X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

What was your first comic book?

(Don't think I've ever posted in the Comic Book Section before, so I did a Search to see if this topic had been covered; couldn't find anything, so please forgive me if it had.)

For me, it was World's Finest Comics #213 from '72. I was 6. I don't remember anything about the comic, other than the cover; that creepy image of Superman and The Atom stayed with me all these years.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

I'm not sure what my first comic looked at was, probably something given to me to keep me occupied at the bowling alley on Sunday League Night while my parents were bowling, I remember lots of cartoon oriented comics from Gold Key and such but nothing specific. The first comic I remember owning and having at the house was Batman #250 from the spring/summer of '73...

I was three about to turn four when it came out (it was cover dated July, the month of my birthday but went on sale in May), and I remember the back up story (The Batman Nobody Knows) much more vividly than the main story. The back up was about a bunch of underprivileged kids Bruce Wayne too camping and each told what they thought Batman was like around the campfire-I thought some looked really cool and some scared me. The main story was set in a wax museum but other than that nothing stood out for me. It was a few years before I started getting comic regularly (early '75) with my allowance. I read this own so many times, it was coverless and lost the first couple of wraps.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

Daredevil #109. Went down to the stationary that was down the block from my house and picked this up. Probably didn't fully comprehend what I bought...5 years old. Funny thing is I've always been a DC kid/adult...and the first book is a Marvel comic book:

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

J.B.! What a great idea for a forum topic!

Mine was the DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #6 (with that amazing Neal Adams cover)

I was so excited when I discovered the internet ~1997, and I finally found the cover and info on this comic. It was released after July 15, 1971: It even sported that "World's Greatest Super-Heroes!" subtitle. I was very, very young, but I clearly remember when I received it from my Dad. At the time, I remember it being confusing and curious that there were 2 Batman and 2 Robins on the wraparound cover. I used to call Robin "Ghee Man"(haha, because of the shape of his shoes,and they were green...it's possible I was still working out how to pronounce green, or I made up the word to symbolize the shape & colour of those interesting elf boots).

Last edited by comicmike; Jan 29, '19, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

I remember this one specifically. I picked up a lot these 100 pagers as they had tons of characters and stories in them. I really remember Paul Kirk biting the dust in the main story.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• phil
            Persistent Member
            • May 11, 2007

I think mine was Batman #223 which was a Giant issue. If it wasn't that issue it was something Batman related. I may have picked it out but someone bought it for me.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I've been trying to nail that down for years. The first one I remember buying, or showing to my sister, who showed it to my Mom, who then bought it was this one:

I was only 3 years old...and I know I had super hero and Archie comics before this!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

The first on I remember buying for myself was "Adventures on the Planet of the Apes" #2. I'm sure there were others before this one, but this one stands out because I was caught up in the whole Ape Craze as I am sure many of you were.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Makernaut; Jan 29, '19, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

I think mine was DC Tarzan 1972, I just remember seeing Tarzan and Achie comics in the neighborhood barber shop
                  and thought how cool Tarzan was, plus I also remember watching the Weissmuller Tarzan movies on television after the Saturday morning cartoons.

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 14, 2012

This probably isn't my first comic book ever, but it's the earliest one I can specifically remember reading when I was kid: Superman 323 from 1978. Superman Vs. The Atomic Skull.
                    Superman 323.jpg

Comment

• Marvelmania
                      A Ray of Sunshine
                      • Jun 17, 2001

Mine was definitely a Gold Key Tarzan comic but I'll never remember which one it was.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

This, it always in our house. God knows how it got there, I always assumed it was my sisters but it was printed three years before she was born.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• YoungOnce
                          Career Member
                          • Aug 29, 2007

Where_Monsters_Dwell_Vol_1_28.jpg

This one... I was all about the monsters back then. Looking back at my boxes and boxes of old comics, I guess I have more Marvel horror reprints and DC's House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Ghosts, Weird War Tales, Witching Hour, etc... than any other genre.

Comment

• Treadwell
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Dec 31, 2018

Almost certainly one of these. All bought at my local 7-11, except spidey 128, which was coverless and sold to me by a "friend" for the ridiculous price of either 15 or 25 cents.

Comment

• Random Axe
                              The Voice of Reason
                              • Apr 16, 2008

Fantastic Four 186, the debut of Salem's Seven. I didn't find out till a few years ago that it was drawn by George Perez, who ended up as my alltime favorite along with Ross and Byrne. I really need to track down a copy sometime. I haven't priced it but I'm guessing it's not terribly pricey and I'm not a stickler on condition as I'm definitely going to read it again.
                              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎