Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mego Corporation Announces Licensing Agreement with Stan Lee’s POW! Entertainment

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mego Corporation Announces Licensing Agreement with Stan Lee’s POW! Entertainment

Legendary toy creator partners with Stan Lee’s POW! Entertainment to create new action figures straight from the SECRET VAULT of Stan Lee himself! GREAT NECK, NY – February 4, 2019 – Mego Corporation, the original action figure toy creator, announced today that it has acquired a license to create new action figures from…

More...
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Very cool.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

So these will be Stan Lee created but non Marvel characters ?

Would the average person know any of them ? … sorry, not my area of expertise

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

Stan signed a lot of quasi deals with other creators for superheroes in the 2k's. It's an interesting approach for both sides. I like the idea of characters with no real deep history. Really comes down to the marketing.

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

I'm excited from a customizers perspective. Not sure how well Mego heroes no one has ever heard of will do for them tho. Even WITH Stan's face on the package. Seems like a very niche market they're after.

For me, I'm more excited about what this may lead to. Sounds like Marty is getting his foot back in the door so to speak with Marvel. If Mego rocks out these (which I'm sure they will) then that "might" lead to other exciting opportunities.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey

Would the average person know any of them ? … sorry, not my area of expertise
            No they don't but they know Stan Lee, does that carry it to purchase? Possibly? We'll find out.

PR wise this is a good idea.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• pmwasson
              Maker
              • Sep 12, 2007

I think a line of brightly colored costumed generic superheroes would be cool. Then adding Stan Lee's name to it might help with sales.
              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by pmwasson
                I think a line of brightly colored costumed generic superheroes would be cool. Then adding Stan Lee's name to it might help with sales.
                Sounds fun. I would love to see MC tap into the trove of superheroes that are not published by the big two. Marvel and DC are certainly a big part of MEGO history, but seeing other hero/comic figures on the shelves would be awesome. I am holding out for a Cerebus.

Comment

• Mego Newbie14
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 25, 2018

This is pretty cool. Can't wait to see what they come up with.

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

So POW! is the company that Stan filed and then dropped a billion dollar lawsuit for stealing his name and likeness after he left the company, and who basically exploited Stan's name without his consent or involvement. Not sure that's someone I would want to get in bed with business-wise. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...keness-1112313

-M
                    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Spyweb007
                      Persistent Member
                      • Apr 18, 2006

Stan had that "Who wants to be a Super-Hero" show several years back, and his company probably owns all those character costume designs they did back then. I think it actually ran 2 seasons.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by MRP
                        So POW! is the company that Stan filed and then dropped a billion dollar lawsuit for stealing his name and likeness after he left the company, and who basically exploited Stan's name without his consent or involvement. Not sure that's someone I would want to get in bed with business-wise. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...keness-1112313

-M
                        That was May. This was from July.

From some of the last interviews with Stan, it's not really clear who filed what. He signed a number of things he wasn't even aware of what they were. The guy was literally giving his blood away.

A lot of these characters aren't really born of Stan. He founded POW to build an IP library, cast a wide contractor net, and never really got it off the ground. While the implosion of Platinum Studios did a lot of damage to the non-established properties market, he was never able to shake the ghost of Stan Lee Media. That truly ruined his latter career.

If it was SLM, I would say you were dead right and Mego should avoid them like a plague.

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

Stan Lee’s name on Mego super hero figures will be a buy for me.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by pmwasson
                            ^This. Let's see some spandex. Oven mitts. Glossy boots. Silk screens. Helmets.

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

Once these are released, I will definitely check them out for potential customs.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎