Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Ever Think About... (GASP!) Selling Your Collection?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

The cycle of collecting is life and death… components of happiness in a life-lived, which happens to be pretty short, strange and difficult for most folks.

I've collected, created, bought, sold, inherited, given away, destroyed, many things finding interest in art, objects, antiques, toys, vintage art supplies, books, music, instruments, and curiousities of all kinds. Our house isn't full of boxed and closeted collections, rather we live among/with the things that bring us proverbial as well as uncommon joy. They inform life and our work as artists.

I've always thought if you build anything, such as collection [sic] of any kind, and in doing so it causes you grief or becomes a burden, then you probably made some poor choices along the way or need to make some priority-based decisions with larger implication/purpose. Sometimes that's an emergency, sometimes it's a process.

Collecting toys is (and should be) crazy fun. Full of playful alchemy and imagination, creativity, and cognitive learning. If I die in a pile of Apes, and had fun along way, then so be it! 1000 Apes?, Yeah, I'm cool with that and still collecting.

Comment

• VintageMike
      Permanent Member
      • Dec 16, 2004

I'm doing a minor thinning out with comics now. Anything newer I happened to keep that isn't one of my core intrests (like Spider-Man) is being sold off. The only other time I think about selling? It's because I want something else in for another collection. I also know I've sold stuff in the past, only to have to pay a higher price to get them back. So for now I'm happy purging modern comics because it's all win. Frees up space, I get a few bucks and I know they aren't something I'll wanting back. I'm sure they'll come I day I take it farther, But I can pretty much guarentee, I'll be keeping my Spider-Man comics (ASM, Spectacular, Team-Up & Web), carded Star Wars and carded WGSH until they pour dirt on me. If anything what I'm finding out is my collecting interets have shifted due to a variety of factors. It's an easier choice to say by something wrestling related that I'll put on display in my wreslting mini-museum (a.k.a. the basement) than buying something that will sit in a closet or box.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

Oh yes. Limited space and 2 kids have always kept my collection from getting what I consider ridiculous. Still find it hard to leave a dollar hot wheels batmobile in the shelf haha. Got rid of at least a hundred figures in the last 6 months. Making a very tight focus. Right now my favorite part has been building out my Homebrew AJ line.

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

Absolutely. Once I finally got a toy room to myself and realized everything I had collected was just not going to fit.

Had a major purge over a couple of years ago and am now trying to more a lot of odd ball lines I still have taking up space. I'm hoping to move a lot at Mego Meet.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎