilliant idea but it took a lot of money and a long time to do.

With the advent of 3D Printing I would think this might be achievable now for much less money if a source of the kit was available. There is a die-cast model of the 1966 Batmobile available that might work for this.

Does anyone have any experience with 3D printing that could offer an opinion on the feasibility of such a project?

I am the member you refer to who is building a Batmobile from a scaled up Bat-Converted Lincoln Futura model kit. For all intents and purposes, I am currently already doing what you have just suggested.

I began the project way back when 3D printing was still a technology in its infancy. I can tell you with every certainty that the limitations that existed back then for a project like this pretty much STILL exist today.

Affordable 3D printed parts are STILL not perfectly smooth enough right off the print bed. They still have a pretty rough texture, and you will have to spend untold weeks and months sanding the parts perfectly smooth.

And even at this medium print quality resolution, you're looking at production costs upwards of over $8,000 - $10,000 for an approximately 25" Batmobile body shell alone (the correct scale for 8" Mego)... even today.

For finest quality, smoothest surface texture 3D printed body shell, you're looking at costs upwards of $18,000 - $22,000.

To complicate things further, a clean, professional-looking, properly built Batmobile will still require traditional prototyping techniques APART from 3D printing that will incur considerable costs (Re: scratch sculpting of large flat shapes (to avoid unnecessary 3D print costs), molding and casting rubber parts like tires, vacu-forming clear bubble windshields (still no 3D printing available for clear parts), photo etching metal details parts like grilles, license plates, wheel spinners etc.). The list is endless.

If anyone is interested, I am still hard at work on my own Batmobile project, and you can check out the thread here :

Alright, I can?t keep it under wraps anymore. And frankly, I don?t believe I even really want to try. It?s just not my style. I?ve played coy about it anytime it?s even mentioned on these boards. But I?ve now decided that I might as well just start a thread that chronicles its full progress right up until the last detail.
      Last edited by darklord1967; Feb 23, '19, 11:46 PM.
      I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• Obi
        • Feb 1, 2010

Thanks for the input and the update.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡