X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rykerw1701
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 27, 2007

Zolocon 2019

I went to a smallish toy/comic show in the suburban Philadelphia area called Zolocon this past weekend. It's about the only one I go to anymore. It was the 5th year of the show, which is saying something these days. Anyway, there was a fair amount of Mego and Remego. Most of the Mego prices were ebay++, with the usual finds like a beat-to-snot incomplete Superman someone thinks they're going to get $50 for. But there was quite of bit of new Mego figures from last year, all priced around the $20-$25 range. I don't know how much of was selling in that range, but it seemed to be where sellers were headed. About all I bought was a loose Mattel Remego Cheetah for $15 that I'll use to fix the '66 Batgirl. Oh and most of the Mattel stuff was $20-$25 loose as well, which I thought was a bit rich.
  • nazgul
    Lord of Light
    • May 2, 2011

I was there yesterday for a little while, interesting venue...but the prices on everything was a bit high...
    You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky

Comment

• rykerw1701
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by nazgul
      I was there yesterday for a little while, interesting venue...but the prices on everything was a bit high...

Yeah I agree. It's the fourth year I've gone and every other time I thought things were priced to sell. Not so much this past weekend. Part of that because a far greater proportion of the sellers were regular dealers that go show to show on weekends as opposed to guys trying to thin or sell off collections, which the show had more of in the past. Maybe there's been a big change in the table fee, I don't know.

But it's only $8 to get in and kids under 12 are free, so we all go and wander around and look at stuff. I don't really go looking for much anyway.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
        Career Member
        • Jun 8, 2015

what is the "best" comic con in Philly? Wizard? Something else??? Wanna go to Philly, cause I LOVE "It's Always Sunny..." and i know they dont really film it there,but I wanna do a trip and soak up the vibe and check out ANY collectible shops there around a time when there is a comic con going on. Any help is appreciated. CHEERS!

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
          what is the "best" comic con in Philly? Wizard? Something else??? Wanna go to Philly, cause I LOVE "It's Always Sunny..." and i know they dont really film it there,but I wanna do a trip and soak up the vibe and check out ANY collectible shops there around a time when there is a comic con going on. Any help is appreciated. CHEERS!
          I'd have to say the Wizard World Philadelphia is the best one. Next one is mid-June. A lot of guys come down from the NYC area because it's all too nuts up there. I've heard good things about the Great Philadelphia Comic Con in April, though I haven't been to it. It's much smaller than Wizard World. but more affordable. Its not right downtown though, as Wizard World is at the convention center. Keystone Comic Con is also at the downtown convention center, and it's in August. In terms of size, it's in between Wizard World and Great Philadelphia.

There's two comic shops in Philadelphia I really like. Fat Jacks on Sansom Street and Atomic City Comics on South Street. South Street is one of the more outrageous parts of the city. Very fun, very eclectic, and I'd go there on a tour even without the comic shop. Get a Philly Cheesesteak "wit" at Jim's Steaks nearby while you're on South Street, just don't get any juice on your new comics.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
            Career Member
            • Jun 8, 2015

Thanks, Ryker, so it's between Wizard, Great Philly con, and Keystone. Which one has more Golden age dealers in your opinon?

Thanks for the heads up on the shops, are they any toy collectible shops?

does the TV show give a the city a bad rap? Or do people laff it off?

Comment

• rykerw1701
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
              Thanks, Ryker, so it's between Wizard, Great Philly con, and Keystone. Which one has more Golden age dealers in your opinon?

Thanks for the heads up on the shops, are they any toy collectible shops?

does the TV show give a the city a bad rap? Or do people laff it off?
              I don't really watch the show much, but it wouldn't be much fun if they painted the city is a overly romanticized fashion. It certainly has maintained much of its blue collar grittiness, but it's evolved greatly into much more of a cosmopolitan hub just in the 25 years or so I've been here. Of course, there are areas of it that are pure hell, just like most other major metro areas. I actually hear more people talk about "The Goldbergs" than "It's Always Sunny."

It's hit or miss with which show will have more Golden Age comics, because who knows which dealers will show up. The smart money would be on the biggest show, Wizard World, just because it's the biggest show. Maybe the various websites will have dealer info.

I know of a good collectible toy shop in the NJ burbs of Philly called "Play with This" but nothing downtown.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎