Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone get the Gold Cylon Mailer as a kid?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Did anyone get the Gold Cylon Mailer as a kid?

My friend John sent me an email the other day asking me about this, one of his "holy grails". He claims he sent away for this as a kid but a got a Hot Wheels car and an apology. Since then he's been looking for one in the mailer box to fill that void (i can relate to that) but it's never come up.

When I started thinking about I realized I've seen them carded and of course loose but in all my years I've never come across one in the mailer box.

So question to you all is, did you or do you have a gold Cylon in the mailer box?

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

That's really interesting. I honestly do not remember how I got mine and I also don't remember if I've ever seen one in a single mailer box. Weird.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I have one person who confirms they got it in the mail thus far. Another guy thinks he got it that way, I'll put him in the "maybe" pile.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

I did. I only got 4 of the figures as a gift (Starbuck, 2 Cylons and the green insect alien), but mailed away for the gold Cylon (that and Boba Fett were the only mail-aways my parents ever let me get). I remember finding out we were moving out of state a few weeks after I sent away for it and sweating out whether it would arrive before we moved.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Timothy2251
          Jerks beef with Ten Bears
          • Mar 15, 2008

Definitely got one in the mail when I was a kid. Had two silver Cylons, the Ovion, and Starbuck and Adama, and had an extra comic book with the ad in it. Sent away and 4-6 weeks later, a white mailer box with this golden hunk of Cylon showed up. Lord, I still wish I had all those figures.
          "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

No, never had one, but it is awesome!

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

I remember seeing that ad in comics and wanting a gold Cylon so bad. Alas, I only had bought three BSG figures at that point. I honestly don't recall anyone getting one of these in the mail (was the offer available in Canada too?) but the BSG toy fad didn't seem to last too long in our neighborhood.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 27, 2010

never did but certainly remember the ad.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Probably not many went out because I just don't think these had the numbers that Kenner did with Star Wars. Only 6 figures were made, and you had to save proofs from 4 of them. I think I had 3 of the figures as a kid, and the packaging was long discarded.

I have all the figures loose now...

Except the Gold Cylon.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

I remember seeing that offer in the comics and really wanting the gold Cylon!
                    But I never did send away for it... Not sure if that offer would have been valid for Canadian residents, anyway.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Another thing to consider... A lot of multi-figure packs were sold. I know that's how I got some of mine. So I didn't have 4 individual cards with proof of purchase on them. Even though I may have had the figures, because it was a multi-pack, I couldn't send away even if I'd kept the packaging.

Comment

• Riderfan
                        Megos are cool
                        • Feb 14, 2012

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        I remember seeing that ad in comics and wanting a gold Cylon so bad. Alas, I only had bought three BSG figures at that point. I honestly don't recall anyone getting one of these in the mail (was the offer available in Canada too?) but the BSG toy fad didn't seem to last too long in our neighborhood.
                        Yup the offer was available in Canada-pretty sure I (or my mom) cut off the mail in part from the inside cover of a Spiderman comic. I still got a couple gold Cylons packed away somewhere.

Originally posted by Hedji
                        Probably not many went out because I just don't think these had the numbers that Kenner did with Star Wars. Only 6 figures were made, and you had to save proofs from 4 of them. I think I had 3 of the figures as a kid, and the packaging was long discarded.

I have all the figures loose now...

Except the Gold Cylon.
                        Actually there were 10 figures in total. After the mail in offer I'm pretty sure the gold Cylon was part of wave 2, along with Lucifer, Baltar & Boray. I think these were pretty rare, and don't think they were ever sold in Canada.
                        I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                          To Fear is Not Logical...
                          • Feb 17, 2008

I mailed away. I loved the art on the cards, so I kept them. I had 2 silver cylons, imperious leader, Starbuck, Adams, and a tan daggit. I got an extra Hulk comic to cut up that cover. Hated cutting the backer cards and mailed away. I remember specifically what it came in, cause it was so surprising to me. 12 yr old me thought they would send the figure on a card in some sort of package. What I got was a brown padded envelope with my address and a return address to Mattel. I remember because my mom knew to look for it. We lived in an apartment and packages came to the front desk. It came in our mailbox. Nothing else, just the figure. I eventually also got Baltar and Lucifer, too. Or I should say my mom got them for me as a gift. There were two toy stores near us and she told me that at the first one she went to (which was locally owned)...she asked a guy working there if they had them and his response to her was "The show is cancelled, lady!" :D I'm not sure she ever went back to that store any more.
                          It's all good!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎