X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KingKickass1983
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2019

Scale question..

Working on a custom figure, but I have a question concerning scale.

How does the 6 inch teen female MEGO buck compare with the 8 inch version?

Is anyone familiar wit Marvel Legends? are the teen mego bucks about the same size?
    Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I know the males are about the same as ML. I've used an Angel figure for customs before and the size is about the same.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• darklord1967
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 27, 2008

In my own customizing experience, (and in my own humble view) Marvel Legends female characters may be “about the same size” as 6 inch MEGO female bucks, however they are NOT compatible scale-wise... not without considerable kit-bashing / re-sculpting work.

This comes down to (not only just) a question of suitable scale, (but also) a question of suitable body proportions.

It’s important to understand that (as it is), MEGO did not really concern themselves too much with proper (comparable) female character scale size (in relation to adult male characters). The truth of the matter is an 8 inch MEGO female (with their typical oversized craniums), standing next to your average MEGO male character just looks freakishly tall... and lanky (particularly with those spindly arms and legs).

Very few real-life women stand as tall as, say, Superman, at 6’4”. So an 8 inch Superman would NOT properly be accompanied by an 8 inch tall Supergirl. Her correct (in scale) height would be closer to 7 inches. That would represent an adequately sized “petite” young woman standing between 5’2” and 5’4” (depending upon footwear).

The 6 inch MEGO “female”, originally created for the “Our Gang” Darla Figure, was meant (scale wise) to represent a pre-pubescent little girl (8 or 9 years old) Her height (when compared to 8 inch adult male characters) is actually more or less correct. However, her body proportions incorrectly represent more of a very young pre-teen girl (12 or 13 years old).

Now, the anatomical female sculpt work on 6 inch scale Marvel Legends Action Figures is really quite good. Very nice proportions, and very nice representation of the athletic female form.

The trouble is the majority of 6” Marvel Legends female characters are sculpted as ADULT WOMEN characters. So, Attempting to use any of those sculpts for 6 inch MEGO sized female customs will result in custom MEGO characters that (scale wise) have the height of a little girl of about 8 or 9 years old, but with the physical properties of an adult woman.

Freakish.

The 6 inch scale, therefore, is NOT visually compatible with 1:9 scale MEGO characters. In 1:9 scale, an average height adult MEGO female should stand approximately 7.25” (equaling about a 5’6” - 5’8” real life woman).

However, the GOOD NEWS is the peripheral body parts of some of those 6 inch Marvel Legends figures (male or female) can (and often do )work very well with the creation of custom MEGO smaller characters like imps, elves, dwarves, children, and petite young women.

In my 1:9 scale customizing work, for example, I have been known to utilize body parts from many toy lines of other scales (including 6 inch Marvel Legends OR DC Icons or Mattel WWF). But they tend to get altered, re-sculpted, or re-applied in some way so that the size is properly compatible with MEGO scale.

For example, a 6 inch Marvel Legends, DC Icons, or Mattel WWF adult male character’s HANDS will NOT look correct directly transferred over to a custom MEGO sized adult male’s wrists.

However, some of those same hands very often look GREAT applied to custom MEGO child, teen, or female characters.

In response to my own desperate desire for an improved MEGO-sized female that had attractive female proportions and a suitable height, I recently put together THIS 1:9 scaled custom “athletic female” body (standing at a proper 7 inches in height), using combined body parts from Zica, MEGO, Mattel Retro Action, Marvel Legends, Mattel WWF, and Masters of the Universe!

Last edited by darklord1967; Feb 28, '19, 9:20 AM.
      I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎