• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Doom Patrol!

I'm sure excited about this one!

In the series premiere episode, the team – tired of being stuck in Doom Manor – decides to visit the local town while The Chief is away. However, this seemingly harmless field trip leads to some grave consequences, including an encounter with the mysterious and powerful Mr. Nobody (series star ALAN TUDYK).

Doom Patrol stars Brendan Fraser as Cliff Steele/Robotman, Matt Bomer as Larry Trainor/Negative Man, April Bowlby as Rita Farr/Elasti-Woman, Diane Guerrero as Crazy Jane, and Alan Tudyk as Eric Morden/Mr. Nobody, Timothy Dalton as The Chief. Joivan Wade joins the cast as Cyborg in Episode 2.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 12, '19, 3:58 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

Dalton as The Chief? sounds like fun. Any idea what the rating is on this? It looks very influenced by the Morrison era Vertigo team.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Why Cyborg? Is he just going to be shoehorned into every DC team?
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        Why Cyborg? Is he just going to be shoehorned into every DC team?
        I've heard the plan was that he'd start out on the Doom Patrol, and wind up on The Titans next season. Not sure if that is rumour or if it has been substantiated

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by samurainoir
          I've heard the plan was that he'd start out on the Doom Patrol, and wind up on The Titans next season. Not sure if that is rumour or if it has been substantiated
          still makes no sense, what next Sea Devils?
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

still makes no sense, what next Sea Devils?
            It's not that ridiculous, the Titans series took Gar away really quickly so they probably needed a fill in. Pairing him with Cliff should lead to some interesting interplay. I have issue with him being a founding member of the Justice League too but I think he works here.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
              It's not that ridiculous, the Titans series took Gar away really quickly so they probably needed a fill in. Pairing him with Cliff should lead to some interesting interplay. I have issue with him being a founding member of the Justice League too but I think he works here.
              I don't see it. Does the team need two robot guys? Seems like there are plenty of other weirdo Doom Patrol members around that they didn't need the loaner Titan. Mento, Flex Mentallo (if that legal issue ever got cleared up), Lodestone, Karma, heck even Mal Duncan was a member for a minute or so.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, I'd have much rather had Vox included, than Cyborg.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

I don't see it. Does the team need two robot guys? Seems like there are plenty of other weirdo Doom Patrol members around that they didn't need the loaner Titan. Mento, Flex Mentallo (if that legal issue ever got cleared up), Lodestone, Karma, heck even Mal Duncan was a member for a minute or so.
                  I've honestly been wanting to see Cliff interact more with Cyborg ever since I read New Teen Titans as a kid, and they did the Hunt for the Doom Patrol arc. At the time there was a great character moment where Changeling revealed that his initial wariness of Cyborg (Before they become such close friends) was the fact that it brought up painful memories of Robotman and the other members of Doom Patrol (whom Gar thought were dead at the time IIRC?).

I think the whole point of the two Robot guys is the same kind of arc Cyborg had in Wolfman and Perez' New Teen Titans... he should stop feeling sorry for himself, because there are people worse off than him (Robotman). I'd imagine he'd also serves as an access character, a not quite entirely relatable "everyman" to allow for a great deal of exposition and reaction as we learn about the team and their weirdness through his POV in joining. (yeah, it is a trope, but it works because a team that has been together already knows each other and their shared history).

I'm a fan of both Cyborg and Doom Patrol, and I'm okay with this. Particularly since I become a huge Doom Patrol fan because of The New Teen Titans. If/When Cyborg jumps to Titans, it will give Beast Boy some commonaility to base their close friendship.

Also, you'll be happy to hear that there is an audition reel making the rounds on the internet of the guy they cast as Flex Mentallo. He seems dead=on to me.

Given how entertianing they made the Nuclear Family over in Titans, I say bring on the Sea Devils if they can find an interpretation that works. I'm a big fan of Geoff Johns' comics stuff, and he always manages to find interesting ties and connections to mine in that medium, and it appears that he's doing the same in Titans and now Doom Patrol TV shows.
                  Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 15, '19, 9:43 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I don't see it. Does the team need two robot guys?
                    I don't see the issue other than the aesthetic, from a story perspective a newly formed Cyborg would look to Cliff as a mentor and Cliff may be an unwilling one creating conflict between the two. It could make for an interesting character dynamic.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      Yes, I'd have much rather had Vox included, than Cyborg.
                      Given that Vox is Geoff Johns post-Infinite Crisis/52/One Year Later innovation, I actually think we stand a really good chance of seeing Mal and Bumblebee down the line. I always liked what little we saw of that iteration of the team and would have liked to have seen Geoff Johns follow up on them much more than he was able to.

I like Lodestone and Karma well enough, but I don't think they ever got the chance to fully develop as characters (Morrison considered using Karma in his series, but ultimately didn't, and he had Lodestone spend the entire time unconscious).

I have no doubt as well that they are planning on using Mento, but they have to hold back given that this season seems to be all about Mr Nobody.

For me, the characters I really want to see are Joshua Clay/Tempest, Val Vostok/Negative Woman, and Celsius/Arani Caulder. Given the fact that they seem to be following Morrison's run, and Titans has shown they love doing flashback episodes, I think I'm not going to be dissappointed. the idea of Chief's wife showing up is just too juicy.

Also, for those who have read the Grant Morrison run, do you think that they are going to go through like, a few seasons of the show before they do the big Niles Caulder reveal? Or do you think they are going right for that in the first season? You don't cast Timothy Dalton unless things are going to take a DARK turn.
                      Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 15, '19, 9:57 AM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Long Trailer. Full of spoilers. I'm All In on this one. This is like Christmas. Sweet, sweet, Christmas.

Alan Tudyk as Mr Nobody for the win.

Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 15, '19, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                          I don't see the issue other than the aesthetic, from a story perspective a newly formed Cyborg would look to Cliff as a mentor and Cliff may be an unwilling one creating conflict between the two. It could make for an interesting character dynamic.
                          That is a really great point.

You can't trust trailers too much these days, but having stopped and paused the latest one quite a bit, I think there is grounds to theorize that Doom Patrol might just be a stop-over for Cyborg. Titans had a core cast, but continually showcased other characters coming in and out of the show, including Hawk and Dove, Donna Troy, Jason Todd, and of course the Doom Patrol.

I see this like the Spider-Man joining the Avengers thing... remember how strongly fans reacted at the time to The New Avengers comic prior to release? Ultimately now that Spidey and Iron Man have proven such terrific chemistry on the big screen (The Cheers from the audience when Tony announced that Peter was an Avenger in Infinity War, and not a dry eye in the house during that finale), folks can see for themselves that it can work if done properly.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 3, 2009

watched it this afternoon ,i thought it was excellent

very cinematic ,great music choices ,never read a doom patrol comic ,but this drew me in straight away ,looking forward to seeing more

surprised at the nudity and cussing ,but felt natural and non forced ,to me anyway

and had ,if im not mistaken a albino donkey that farts messages :lol

thats got to be worth a watch

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 3, 2009

heres that audition tape

dont know the guy ,actor or character ,but some of you will

Brett Davis Flex Mentallo AUDITION TAPE

not sure if hes in doom patrol or titans ,could be both i guess

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎