X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

The Werwolf (1956)

I watched this for the first time on Svengoolie this past weekend and I really enjoyed it. A different take on the werewolf mythos, adding in the 50s science/atomic scare angle. A tale perhaps even more tragic than Larry Talbot, since this titular wolfman had a family and in no way asked for the fate that befell him.

I feel the movie is a bit smarter than a lot of similar films. People react to the situation in a far more believable manner than what we usually see, just to move the plot along at the pace desired.

The werewolf makeup was pretty nice, and was created by Clay Campbell, who created the look for the Andreas character in the excellent Return of the Vampire in 1943, and then again in a Three Stooges short, all for Columbia.

And does anyone else think Don Megowan, who played the sheriff, would have been perfect as Captain Marvel in the 50s?

Chris
    sigpic
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Man, he was a dead ringer for CM!!!!!!!!
    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^He was 6'6" or 6'7" too, Hec. So He could fill out that big red uniform!

Also, just like Tom Tyler who played both CM and The Mummy, he played the Gillman in The Creature Walks Among Us, AND The Frankenstein Monster in the unreleased Tales of Frankenstein pilot produced by both Universal and Hammer.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎