X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Marvel True Believers #1s

Have any of you been picking these up? I had some time to kill and stopped by a Comics Shop this morning and saw a bunch of these $1 reprints from Marvel. I got all of the Kirby ones they put out for his 100th Birthday, but I haven't been to a shop in a long time and had no idea they were putting out a whole slew of reprints of key issues. I bought 32 different books for $32 and they all appear to have printing dates of late 2018 to the present. There were multiple issues of Fantastic Four, Conan, Marvel What If?, and assorted Iron Fist, Power Man, Hellcat, etc. I have never bought that many new comics in one pick! It was what I imagined it would be like, as a kid, to have an entire $10 bill to blow on comics back when they were a Quarter. (Something I never got to do as a kid)

I have no idea how many titles there are available or how long they have been selling this line or how long Marvel plans to roll theses out. Are any of you buying these or otherwise up to speed on what's out there and how long this will go on?
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

I grab as many of them as my comic book store has left when I go in. They sell out really quick.
    The most recent ones I got were the two Ms. Marvel reprints last week and a few of the recent Conan ones.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

As I posted in the other thread out mentioned the Conan ones, I picked up all the Conan issues. They've been doing these True Believer issues for a while (there were a slew of them released featuring Deadpool to coincide with the release of the first Deadpool movie, so for at least that long), and there are more planned to coincide with the release of the Captain Marvel movie later this winter and a bunch of Avengers ones set to be released around the time Avengers: Endgame comes out.

A couple of the shops in my area keep a stock of these displayed in a spinner rack, one prominently standing right next to the main entrance into the shop.

Marvel uses these to promote films, events, special occasions (like the Kirby 100th Birthday ones), has been doing them for a few years, and doesn't show any sign of slowing down on them. Most of them contain ads for omnibus where you can get more of that particular series and ads for Marvel Unlimited where you can access more of the issues. These are essentially ads they get customers to pay for, so I don't see them discontinuing them unless they stop leading to sales of bigger trades and subscriptions to the digital service, or as long as shops continue to order and stock them.

Personally, I'd love to see Marvel have these for sale at concession stands at movie theatres when the movies are released to expose more people to comics who might never set foot in a comic shop even though the love going to Marvel movies.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Obi
        • Feb 1, 2010

Echoing what MRP said - there is always some kind of cross promotion associated with the books they choose. But where else can you get a copy/version of Incredible Hulk #181 for $1.00?

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Obi
          Echoing what MRP said - there is always some kind of cross promotion associated with the books they choose. But where else can you get a copy/version of Incredible Hulk #181 for $1.00?
          Thanks to all for the info! It clued me in to match the back covers, as they seem to be an indicator of what was released in series.

Regarding Incredible Hulk #181: I got a reprint of Amazing Spider-Man #129 in the batch I snagged yesterday. In the early 2000s I bought many of the DVD-ROMs released by GitCorp, so I have been able to "on-screen" read a bunch of Marvel Titles for years, but I am the tactile-type and this line of comics is making me very happy. I have largely ditched buying comics in the last few years, but I'll snag these things as long as they make them!

Comment

• Obi
            • Feb 1, 2010

I have also struggled to embrace digital comics. I have a number on a tablet and it's great for travel but I much prefer turning real pages. Image Comics also does $1 reprints of many of their #1 issues which is a good way to introduce yourself to their works. I have found myself buying more and more trade paperbacks to get complete story arcs.

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

I buy a mix of floppies, trades and digital (well I don't buy digital comics, but I have Marvel Unlimited, DC Universe and our library has Hoopla giving me access to a ton of digital comics and trades for free). I don't mind paying for access to a digital library (like I do for tv and movies with Netflix, etc.) as a subscription service, but I just don't like buying digital editions of media in any form. My preference for stuff I want to keep is in trade, I buy single issues of stuff I want to support (small press, creator-owned, or stuff I want to see continue being published or see more of that type being published, and to support the guys at my local shop. I buy a good chunk of the True Believers stuff for those reasons as well, to support the effort, to see more stuff like it released, etc. I use digital to read stuff or sample stuff I might not otherwise get and if something really strikes my fancy, I will make a point of getting it in trade. But I was an early adopter of trades-as a kid I preferred books like Son of Origins, the Marvel Pocket Books and the DC Tempo Book collections to single comics because you got more to read and they held up to multiple readings better. I started buying trades with Dark Knight Returns after having gotten the books as singles when it came out and the first Warner Books edition trade as soon as it was available, was buying Marvel Masterworks with their initial release in the mid-late 80s, got the first collection of Watchmen that was a Science Fiction Book Club exclusive long before it was released to the mass market as a trade, etc. so my preference for trades over single comics is not a new thing for me. But then I have never seen the singles as the originals, just mass produced copies of the original art made available for sale, just live any other reproduction of the originals made for sale.

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Obi
                • Feb 1, 2010

Supporting the local shop is key. They treat me great and I give them cash money for stories with art every week.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I love these things. I always grab a couple every time I'm at my LCS.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• VintageMike
                    Permanent Member
                    • Dec 16, 2004

I think they are great but have only picked up select ones. Reason being, there's alot of crossover with what I already own. But anything I didn't have and wanted, I'm inclined to pick up. They've also relaunched Marvel Tales It's on the pricey side ($7.99) I believe 4-6 classic stories. They are focusing a different character each time. I bought the Fantastic Four one and the newest one featuring Black Widow. Skipped Venom due to having all the issue contained in it.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎