Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WB streaming coming soon (bye bye Netfilx)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WannabeMego
    Made in the USA
    • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
    Looks like Disney will soon be the Coke and McDonalds of streaming. 6.99 a month 30 seasons of the Simpsons, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar and all of the Disney catalog eventually available and most of it on day one. Netflix at 12.99 is going to have to do something to compete with that monstrosity.
    Totally Agree...at $6.99 I'm definitely in with all the New Star Wars & Marvel streaming content alone.
    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

It will be interesting to see how this will play out, but don't underestimate Disney. Bob Iger has been stockpiling content for a long time- Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel and now Fox. The question is how much they will put into original content. Netflix was smart to build their reputation with original content. It makes it so much more than a library.

CBS is also interesting. They were one of the last holdouts as far as allowing their material to be placed on Netflix. Most entertainment companies knew they were building up Netflix, but they couldn't resist the hundreds of millions in licensing fees Netflix was doling out. You have to have pretty deep pockets to start turning that revenue down, but that is exactly what Warner and Disney are doing.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Wee67
        It will be interesting to see how this will play out, but don't underestimate Disney. Bob Iger has been stockpiling content for a long time- Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel and now Fox. The question is how much they will put into original content. Netflix was smart to build their reputation with original content. It makes it so much more than a library.

CBS is also interesting. They were one of the last holdouts as far as allowing their material to be placed on Netflix. Most entertainment companies knew they were building up Netflix, but they couldn't resist the hundreds of millions in licensing fees Netflix was doling out. You have to have pretty deep pockets to start turning that revenue down, but that is exactly what Warner and Disney are doing.
        Not underestimating Disney at all, they are putting the screws to Netflix and its 12 buck a month fee. There are people that will pay 7 bucks a month just for the 30 seasons of the Simpsons. All the other services will have to blink in the face of this Disney Monstrosity.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

I could give two farts about the Simpsons, lol.
          sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Hector
            I could give two farts about the Simpsons, lol.
            One out of bazillions of people. I'm more interested to see what the price of the Disney + Hulu and ESPN package will be. Disney is either going to force Netflix to compete pricewise or bury them.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• johnnystorm
              Hot Child in the City
              • Jul 3, 2008

As far as Disney is concerned, I'm more interested in how deep the catalog goes. I'm hoping to see more vintage stuff available.
              But I think the real key to all this will be original content. Disney is mentioning all sorts of Marvel shows, Star Wars, etc. Only a matter of time until they announce some major film is channel only. Say a Frozen sequel. An Iron Man movie. Indiana Jones 5. And then the Fox/ABC content and shows will be added and promoted.
              Netflix or Hulu will merge with CBS or NBC in order to compete. We'll end up with the big three networks again albeit in a streaming format. 10-15 years, broadcast tv/cable will be the niche programming we find on streaming today. It'll be somewhat like what happened when AM/FM flipped positions in the 80s.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

They've already mentioned some ABC and Fox shows beyond the Simpsons. Malcom in the Middle and The Middle entire runs will be there too for sure along with more recent shows that will be on Hulu and Disney+. The Mandalorian debuts with the channel and Captain Marvel starts streaming at the debut. All Star Wars movies except the current trilogy are on there from day one too. Guessing the last three will be added when complete.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I hope to finally get to see Dr. Syn alias the Scarecrow/The Scarecrow of Romeny Marsh since I missed out on the DVD set the two days Disney had it for sale, 10 years ago.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

Just saw this and posted it on another thread, but the WB Swamp Thing series has halted filming.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/...tion-cut-short
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

I’m not interested in stuff I’ve already seen a million times. Netflix has good new productions and original programming. I’ve enjoyed many shows like Stranger Things, Lost in Space, and Umbrella Academy.

But I’m sure Disney will do the same...and yes...a real threat to Netflix.

But offering repeats of Star Wars, Disney and Marvel movies, etc, is not my interest.
                      sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
                        Hot Child in the City
                        • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by drquest
                        Just saw this and posted it on another thread, but the WB Swamp Thing series has halted filming.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/...tion-cut-short
                        So it would seem that the DC app is faltering. Not surprised, they seemed to rush into it just to say they had one before Marvel. I expect to see it folded into a WB umbrella app first, later on a Netflix deal. If NF can't have Marvel I'll bet they take DC.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 11, 2013

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          I hope to finally get to see Dr. Syn alias the Scarecrow/The Scarecrow of Romeny Marsh since I missed out on the DVD set the two days Disney had it for sale, 10 years ago.

Chris
                          I own that and even remember watching it on tv back in the day. It was great and I wish they had done something else with it. I keep it with my League of Extraordinary shelf.
                          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

I think the DC Online was a test run since the comic book craze is out there, giving WB a chance to work on there own online site. I still believe that they will fold the DC Online into the WB Streaming. It makes since. I thought about signing up when the started but I have all the older works on DVD/Blu-Ray so why would I need that. Now that there original programming is getting released on DVD again why subscribe. But if one can get access to the vast collection of WB then I can get behind that.

Same goes for the Disney+. When I found out I was getting a nephew I bought all the Disney 90's cartoon DVD sets. I was disappointed that still some of them have not been released. I would get Disney+ for him so he can watch all of those 90's cartoons.
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

This isn't in Canada yet, but various Canadian cable/streaming services are picking up the shows, Titans is on Netflix (haven't watched it yet) and Space (Canadian version of Syfy) and Crave (kind of Canadian version of HBO, but we also have HBO) has Doom Patrol (which I'm only three episodes in, but am loving). I'm in no hurry for DC to start a Canadian version, because so far I can watch their shows on services that I already subscribe to.

Comment

• Leonardo Myst
                                • Apr 18, 2019

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                                So it would seem that the DC app is faltering. Not surprised, they seemed to rush into it just to say they had one before Marvel. I expect to see it folded into a WB umbrella app first, later on a Netflix deal. If NF can't have Marvel I'll bet they take DC.
                                They clarified this in the DC Universe forum.
                                It was due to Swamp Thing's production, and had nothing to do with the app.

Meanwhile, they are currently adding all the comics DC has digitized for Comixology to the DC Universe service. Once done, supposedly by the end of the month, they'll be adding any newly digitized classics and newer comics up to one year ago.

And Doom Patrol is doing pretty good. It'll probably be their defining series.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎