Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Registration is open for Mego Meet 15 - June 14th-15th, 2019 in scenic Columbus, Ohio

Images
    Got a table, room, flight and car.

Hotel is booked for myself and The Boy.
    Gotta discuss with council first regarding the State of Ohio vendor license procurement... ;-)

Not sure if serious, but I've downloaded the vendor license application for OHIO. Is this really a step we need to take this year? If so, I can save everyone some searches for the business NAICS code, its 423920, toys and hobby.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Registered and booked, huzzah!
    WANTED:Grayson SI trousers; Dale Arden dagger; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Axe View Post
    Not sure if serious, but I've downloaded the vendor license application for OHIO. Is this really a step we need to take this year? If so, I can save everyone some searches for the business NAICS code, its 423920, toys and hobby.
    Next year, Mego Meet Oregon == no sales tax

Quote Originally Posted by Random Axe View Post
    I was leaning more towards 453310 used merchandise stores. “This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in retailing used merchandise, antiques, and secondhand goods”
    Seems to fit what I do pretty dead on.
    Last edited by justzeg18; Feb 8, '19 at 7:58 PM. Reason: Unfinished.

Images
    registered for 2 tables and entry. I'll book room soon. Gonna stay Thurs night too so we can help set up as needed, go to custom dinner and be ready to set up and use the pool Friday.

as far as vendor licenses go:

If you are making casual sales of your stuff, you do not need to collect tax. I don't know if having a dealer table changes your status from casual seller. I personally sell stuff once a year, and it was my own personal stuff originally purchased with intent to make a profit. (most items sold at a loss)
    https://www.tax.ohio.gov/taxeducatio...our_stuff.aspx

If you are making retail sales t a convention or festival, generally the state requires tax to be collected.
    You can get a permanent $25 vendor's permit here:
    https://gateway.ohio.gov/wps/portal/...ssGateway/Home

Most people who do not make a living at conventions do not collect and remit tax. I am not giving you legal tax information. I am merely stating an observation.

added: the hotel may have a policy stating vendor's must be registered an collect applicable sales tax. a disclaimer that fulfills their requirement as a venue.
    Last edited by Brue; Feb 8, '19 at 9:02 PM.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I am not a CPA, but I slept at a Super 8 last night.

I'm getting a lot of questions about the vendor license issue. When we were in Wheeling, EVERYTHING was run through Kruger Street. What little bit of money was left after expenses they gave to us, and that money combined with the raffle was what kept this place afloat. It wasn't much, but it didn't matter because our overhead wasn't much. There wasn't a lot to be concerned about having a toy flea market and raffle in a basement outside of Wheeling. When we moved to Skokie, we were the Aw Yeah Comics Mego Meet. Things were probably a little more tenuous there legally, but Aw Yeah is licensed and we were pretty much off the radar. Now we're hitting our fifteenth meet, and we have bona fide dealers and attendees coming from all over the country. EVERYTHING is running through me/the museum now - registration, the door, tables, the auction, contracts. I have a legal obligation to do things the right way. If ODoT makes a sweep and things aren't in order, they can and will shut down individual tables or the entire show. I haven't seen it happen personally, but I have heard of it happening and have been assured that is DOES happen.

Opinion mode: Brue makes a great point. I look at this as a spectrum with two ends. On one, there are the Ed Taubes, Mark Huckabones, Greg Masons, Dr. Megos etc. These are dealers who sell all over the country, and I have little doubt that they are required to have some kind of documentation. On the other end is someone like Brue, who lives up the street and runs his table like a yard sale - at one point I think he paid me to take something off his hands. I would think Chad and Sean fall here too. They show off the 3D printer, and maybe sell a head or part here or there. Guys like Darklord and Grimjohn who are there showcasing their awesome, elaborate displays aren't even in the conversation. Then there are the gray areas. Random Noir probably should have a license; John Farley who displays his customs and may or may not sell a figure or two probably doesn't. Maybe. I don't know where many of you are in relation to the being considered a toy collector vs. a toy dealer or both. I figured out where I fall by doing a Google search and doing a little reading.

Transparency mode: It was easy for me to take the reigns from Dave and run a Mego meet out of Wheeling. I never had any designs or desires to run a toy show or convention, but that is what this has turned into to accommodate the majority. There are a lot of great things that have evolved but it comes at a price. There's a helluva lot more work involved for the museum, and at least for some of you it's not as simple as loading up and driving to Wheeling anymore. The upside is left hand turns, wi-fi, Marty Abrams, and indoor plumbing. The downside is no more church ladies with their delicious chicken sandwiches, no Kruger Street intercom, and the casual camaraderie of a bunch of adults sweating over old toys in a basement isn't possible. So if you're bringing a few tables full of FTC, Mego, and other vintage items to sell you probably should look into getting a license.

I'm down for licensing and will send the application this week. We'll see how fast they respond and I'll let everyone know I guess.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Images
    Blog Entries
    More transparency mode: I really wanted to be more educated on this, but Brian and I both were getting pushed to open registration and I would have preferred to wait a little longer. some of you kids are relentless.