Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any fans of Comics Magazines like Heavy Metal, Vampirella, Savage Sword of Conan?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Any fans of Comics Magazines like Heavy Metal, Vampirella, Savage Sword of Conan?

Heavy Metal is still around, but on the whole, I really miss the mature readers comics magazines we had back in the day on the newsstands. What were some of your favourite titles?

I really loved the Warren titles like Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella. Marvel's Savage Sword of Conan, Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, The Rampaging Hulk, Monster's Unleashed, and Epic Illustrated.

If you're a fan, consider checking out Cauldron Magazine, which successfully launched last year inspired by many of those favourites from the 70's/80's. The Kickstarter campaign for the latest issue is underway and the project was funded in 8 hours, reached the first stretch goal and was 200% Funded within 36 Hours. The new volume features Supernatural Tales of Ghosts, Werewolves, Creatures, Witches and Demons.

COVER BY ADAM GORHAM (ROCKET RACCOON, NEW MUTANTS, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, ARCHIE COMICS' JUGHEAD: THE HUNGER). Original Art is available as a kickstarter reward.

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I read a lot of Heavy Metal in college. We carried it at the comic shop I worked at. We kept it on the top shelves, because my boss was always afraid of someone freaking out over them.

Drunna comes to mind...and I understand why he was so worried! WOW!!!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
      A Ray of Sunshine
      • Jun 17, 2001

I was a huge fan of the Conan and Kazer magazines

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

Bought a lot of "Savage Sword of Conan" as a high schooler and tapered off to the occasional one in my early twenties. Found a used book store when I went through school in Pensacola in 1990 and they had back issues of Punisher Magazine. Bought about 10 or 12 of those while I was there. I miss the gritty-themed black and white comics like those.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I was barely able to buy mainstream comics when I was a kid, the more expensive "racy" B&W mags were off-limits. But, a kid my mother babysat had Savage Sword of Conan issues and I was mesmerized, it was like softcore to middle-school me.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

I have a complete run of Savage Sword of Conan (and Savage Tales), and a complete run of the first 5 years of Heavy Metal (it starts to go downhill a bit in the mid 80s imo). I also have a near complete run of Epic Illustrated (need 3 issues) and am working on runs of Star* Reach, Imagine, Quack, etc. and some Warren Titles (Eerie, 1984/1994, Creepy) as I find them at shows. I also have a fair number of the Marvel mags too (Rampaging Hulk, Bizarre Adventures, Marvel Premiere, Kull & the Barbarians, Tomb of Dracula, Haunt of Horror etc.).

I am a big fan of the the larger magazine format for comic art (either in b&w or in color). I haven't picked up much of the current crop of retro styled comic magazines though.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Loved Savage Sword and the other b&w Marvel magazines. Also a big fan of Epic Illustrated and Heavy Metal. And I picked up issues of Creepy and Eerie whenever I could find them on the racks.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Never had any of those but I did have like 20 issues of the Curtis POTA mag. I even had an issue of Hulk

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

I was always a bit disappointed that they were black and white. They had such great painted covers. I'm a huge Bob Larkin fan. Plus there were so many. If I had another life to live, or more hours in the day, I'm sure I'd be a big fan, because I love the creepy vibe they had.

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    "racy" B&W mags were off-limits. But, a kid my mother babysat had Savage Sword of Conan issues and I was mesmerized, it was like softcore to middle-school me.
                    My cousin "Richie" who was a few years older somehow acquired a hidden stash of Warren treasures (with lots of Conan) under his mattress. It was like a forbidden ritual when he pulled them out and we'd <bug-eye> and <Aahh!> in wonder at pages full of B/W goodness. Also something about the paper, ink and beautiful line-work and contrast in those old mags… the new ones that try and riff on that nostalgia just don't do it for me. I'd rather spend time with a brown dog-earred, folded original… the ads alone are worth revisiting.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

I also remember wishing the interiors art of many of these magazines matched the painted glory of the covers.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Interior art from Cauldron Magazine. A Comics Magazine of Supernatural Tales.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

The Rook was also a cool b&w magazine from Warren Publishing. I especially liked Alfredo Alcala's barbarian hero Voltar.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Look at that Bob Larkin cover. I'd pay any ticket price to see something like that realized in cinema on the big screen.

Comment

• Makernaut
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2015

Archive.org has a lot of these types of magazines scanned in and you can read them online.

Main Collection of all magazines
                              https://archive.org/details/magazine_rack

Warren Publishing's Titles
                              https://archive.org/details/warrenpublishing

Heavy Metal Magazine
                              https://archive.org/details/heavy-metal-magazine

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎