X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures 6: Star Blazers toys by Nomura

This week's installment of Toy-Ventures is all about the amazing action figure line based on the Television series we knew as "Star Blazers".

I get into my personal love of this series and why this is the toyline I wish I could have had as a kid.

Visit us online at www.plaidstallions.com

Twitter: @plaidstallions
    [CENTER][URL="https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4_X_kGUS3DI/XEkfsdsMDNI/AAAAAAAAQfM/XPp3Iyg6OeMRBpMM2qZUs8IKtBZX2s2hQCLcBGAs/s1600/FullSizeRender.jpg"]

[/LEFT]

Don't forget to join our new facebook group.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

What scale are these? It helps to get that kind of information about any action figure line up front.

CCC.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Awesome figures. Star Blazers remains one of my all time favourite animated shows.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

I love these! First time seeing them. The packaging is so good.

Additionally, I think a sister line of figures and playsets from Battle of The Planets would have been awesome.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• LordMudd
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
          I love these! First time seeing them. The packaging is so good.

Additionally, I think a sister line of figures and playsets from Battle of The Planets would have been awesome.

- Ian
          From a much longer article which, like the author here, fails to denote the size or scale of the figures.

CCC

Diamond Select has started with Mark, Keyop and Princess for the first series of BOTP, to be followed by Jason, Tiny and Zoltar in series 2. Gabriel Marquez sculpted all the figures and their accessories in this line, and his work can also be seen in the Vampire: The Masquerade figures and the Ultimate Green Goblin bust, both from Diamond Select. Each of the figures has a weapon and mini-vehicle packed with it, and all the characters have at least one variant available. The mini-vehicles were sculpted by SOTA, whose work is widely available and can be seen on a larger scale in Palisades Resident Evil series 2 on several of the figures (including the licker). The mini-vehicles are all solid pieces and none of the wheels roll on them.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by LordMudd
            From a much longer article which, like the author here, fails to denote the size or scale of the figures.
            Yeah, that guy's my cousin, we made a blood oath to never mention scale.

BTW The figures are 3 meters tall, sure space is a little tough considering i live in what is basically a yert with a port-a-potty in the middle of the floor but the kids sleep under the playset every night.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by LordMudd
              What scale are these? It helps to get that kind of information about any action figure line up front.
              If not exactly 3 3/4" scale, they're damn close.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by EmergencyIan

Popy made a wonderful line of figures in scale with the Star Blazers line, same articulation too but sadly, no GodPhoenix playset.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                  Yeah, that guy's my cousin, we made a blood oath to never mention scale.

BTW The figures are 3 meters tall, sure space is a little tough considering i live in what is basically a yert with a port-a-potty in the middle of the floor but the kids sleep under the playset every night.
                  Toys come first, even if they are 3 meters tall.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Growing up, Speed Racer and Starblazers aired back to back at like 6am. I remember waking up and racing downstairs to watch them. Like you, I also felt they were more mature and sophisticated storytelling... and the fact that they were Japanese made them feel even cooler and more exotic. I had no idea they ever made any Starblazers toys. I would have absolutely blown my dome for these back then.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                      Popy made a wonderful line of figures in scale with the Star Blazers line, same articulation too but sadly, no GodPhoenix playset.

Oh, those are great! I may have to look for those at some point in the not too distant future, if they’re findable.

It makes sense that Japan would have great BOTP merchandise, but we really got starved out in North America, considering how popular the series was, here, for a couple of years. Even France had a line of figures, if I recall correctly.

Anyhow, the Star Blazers figures, and the playset, are the bees knees. Thanks for sharing them. If you hadn’t, they would have gone undiscovered by me. Very neat!

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I only vaguely know of Starblazers, but I knew BOTP when I was REALLY young. These are nice figures, and I dig the packaging, but that playset...THAT thing is awesome. I would have loved that playset for ANY toyline.

Another great video. And can I say I really love the opening to this series? The music and the footage of Stretch Monster just gets me excited every time.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Wow, those are fantastic. I imagine it must have been mind blowing, as an adult, to come across toys you didn't know existed from a beloved childhood cartoon.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Treadwell
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Dec 31, 2018

Thanks for the video, very cool toys! I'd love that Analyzer wind-up.

Star Blazers wasn't shown in my town, I didn't even hear about it until high school, and never even saw it until college (and even then it was Arrivederci Yamato, untranslated, at a comic con). Caught up years later.

My anime entry point was BOTP. Nice to see those Gatchaman toys up above, didn't know about those, either!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎