X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by hedrap
    Have any of you actually looked into what goes on with donation companies? The stuff gets picked through at the dropoff by the owners/employees/friends and they keep the good to sell it themselves.
    Still a better choice. At least the seller would make some money off them, and someone else would get pleasure out of them.

Originally posted by hedrap
    You would have to personally hand out bags of figures directly to kids.
    What an excellent idea! The world would be a better place, wouldn't it?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

I found it fascinating. The torso plastic melts better than the arms and legs.

I'll say this: donating toys or giving them to kids is no way to make a viral video.
      Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Feb 11, '19, 1:47 PM.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

It's a self-declared fanboy parody stunt [sic], ok, but it's pretty shallow and the real let down is the optics. Turning figures into a semi-melted gray soup [we executed much more inspirational toy mayhem in the 70s/80s to test the integrity of such objects], eehhhh… not really inspiring, funny, clever, or making me [anyone?] want to watch any more of their content.

I'm clearly out of touch with what drives people to care about anything in the information age of sensational [self-gratifiying viral attention-seeking] behavior… to quote a maestro, "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"
        Last edited by Confessional; Feb 11, '19, 1:56 PM. Reason: … now, firecrackers, WD-40 and some handtools can make a *statement*

Comment

• danadoll
          Micronaut Nut!
          • Apr 11, 2005

WTAF!?
          "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• jimbutsu
            Memory *is* RAM!
            • Apr 11, 2002

It's done for yuks - with how many of those things got made, and the fact that I didn't see a single accessory or uncommon figure in all those shots, this doens't move the needle one bit.

I think I have three Lobots and his blaster is worth more than the figure.
            "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Many Star Wars collectors lose their s**t when they hear about someone removing a figure from a trashed card, what would they think of this? Dude will be lucky if the Star Wars collecting illuminati doesn't issue a fatwa on him!

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

To be fair there are literally MILLIONS of those played-with condition Star Wars toys. 2,000 or so being destroyed is just the tiniest drop in the bucket given how many of those things you see in personal collections and in piles/buckets at toy shows.

Also I honestly think there are very few kids out there that would have much interest in action figures at all, let alone a strangers old used played with figure. Most of the kids in my life haven't show much interest in action figures at all, preferring Lego and Tablets as their playthings. Given the BILLIONS of Star Wars shovelled out there in the past forty years, why would you give a forty year old used figure to say, a Christmas toy drive rather than going to the dollar store and buying a brand new in package Star Wars Action figure for 3-4 bucks?

Honestly, the only people who covet those old 40+ year old beaters are 40+ year old men in general. (yes, they made a point out of panning across some that are in better condition, but who are we kidding, that was just for show). If anyone younger wants them, it's not like there are millions more out there in collections or in the hands of dealers. You might as well tell the folks hoarding them to donate them as well.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I'm not truly upset about this--I'm not sentimental about nor a fan of Star Wars any longer. But something about it is grotesque to me, it gives me a pang by association for the toys I've loved. When I think of the Mego parts and accessories that I've sorted and saved over the decades, I can't imaging doing something this destructive to them out of spite or irony.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

even if they are only worth a buck a piece, that is still over 2 grand that he just flushed. for what? cheap thrills?

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

What you don't see is his complete set of AFA Graded 12 Backs he keeps in a shrine inside a climate controlled vault.

It is a cheap trigger to melt some weaponless beaters. Burn your carded Vinyl Caped Jawa and let's talk.

This guy is probably so excited about the attention he's getting, he probably can't sleep for more than an hour without checking his comments.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                        even if they are only worth a buck a piece, that is still over 2 grand that he just flushed. for what? cheap thrills?
                        Nope. They make ad revenue money on their Youtube Channel. The more hits they get, the more money they make. Inside of 24 hours they are already closing in on half a million eyeballs. 462,402 views so far. If I were to hazard a guess, they had a spike in viewership on their original video where they melted a handful of vintage figure, and that spurred them on to pull this stunt. Bascially anyone who watches this video is putting money in their pocket.

I don't know what youtube revenue is like on that amount of views, but I'd guess in the long run it might be money well spent for them as long as it contines to drive traffic and bring attention to their channel?
                        Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 12, '19, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Not sure how accurate this is, but here's what I found when I googled.

Answer (1 of 983): Guiding the labyrinth of YouTube earnings, the compensation for content creators hinges on a multitude of variables, chiefly the number of views accrued by their videos. Delving into the comparative dimensions of remuneration for various view thresholds provides insight into th...

"It depends on their RPM or rate per thousand views, the average RPM is about $2. This means that a YouTuber might make around $1,000 from a video with 500,000 views. Now we are at a key figure that really affects revenue directly. Advertisers can opt for different ad formats on YouTube ."

Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 12, '19, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

They also have a Patreon with 6,304 subscribers a month. That means that at minimum ($2), they get $12,608 a month, and likely much more than that (depending on how many top out at $15 a month) to make youtube videos, in addition to their ad revenue.

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

They have a separate video production company that does corporate work. RLM's income covers its own costs. Even if they drop 3k for loose figures, it's a company expense.

Comment

• Djin
                                • Feb 12, 2019

It's hard to believe!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍