X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Diamond Select Toys purchase Gentle Giant

We've received a new press release from our friends at Diamond Select Toys, dropping a major bombshell on the toy and collecting community. They have announced plans to buy a good portion of the assets of Gentle Giant, LTD. This includes all of their licenses (yes, even Star Wars), the manufacturing and distribution! They do...

For those that don't know, Diamond is pretty much the monopoly distributor into the network of comics stores across the United States and in many parts of the world (like Canada). DST is their in-house production company, up until now specializing in toys under $50 (often closer to $10-30 per).

Possible implications? Further diversifying of physical product that they produce themselves into the higher end marketplace. It's much tougher to move (ship/transport) expensive statues at retail. BUT there is a hard-core devoted adult collectors base with money to burn, and the per unit profit is much higher given the amount of physical comics they need to move to make the same profit on a single statue. Particularly as reader/collectors of floppy comics age-out and the younger readers are essentially headed to digital and physical comics that by pass the Direct Market Comic Shop.

These statues are also showing up in many surprising places outside of the comic show as well. Galleries/Shops that specialize in this kind of high end pop culture statues/collectibles of Star Wars and Superheroes etc seem to be popping up as mainstream culture (Thanks to cinema and TV, video games and animation) has thoroughly embraced the once niche realms. It is ironic, but there is likely a small growing class of Diamond retail account that doesn't purchase comics at all.

I think it is also a fact that the "Toy" market, at least in these venues is dominated entirely by Adult Collectors now, with income ranging from the casual purchase (their minimates figures), now up to statues priced at thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 12, '19, 3:42 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

From what i've culled, this was all about the Star Wars licenses GG held.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
      From what i've culled, this was all about the Star Wars licenses GG held.
      Oh wow, that totally makes sense. I wonder what kind of trickle down that will lead to with the other kinds or product categories that DST has, indlucing housewares and such.
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• SeattleEd
        SynthoRes Transmigrator
        • Oct 24, 2007

Interesting. Curious if they will continue the jumbo line. Was hoping they would do more Kenner prototype jumbo figures.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎