X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

Question on Star Trek TOS Season 3

I have been rewatching the original series, in order on disc. Shatner always had a gut he was sucking in, but I notice in season 3 when they changed shirt material, he looks thinner. Looks like he is wearing a girdle.

what do you think? is he wearing a girdle? has that fact ever been mentioned?(probably)
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Nimoy said that Shatner was always in shape when the seasons started filming but struggled with his weight as as shooting progressed and schedules became tighter.

I think the season-three synthetic shirts are more flattering, but I've never heard about a girdle.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Treadwell
      Museum Super Collector
      • Dec 31, 2018

Wouldn't be surprised. He has claimed that he'd diet and exercise during hiatus, so that could account for it. He said he'd start slacking off once the new season began, and then he'd see the results in an episode, and return to discipline halfway through a season. I've never paid attention to production order Kirk gut to see if that pans out, though.

But the new tunics were bigger and a little more forgiving, and didn't shrink like the old ones. The sleeves weren't really supposed to end three inches above the wrist.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Yvonne Craig mentioned in Starlog about accidentally removing Shatner's hairpiece during their scenes together, she went on to talk about his girdle. I don't think Yvonne liked William Shatner.

That's season 3 BTW.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Apparently, memos were circulated between Gene Roddenberry, Ed Milkis, Fred Freiberger and Bob Justman about the problem of Shatner's weight at the start of season 3.
          They invited Shatner to view dailies shortly after shooting commenced, and as soon as he saw the footage, he immediately went on a crash diet.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

if you watch closely it looks like has he has a girdle on in some scenes. there is a line just above his diaphragm to indicate it

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I think I've always paid more attention to Kirk's hair than his girth.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I think I've always paid more attention to Kirk's hair than his girth.
                I find myself paying attention to that too, LOL. he seems to have more hair, definitely more sideburn, in S3

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I don't think Yvonne liked William Shatner.
                  that seems to be a common feeling among those who worked with him

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

The change to the shinier satiny shirt material in season 3 was not flattering to Shat.

When doing action scenes the shirts tended to bunch up but not release their wrinkles unless you physically pulled them down.

A great example of this problem is seen multiple times in Day of the Dove where Kirk's shirt has wrinkles every time he moves.

Makes him look extra chubby and dumpy

Comment

• MysteryWho
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2008

He seemed to struggle with his gut throughout the whole series. And the third season shirts may have been less forgiving because they were longer and didn't shrink like the velour ones had. He probably had to wear a girdle at some point. He otherwise appeared in good shape physically, as the show went on it's apparent he did much more of his own stunts.

Comment

• Treadwell
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Dec 31, 2018

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                        I find myself paying attention to that too, LOL. he seems to have more hair, definitely more sideburn, in S3
                        Scotty, too. The 70s were calling!

Comment

• Treadwell
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Dec 31, 2018

(or should I bring it back to Mego and spell it "Scottie"? )

Comment

• LordMudd
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 22, 2011

I have heard the story that e had 2 hair pieces each season and that 1 would disappear each season. The implication was that someone on the set was stealing them, but it is possible that he was taking them.

CCC.

Comment

• Treadwell
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Dec 31, 2018

Originally posted by LordMudd
                              I have heard the story that e had 2 hair pieces each season and that 1 would disappear each season. The implication was that someone on the set was stealing them, but it is possible that he was taking them.
                              voila
                              wigs-791x1024.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎