Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WB streaming coming soon (bye bye Netfilx)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

WB streaming coming soon (bye bye Netfilx)

“You can expect the crown jewels of Warner” — referring to hit shows like Friends and The Big Bang Theory — “will ultimately end up on the new service,” WarnerMedia chief creative officer Kevin Reilly told reporters at the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Monday. (In fact, both those shows were specifically included in the service’s promotional materials.) And he’s not planning on sharing them with Netflix or any other competitors, either: “Sharing destination assets is not a good model. My belief is they should be exclusive to the service.”

Along with those hit sitcoms, the WarnerMedia streaming service — which still doesn’t have a name or a price point, but is set to launch in beta form by the end of the year — has its eye on CW shows like The Flash, Arrow and Riverdale that currently make Netflix their streaming home. The CW’s output deal with Netflix expires this spring, Reilly points out, and “we’re very interested in putting that on our platform.”

The unnamed service will also offer access to HBO programming and the Warner Bros. library of theatrical films. Original programming is planned as well, but won’t start rolling out until next year. (1)

Another site stated that the WB Streaming service is thinking about folding in there DC Universe into the WB Streaming site. Makes since to me. One of the main reason I haven't bought my ticket to the DC Universe is I have all there movies and it is not worth the monthly charge to watch one new episode a week. I was going to wait till there was enough new footage to binge watch them but if the WB Streaming does fold them in I can get behind that. The have so many movies & tv series to rewatch that I have not bought yet.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

None of the studio standalones will survive past 5 years. They're asking for company brand loyalty after conditioning the audience for decades, to ignore it.

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

The Disney streaming I feel will make it, but I don't see myself subscribing to any of the standalones to be able to see whatever new thing they are peddling.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

My other problem with the streaming service is that I am on satellite and watching movies eat away at my data plan. So with Hulu, Netflix, Disney, Youtube, DC Universe, Sony, and now WB it not only get expensive but hard to watch all the new vidz.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by drquest
          The Disney streaming I feel will make it, but I don't see myself subscribing to any of the standalones to be able to see whatever new thing they are peddling.
          You would think, but as of now they own 60% of Hulu. Speculation was they would dump the Fox library on there, but if you piecemeal it what's the point? For example, put Simpsons on Disney+ and you've just taken away the biggest cash cow in FOX TV history. To keep both, subscribing to one will have to offer a discount for the other.

The WB one is really strange. They've been at this - HBO+, Warner Archive, Boomerang, DC - for years and only HBO gained some traction. Now they're going to merge them all, which is the equivalent of subscribing to a tier 2 cable package of CN, TNT, TBS, CW, TCM and HBO.

It's all going to boil down to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube TV. You'll have a master sub to one of those and then a mini-sub for the archives. So let's say you have Netflix, then for 5/month you can get WWE Network. Or with YouTube TV, you can access the WB Cloud and ala carte from one of their archives, (i.e 5/mo gets you all DC related content).

The unknown is Comcast since they own NBCUniversal. Being a cable carrier and media arm now works against itself.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

And its all going to boil down to coting as much as cable did if you want to watch Disney, WB, Hulu, etc. I'll just stick with the free stuff on Roku, thanks.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

I’ve gone without cable for years and have added Netflix a few years ago. But they don’t update their content enuf I find. I’d welcome a new alternative
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Yeah I was wondering why there is no Superman content on Netflix or Hulu. Perhaps the WB is saving it for their Network.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by hedrap
                  None of the studio standalones will survive past 5 years. They're asking for company brand loyalty after conditioning the audience for decades, to ignore it.
                  Originally posted by hedrap
                  It's all going to boil down to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube TV. You'll have a master sub to one of those and then a mini-sub for the archives. So let's say you have Netflix, then for 5/month you can get WWE Network. Or with YouTube TV, you can access the WB Cloud and ala carte from one of their archives, (i.e 5/mo gets you all DC related content).
                  Yeah, I think the above is more likely. I will never pay the crazy prices for cable or satellite, where I don't watch 99% of the crap they offer, so the streaming service(s) that can provide the best value bundle with the stuff I want to watch is where my money is going to go.

Predicting the demise of Netflix might be a tad bit premature.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Netflix is the incumbent and has the tactical "higher ground" advantage. It has created it's own beloved brands and revived many others.

The upcoming streaming war is going to be fascinating to watch, some will fail miserably, some will succeed and I think we're going to get catered to spectacularly through niche programming like we've never seen.

Personally, I think there will be three outcomes, 1) it's going to be a fantastic book, 2) Netflix will be one of the survivors and may end up merging with a failing brand and 3) it will be the golden age of video piracy!

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

This raises so many questions for me. What'll they do with stuff like HBO Go or CW Seed or CW's streaming channel or HBO Now? And since AT&T owns Warners what about DirectTV's streaming service?

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Direct TV is a separate arm. Hell, it's even separate from ATT U-Verse which is fiber optic. They actually compete against each other.

As for the HBO GO and whatnot, at some point after the WB launch they will roll them all into the main service. This way, they'll get to count those subs as new subs in their quarterly report.

As Pali said, piracy is going to be nuts. The level of devaluation being applied to media libraries is just as insane. The per play value of an HB cartoon right now is about a .25

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Netflix is the incumbent and has the tactical "higher ground" advantage. It has created it's own beloved brands and revived many others.

The upcoming streaming war is going to be fascinating to watch, some will fail miserably, some will succeed and I think we're going to get catered to spectacularly through niche programming like we've never seen.

Personally, I think there will be three outcomes, 1) it's going to be a fantastic book, 2) Netflix will be one of the survivors and may end up merging with a failing brand and 3) it will be the golden age of video piracy!
                          Yeah, agree with all of this.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Yes, Netflix is the Coca Cola and McDonalds of the streaming world. Everyone else is Pepsi and Burger King, you know, perpetual second place banana. You never see Coke and McDonalds ever mentioning their competitors in commercials...but the other way around happens all the time.

I’m not getting WB. I hate Friends. I’ve already seen all the Big Bang episodes...and I could care less about any of the lame CW shows, lol.
                            sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Looks like Disney will soon be the Coke and McDonalds of streaming. 6.99 a month 30 seasons of the Simpsons, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar and all of the Disney catalog eventually available and most of it on day one. Netflix at 12.99 is going to have to do something to compete with that monstrosity.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎