Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Registration is open for Mego Meet 15 - June 14th-15th, 2019 in scenic Columbus, Ohio

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justzeg18
    Career Member
    • May 5, 2003

Originally posted by Random Axe
    Not sure if serious, but I've downloaded the vendor license application for OHIO. Is this really a step we need to take this year? If so, I can save everyone some searches for the business NAICS code, its 423920, toys and hobby.
    I was leaning more towards 453310 used merchandise stores. “This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in retailing used merchandise, antiques, and secondhand goods”
    Seems to fit what I do pretty dead on.
    Last edited by justzeg18; Feb 8, '19, 7:58 PM. Reason: Unfinished.

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

registered for 2 tables and entry. I'll book room soon. Gonna stay Thurs night too so we can help set up as needed, go to custom dinner and be ready to set up and use the pool Friday.

as far as vendor licenses go:

If you are making casual sales of your stuff, you do not need to collect tax. I don't know if having a dealer table changes your status from casual seller. I personally sell stuff once a year, and it was my own personal stuff originally purchased with intent to make a profit. (most items sold at a loss)

If you are making retail sales t a convention or festival, generally the state requires tax to be collected.
      You can get a permanent $25 vendor's permit here:

Most people who do not make a living at conventions do not collect and remit tax. I am not giving you legal tax information. I am merely stating an observation.

added: the hotel may have a policy stating vendor's must be registered an collect applicable sales tax. a disclaimer that fulfills their requirement as a venue.
      Last edited by Brue; Feb 8, '19, 9:02 PM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

I am not a CPA, but I slept at a Super 8 last night.

I'm getting a lot of questions about the vendor license issue. When we were in Wheeling, EVERYTHING was run through Kruger Street. What little bit of money was left after expenses they gave to us, and that money combined with the raffle was what kept this place afloat. It wasn't much, but it didn't matter because our overhead wasn't much. There wasn't a lot to be concerned about having a toy flea market and raffle in a basement outside of Wheeling. When we moved to Skokie, we were the Aw Yeah Comics Mego Meet. Things were probably a little more tenuous there legally, but Aw Yeah is licensed and we were pretty much off the radar. Now we're hitting our fifteenth meet, and we have bona fide dealers and attendees coming from all over the country. EVERYTHING is running through me/the museum now - registration, the door, tables, the auction, contracts. I have a legal obligation to do things the right way. If ODoT makes a sweep and things aren't in order, they can and will shut down individual tables or the entire show. I haven't seen it happen personally, but I have heard of it happening and have been assured that is DOES happen.

Opinion mode: Brue makes a great point. I look at this as a spectrum with two ends. On one, there are the Ed Taubes, Mark Huckabones, Greg Masons, Dr. Megos etc. These are dealers who sell all over the country, and I have little doubt that they are required to have some kind of documentation. On the other end is someone like Brue, who lives up the street and runs his table like a yard sale - at one point I think he paid me to take something off his hands. I would think Chad and Sean fall here too. They show off the 3D printer, and maybe sell a head or part here or there. Guys like Darklord and Grimjohn who are there showcasing their awesome, elaborate displays aren't even in the conversation. Then there are the gray areas. Random Noir probably should have a license; John Farley who displays his customs and may or may not sell a figure or two probably doesn't. Maybe. I don't know where many of you are in relation to the being considered a toy collector vs. a toy dealer or both. I figured out where I fall by doing a Google search and doing a little reading.

Transparency mode: It was easy for me to take the reigns from Dave and run a Mego meet out of Wheeling. I never had any designs or desires to run a toy show or convention, but that is what this has turned into to accommodate the majority. There are a lot of great things that have evolved but it comes at a price. There's a helluva lot more work involved for the museum, and at least for some of you it's not as simple as loading up and driving to Wheeling anymore. The upside is left hand turns, wi-fi, Marty Abrams, and indoor plumbing. The downside is no more church ladies with their delicious chicken sandwiches, no Kruger Street intercom, and the casual camaraderie of a bunch of adults sweating over old toys in a basement isn't possible. So if you're bringing a few tables full of FTC, Mego, and other vintage items to sell you probably should look into getting a license.

Comment

• Random Axe
          The Voice of Reason
          • Apr 16, 2008

I'm down for licensing and will send the application this week. We'll see how fast they respond and I'll let everyone know I guess.
          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

More transparency mode: I really wanted to be more educated on this, but Brian and I both were getting pushed to open registration and I would have preferred to wait a little longer. some of you kids are relentless.

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

all good points.
              I have a couple items I am planning to bring - if they sell, they sell, if not, I am not sweating it....or the MegoSuite will be one helluva happening place this year haha.

I don't want to cause the boards any grief by not getting the license - I don't know what it entails, what it costs, what it means on my taxes, but dang - if I have to get a CPA to figure out taxes on five Pennywise action figure one-of-a-kind customs...well, I am going to charge/write-off hollywood-rate production costs for the design, the seamstress work, the manufacture and declare a financial loss.....all for a figure that is a bootleg at the end of the day. Even at $175 per figure I am going to break even ($100 per in just the suit alone and that's no lie. Wait till I unveil it!). We don't do it for the money, we do it to have a keepsake from one of our brothers or sisters. Mego Meet is not like other toy shows....

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

it is not too complicated to get. it costs $25. It does not need renewed annually. I actually have a vendor's license for my business. i could present it if asked. if someone intends to claim sales they should collect 7.5% on sales and remit to ohio dept tax.

vendors license and sales tax remit on https://gateway.ohio.gov/wps/portal/...ssGateway/Home

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                  Permanent Member
                  • Mar 7, 2011

If I read them correctly those of us coming from outside of Ohio would fall under the UT 1000 application which is free... Someone correct me if I’m wrong

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                    If I read them correctly those of us coming from outside of Ohio would fall under the UT 1000 application which is free... Someone correct me if I’m wrong
                    transient vendor is still $25. The vendor license is the small cost and minor headache. the bigger issue is collecting and remitting sales tax.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                      Home Of The Type3 Body
                      • Jan 18, 2005

Type3Toys is booked.
                      LOOK
                      Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                      For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                      To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                        Permanent Member
                        • Mar 7, 2011

Originally posted by Brue
                        transient vendor is still $25. The vendor license is the small cost and minor headache. the bigger issue is collecting and remitting sales tax.
                        So any reporting of sales is Done via the honor system??? Is it safe to assume that?

Comment

• VintageMike
                          Permanent Member
                          • Dec 16, 2004

On a different note (if anyone cares, lol). I've made the final decision to fly in this year. I'd love to to display some of my collection and I know some people would like to see it. But after last year's calamity driving, playing it safe this year wins out. Also with the show growing larger (it's not just us anymore) I'm not going to feel comfortable leaving a table with thousands of $ of WGSH unattended. Also don't want to field unsolicated offers. Hopefully no one takes offense to that. But I know how difficult it is for a collector to see something you want right in front on you and not at least make an offer. No best way to deal with that is avoid it all together.

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

So any reporting of sales is Done via the honor system??? Is it safe to assume that?
                            exactly!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                                Permanent Member
                                • Mar 7, 2011

Originally posted by Brue
                                exactly!
                                Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                                Well Suffice to say as someone born and raised in the streets of the Bronx I have never attended any Boy Scout Meetings... and No Background checks!!! lol

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎