• Treadwell
    Museum Super Collector
    • Dec 31, 2018

Klingon and POTA Soldier pants

Are they the same?
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Not really. T1 tights can fit differently than t2s, and the fabric type and especially the color can vary--particularly regarding the various issues of the Soldier Ape & General Ursus.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Treadwell
      Museum Super Collector
      • Dec 31, 2018

Ah, were POTS all T1? Never realized that, but makes sense.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I think POTA wave 2 came in both versions. Member Confessional here is an expert on those variations.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Treadwell
          Museum Super Collector
          • Dec 31, 2018

I was asking because I'm going to have one or two naked klingons coming my way, and a guy on ebay is selling ape soldier pants.
          But I also see that Dr Mego sells brown body suits....for less, even. I'll just get a couple of those and chop them in half if necessary. Good enough for my own display purposes.

Thanks!

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Treadwell
            Ah, were POTS all T1? Never realized that, but makes sense.
            There are/were indeed T2 Soldier Apes... Ursus and Urko both came on T1 and T2 bodies as well...

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Treadwell
              I was asking because I'm going to have one or two naked klingons coming my way, and a guy on ebay is selling ape soldier pants.
              While there *are* variations in the fabric, I tend to find that a lot of the Soldier Ape pants have just a tinge of "red" to them compared to the Klingon pants... In short, Soldier Ape pants tend to be lighter than Klingon pants a good amount of the time... I think your idea of using Dr. Mego body suits may match better with Klingon tops... One thing with the body suits, when you receive them, you may want to cut the sleeves off because I don't think Klingon sleeve would fit over the body suit sleeves very well... (Unless you were going to cut the body suit at the waist and put elastic on them to make pants?)

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

CTVT also has brown Ape pants

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

As referenced above, most US Soldier Apes knits do not match the Klingons, but there are around 12 different colors of brown knits that do show up across the line. You will find Klingon knit used more often in the Palitoy-Bradgate Apes, but that's challenge all in itself.

My advice is to try and match the tights to the tunic color; giving you a good looking alien. There are many ST expert collectors here who should be able to help dress your figures… post a wanted thread in the Marketplace.

While we are on the topic, there are some interesting crossovers between ST and POTA tunics, with Gorn/Klingon vinyl colors also used on Soldier Apes and Cornelius/Galen. My childhood T2 Gorn has the classic brown/burgundy, and freshly-freed T2 Klingon sports the Palitoy bright purple. Also of note, red-lined vinyl is common in ST but pretty rare in Apes only showing up early Zira chest vinyl, Corny arm bands, Brown Soldiers, an is ultra mega-rare on Silver Soldiers.
                  Last edited by Confessional; Jan 30, '19, 12:13 PM. Reason: … everyday is Ape Day!

Comment

• TheMegoGuy
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Jan 26, 2014

Originally posted by Confessional
                    Also of note, red-lined vinyl ... is ultra mega-rare on Silver Soldiers.
                    Would love to see pictures!

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I'm still hunting one and sadly/stupidly I didn't start saving images of other's collections until a few years ago. But if I recall the last one to make the rounds came out of Mike J's [spectacular!] collection… I thought it was carded too, maybe he remembers or will chime in.

Comment

• TheMegoGuy
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Jan 26, 2014

Originally posted by Confessional
                        ^^ I'm still hunting one and sadly/stupidly I didn't start saving images of other's collections until a few years ago. But if I recall the last one to make the rounds came out of Mike J's [spectacular!] collection… I thought it was carded too, maybe he remembers or will chime in.
                        Thanks. I had never heard of that variation before.

Comment

• Treadwell
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Dec 31, 2018

Thanks for the tip about CTVT, which was unknown to this newb. Some neat stuff there and reasonably priced.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎