X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Treadwell
    Museum Super Collector
    • Dec 31, 2018

70s Gorn from scratch

2018 Screaming Werewolf body, vintage shirt, CVT Ape pants, CVT boots (which are pretty terrible).

Would it be sacrilegious to paint a perfectly good vintage Lizard head brown?

Last edited by Treadwell; Feb 8, '19, 6:02 PM.
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

Painting the head brown is not the only issue, you would also have to cut off the neck plug piece and I am not sure
    If the original heads would fit properly on these new Mego bodies? Has anyone cut off the original neck plugs
    and fit the head on these bodies?

I'm guessing it would be a struggle and a very tight fit it works.

Comment

• Treadwell
      Museum Super Collector
      • Dec 31, 2018

I've heard of both of those things being done successfully.
      I'll be removing the 2018 neck post and widening the hole until the vintage plug fits. It won't be pretty but the clothes will hide it.

Comment

• Treadwell
        Museum Super Collector
        • Dec 31, 2018

Boring a new neck hole turned out fine.
        I'll leave him green for now. Maybe paint in the future.

Comment

• comicmike
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 22, 2009

That's really beautiful. Great job you have done here.

I'm curious what are your plans for the leftover werewolf head & feet

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

That did come out nicely, no issues with removing the neck plug or struggling to put the head on?
            Now that the head is on, I guess you could paint it brown if you choose too, but the green really
            seems to be eye catching.

Comment

• Treadwell
              Museum Super Collector
              • Dec 31, 2018

No issues!

Comment

• Treadwell
                Museum Super Collector
                • Dec 31, 2018

Originally posted by comicmike
                I'm curious what are your plans for the leftover werewolf head & feet
                They are available for sale or trade! Clothes, too.

Comment

• knight errant00
                  8 Inch Action Figure
                  • Nov 15, 2005

What I've been curious to try is what I theorize might have been Mego's initial intent on the Gorn, which I think ended up running afoul of some further cost-cutting and bet hedging.

Essentially, I think what they may have started with was to take the Lizard (still green) and dress him in a modded Klingon or Apes outfit, with with brown vinyl tunic but the fabric in green. That would have yielded a somewhat screen accurate Gorn using stuff they had lying tooling and patterns for, and requiring only the green-for-brown fabric swap in the sewing phase.

My guess is then they decided to use the existing costumes and brown bodies and just make a run of Lizard heads in brown, so if the figure really tanked, they could swap the heads off sell them as apes.

I've always wanted to try to make a Gorn this way, but I lack the sewing skills to stitch up the green and brown costume.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^ I like the idea of a Mego Gorn in Galen green with a bit of printing on the pleather tunic. I don't mind the reuse of the lizard mold.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Treadwell
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Dec 31, 2018

Plausible theory!
                      The tunic isn't a reuse of an existing Apes one, though....just very similar, modifying the production procedure of the Apes suits much as you describe.

I do wonder if there were any transitional Gorns, using remaining stock of Lizard heads painted brown. (This is me grasping for repaint legitimacy)

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Regarding painting--I dye heads sometimes to tint them. You could tint the green head with brown dye and get a nice olive color, or go darker for a brown. Much quicker and more durable than painting. It will not affect the paint.

If you don't like it, you can always paint it.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Treadwell
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Dec 31, 2018

Interesting, I shall consider it (as Mirror Spock said)!

Meanwhile, there's always Photoshop:

jealous-kirk-sm.jpg
                          Last edited by Treadwell; Feb 10, '19, 2:45 PM.

Comment

• knight errant00
                            8 Inch Action Figure
                            • Nov 15, 2005

Well, I can't sew but I can do so-so photoshop -- Here's how I think Mego may have started on the figure, then realized it would be easier/safer just to do brown heads and use more existing/reusable parts.

Theoretical Gorn_sm.jpg
                            Last edited by knight errant00; Feb 10, '19, 5:12 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

It's just a guess mind you, but....could it have been possible that the Neptunian was supposed to start out as the Gorn
                              and it just somehow got lost in the mixture and wasn't working to their likening?

and then they went with the Lizard head, but did not want to have two different characters with the same head, could
                              cause confusion for children, and with so many extra ape soldiers bodies and extra Klingon outfits and boots decided
                              to just go with a kitbash figure, with a brown painted Lizard head.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎