Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any fans of Comics Magazines like Heavy Metal, Vampirella, Savage Sword of Conan?

Marvel released a host of Conan True Believer issues (2 per week) to coincide with the release of the new Conan titles starting in January and running through this past week. I think there were 10-12 Conan True Believer issues overall, and the one you mention was indeed one of them. At a buck each, I couldn't resist picking them all up even though I had all the original issues they reprinted.

-M

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Marvel released a host of Conan True Believer issues (2 per week) to coincide with the release of the new Conan titles starting in January and running through this past week. I think there were 10-12 Conan True Believer issues overall, and the one you mention was indeed one of them. At a buck each, I couldn't resist picking them all up even though I had all the original issues they reprinted.

-M
    I found 9 of them yesterday, across three Conan titles and one reprint of a "What If?'. I have a pretty good run of original "Conan the Barbarian" from when I was a kid and filling in the blanks as an adult, but I've certainly never had a #1 and #4!

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedji View Post
    I think I want to BE Rook.

Weird that we live in an age where we can literally put ANY vision on screen, but there's so much pulpy paperback cover imagery and sci fi art that gets ignored by Hollywood art departments.
    Given how awesome and fun the concept of "Time Travelling Sci-Fi Cowboy" is, I'm always astonished that the revivals NEVER embrace the pulpy visual iconography.

the 90's version is no less ridiculous looking than a cowboy.

the latest version. A leather jacket is just so generic in this day and age.

Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 10, '19 at 6:50 PM.

Oh wow, not even close.
    SELL ME YOUR LOOSE MINTY WONDER WOMAN!

Images
    Blog Entries
    Also Awesome. The Time Machine is a Giant Chess Piece! It's the whole reason why the character is called "The Rook". Lean into that like Doctor Who leans into his Police Call Box. Otherwise what sets The Rook apart? Time Travelling Leather Jacket Guy doesn't stand out at all if he doesn't have any associated iconography.

I love everything about that. Comic book storytelling has changed so much since then.
    SELL ME YOUR LOOSE MINTY WONDER WOMAN!

Man, I loved all those Marvel mags, and the Warren stuff too. Oh, and Heavy Metal. As a kid they seemed expensive, but the "subversiveness" made the extra money worth it!

First issue of Cauldron was great, looking forward to issue number two!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedji View Post
    Comic book storytelling has changed so much since then.
    By that you mean now it's all sitcom dialogue punctuated by heavy-handed violence or sex on mostly pin-up looking pages instead of actual storytelling?

The Rook...Han Solo and Dr. Who and a dash of Roland the Gunslinger.

Images
    ^ and on the cover of The Rook Archives Volume One that samurainoir posted in post #23, he looks a heck of a lot like Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry.