X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidCoppola
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 3, 2009

Not too excited about the 14" Wave 4.

I will be getting Aquaman and Black Manta, maybe Wonder Woman....But the Batman and Superman look cheap IMO. No belts, crude accents on the body suits, etc. The Joker? Well, seeing as I have the first one WITH the jacket...why buy it twice?
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by DavidCoppola
    I will be getting Aquaman and Black Manta, maybe Wonder Woman....But the Batman and Superman look cheap IMO. No belts, crude accents on the body suits, etc. The Joker? Well, seeing as I have the first one WITH the jacket...why buy it twice?
    The Batman at least will have a utility belt according to Dr. Mego. The pics we've seen were form prototypes that didn't have the belt yet.

While the new52 looks and repeats of the Trinity wouldn't be my first choice, what retailer is going to get to carry them if their sales pitch is "hey we got some new DC figures to sell but not Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman?" From a mass-market retailer point of view, not having the core 3 to sell to the public would be a non-starter, and the new52 looks are probably a work around to any lingering commitments to the clauses of the Target exclusivity deal that had the classic look. From the POV of a collector who has buying them form the first wave, I don't like it, but from a necessity perspective of transitioning from Target exclusive to product available to any retailer who wants to carry it, I understand the choice they made.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Yes, they're switching to new retailers, they need Batman, Captain Kirk, Dracula etc. I get that and frankly, I'm relieved to only buy Aquaman and Manta this go round.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

IMO the new52 figures are a mistake. The target audience for these figures isn't interested in these versions of the characters, and if they don't sell well, I fear it could send a false message that nobody wants more DC characters. Even though they're not the "big three", I think classic versions of secondary characters like Firestorm, Hawkman, Red Tornado, Martian Manhunter, Dr. Fate, etc. will still outsell new52 versions of Batman or Superman and day.

I'd buy multiples of classic 14" Bizarro or Parasite before I'd buy one new52 Superman.

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

I am also relieved to only have to hunt 14" Aquaman and Black Manta this time around.

I think the 14" line has a wider audience than the 8" line (I see kids, or adults buying these for kids) and they don't care about classic, New 52, or Rebirth as much as we do. They just want Batman, whether it's New 52, True Moves, or Stealth Mission.

And moving into new retailer space, Mego better have a Batman and Superman to sell, at the very least, especially in the Year of the Bat.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Where are pics of this new wave? I've only seen Aquaman and Black Manta?

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 14, 2012

Yeah I'm only excited about Aquaman and Black Manta, but I get why new retailers other than Target would want core DC characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and the Joker. So I'm totally cool with these variant figures, even if I personally don't plan on buying them. And my wallet could use the break, I don't necessarily need to be buying 6 new 14" figures all at once. And I'm assuming we'll have a bigger selection of all new figures as we roll on to waves 5 and 6 later, so there's still that to look forward to.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                Where are pics of this new wave? I've only seen Aquaman and Black Manta?

Chris
                Action Figures, NECA, Hasbro, Hot Toys, Funko, Monstarz, Star Wars, Batman, Godzilla, King Kong, Spider-Man, X-Men

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^Thanks.

The New 52 designs are surprising. They've been out of date for 2 and a half years now.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by MRP
                    The pics we've seen were form prototypes that didn't have the belt yet.
                    So, being prototypes, is it safe to assume that Aquaman will have green hands?

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• jayraytee
                      Career Member
                      • May 27, 2011

Yes that was answered on facebook.
                      My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• J.B.
                        Guild Navigator
                        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by jayraytee
                        Yes that was answered on facebook.
                        Facebook? Yikes, I avoid that more than Funko Pop; but thanks for the answer.
                        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• DavidCoppola
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 3, 2009

Yeah...so why not answer it here? This IS a Mego forum, yes?

Comment

• scott metzger
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 9, 2007

Yeah, no interest in the New 52 stuff, but I do see the reasons for it. But, honestly, right now, Aquaman and Manta are probably the bigger draw for retailers, with a huge hit of a movie and not a whole lot of merchandise out there.

Comment

• wise guy
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 29, 2014

The 52 Wonderwoman looks better than the first version.She might be my first 14" DC.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎