X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Negative Man step-by-step

Tried to do a photographic step-by-step here, but was sick at the time and eventually just wanted to get him done before I fell asleep on him, so only some pics.

Okay, only got part way through this before I got tired and just finished, but here we go:
    Head: Started with a new Mego Fonzie head (nice prominent nose and deep set eyes that would show well covered by material). Chopped his hair off and resculpted the head bald and just a tad undersized (allowing for a few layers of material to be added). Painted the whole thing white so any darker colors wouldn’t show through the thin, white material. Took a glue stick and glued two pieces of material tightly onto the head; didn’t sew it together to keep it flat, and covered the seam with one of the smaller white strips. Began gluing slim white strips onto the head to build up the bandaged appearance, trying to keep and emphasize the facial features showing through the material. Widened the neck hole just enough for the head to fit back in nice and tight.

negmanhead.jpg
    Top: I use patterns made from Contact adhesive and stick them right on the material (the sticky goes away fast, so I usually have some tape doubled over on the back of the patterns to hold them in place), then just sew right around the pattern. I did this to sew the main body of the top, then slid it up the body, folding the top over a little as I went. A careful cut down the side makes the arm holes, and I quickly took some thread to sew the end of the cut so it wouldn’t run down the side. I then overhand the folded material at the top of the shoulders and trim any extra material in the arm holes. I then sewed the sleeve around that pattern and cut off the excess material, then turned it right side out. I slid it up the arm and just folded the top over a bit as I slid it over the end of the arm hole. I overhand the sleeve top onto the shoulder, then cut the extra off the end by the hand and use a small piece of tape to secure it in place so the glove can go over it. (Then I remember he doesn’t have gloves and needs a cuff on the end of the sleeve, and thus proceed to remove the incorrect sleeve and start over.) I do the same on the other side (correctly the first time) and the basic top is done.

negmantop.jpg
    Overlay on the top: I cut out the overlay (front and back at the same time) and glue the side edges over, then sew the tops/shoulders together on what will be the inside, and glue seam the neck. Since it’s white over red, I glue an extra piece of material on the inside to keep the red from showing through in the middle. I then put a little glue stick on the underside of the overturned edges and carefully position the overlay in place. Once satisfied it’s even front and back, I overhand both edges onto the red top. A thin strip of tape goes around the waist, tucking it onto the convenient space between the torso and the crotch piece of the figure, and cut of the extra at the bottom.

negmantop2.jpg
    Now what’s not shown: I do the pants legs the same as the arms, just leaving a good amount of material above the end of the seam (which is at the crotch of the figure when slipped on). Still inside out, I take both legs and seam straight up the top extra material from the crotch in the front, then do the same at the back but at a slight inward angle to make a better fit on the figure. I often have to do a few extra stitches right at the center of the crotch just to make sure there’s no gaps/holes there when they go on the figure. I slide the pants up and tape the top into the waist joint like I did the top. Then I carefully overhand the pants top to the top’s bottom all the way around. I tape the legs at the ankles and cut off the extra material.

The boots are basically a pair of socks. The top was folded over and glued in place, then the material folded and the pattern stuck on so the top lines up with the folded top glue seam. Cut off the excess, turn inside out and slip on. The hands are simple white gloves going up under the sleeve cuffs (again taped; I still tape a lot of the end parts because it’s smoother under the thin material I use). A couple small strips of white were glued to each for the bandage look. The belt is just a piece of purple material folded over and glued, slipped through a doll belt buckle, and then overhanded in the back. Last step is to plug the head into the neck hole, and he’s done.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

The way you did his head is awesome.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍